• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

No REAL pods in Ghana

Joe D., you need to be on the Travel Channel. I would get a TV to watch this.......

I can see it already, "Poor Choices, with J.T.Delaney": accidentally crossing the border into Russian-occupied Abkhazia, hanging out in not-quite-legal gold mining sites in Ghana, swimming in the flood swollen rapids of the upper Suriname river. I think there might be liability issues involved. :)

hehehe...that describes areas adjacent to all the mining sites here.

Shitto.......called that for a reason;)!Do it yourself ,it can be OK; eat it on the street ....and if your very lucky, you will just get an EXTREME case of the........need I say it?!!!!!Lots of pepper mixed with various old seafood here.....a. to hide the rotten taste, b. To not waste the food.
Never heard of the P-word. RedRed ,Gari,FuFu, and Chinam are basic staples......basically "starch" is the main staple (rice, casava pastes, corn pastes,fufu) served with a stew like Red Red.Shea nuts,Ground nuts etc.Some of this served in a gourmet setting prepared same same-can be fairly good.On the street its
subsistence type food, kept in very dubious forms of condition. As there are several tribal divisions in Ghana-the dishes very accordingly.As with many places in central and west Africa....good ole chinese food ,or more accurately "the local version" of same is the best bet for a safe eat; you can thank the wok for that , and its very high cooking temperatures.A slip into a storm drain/ sewer(same place) here in the central market would kill you short order.REALLY.

Our 1 malaria case just tested negative finally ;)!

PS Chinam is a "baitfish" and translates as any schooling jack near the coast. This is cut up and mixed with salt, and sold in open buckets at many of the markets.You won't catch Andrew Zimmer here anytime soon.Guaranteed.LOL

Just wanted to say I loved this post with all the pics. Thanks!

I have friends who regularly travel to Accra for drumming workshops. I've had the chance to go myself and this makes me want to go even more. I've never been because I hate the djembe - I'm more of a conga man.

Reminds me a little of Brazil. Other places I want to go are Guyana and Goa, especially for the chillies.

John

Shitto.......called that for a reason;)!Do it yourself ,it can be OK; eat it on the street ....and if your very lucky, you will just get an EXTREME case of the........need I say it?!!!!!

Need you say it? Yes, I guess you need to say it, because it doesn't make a lick of sense. Shito is about the safest fish product you will ever eat -- good grief, it's made by deepfrying powdered, dried shrimp with peppers, onion, tomato paste and ginger! It keeps just fine. In Gbe, 'shitor' = 'pepper'.

This is not exactly the "edgy" side of Ghanaian food. Hell -- it's not even grasscutter or brown snails. I take it you haven't come across bat soup, or discovered palm wine grubs.

Lots of pepper mixed with various old seafood here.....a. to hide the rotten taste, b. To not waste the food.

I can honestly say I was never served bad seafood or anything rotten in Ghana. They probably just don't like you. :)

PS Chinam is a "baitfish" and translates as any schooling jack near the coast. This is cut up and mixed with salt, and sold in open buckets at many of the markets.You won't catch Andrew Zimmer here anytime soon.Guaranteed.LOL

Chinam is sold in grocery stores even here in boring-old Minnesota -- the dried version is good with beer. Our local-boy-made-good Andrew Zimmer may not have done a show about Ghana, but Anthony Bourdain certainly did (and liked it... A LOT.) http://www.hulu.com/...vcomaff&cmp=913

Nightshade said:
I think the gaboon viper has a nickname of the two stepper because you get bit take two steps and you're dead I think I read that on a national geographic
I heard it was the black mamba that is the two step snake. Could be both, in a similar fashion to how a daddy long-legs can refer to lots of stuff.

There are many so-called two step snakes. Both the gaboon and mambas are deadly, though I'd be much more worried if I got tagged by a mamba.

Also, there's no such thing as a poisonous snake. They are venomous. Jellyfish are venomous. Wasps have venom. Etc. Poisonous means you're in trouble if you eat it ie a mushroom or that particular part of the puffer fish you're not supposed to ingest or bleach.

That's a nice looking gaboon by the by. And the bourdain episode was pretty good if I remember correctly.

AaronRiot said:
There are many so-called two step snakes. Both the gaboon and mambas are deadly, though I'd be much more worried if I got tagged by a mamba.

Also, there's no such thing as a poisonous snake. They are venomous. Jellyfish are venomous. Wasps have venom. Etc. Poisonous means you're in trouble if you eat it ie a mushroom or that particular part of the puffer fish you're not supposed to ingest or bleach.

That's a nice looking gaboon by the by. And the bourdain episode was pretty good if I remember correctly.
Here where I live we have green mambas,killed one 2 weeks ago,and almost got bitten by a cape cobra yesterday.
We also have a lot of puff adders,night adders and brown house snakes.
We live on a farm,so we see a lot of snakes,at least one snake a week

Reactions: SL3
chilli whisperer said:
Here where I live we have green mambas,killed one 2 weeks ago,and almost got bitten by a cape cobra yesterday.

Just lost my respect.

chilli whisperer said:
We need photos!!!

Green Mambas as lightening fast, extremely poisonous snakes. Not territorial like the Black Mamba can be, but very dangerous around people and farm animals. I hate to see snakes killed, too, but with this type of snake I bet sometimes you have no choice. 

Back