• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Noob in Need of Grow Light... Help

Im looking for a grow light to start some plants and have them inside for the winter. The only problem is i dont have $100 dollars to go out and waste on an expensive grow light.
So i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get on that is reliable and cheap for a good price. Soo anyone know? :mope:

You will have to do your own search for lighting.
Commercial lighting vendors all have similar prices for similar hardware.
Find an electrical contractor/supply house near you and find out what they have that is used.

This might be helpful if you are just starting out and don't want to spend too much.
I think they are available at Home Depot as well.

Hydrofarm JSV4 4-foot Jump Start T5 Grow light system.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001XLSGQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0063KFENY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H64D2Y14407C3ZAHRYZ

Quantity of light is generally more important than quality of light. I used to use cool white $1, 48" bulbs from the box stores years ago with fine results for starting and keeping plants alive. For flowering you generally are better off using higher intensity sources.

If you're short on cash, craigslist is probably a good bet!

Not hot, warm. Keep it around 75-80. O get the best results there.

I know i dont wanna kill them lol i just leave my xbox on during the day and it keeps my room around 75 - 80.

2012-07-05181536.jpg

My new set up :party:

be very careful with the dome on your plants...when the seedlings emerge, that hot, moist environment is the precursor to troubles....

I know a lot of people use them and I did my first time growing chilis' from seed, but never again....

I love the dome in my experience just because it maintains the heat, but i lift the lid and dump the excess water off daily, and once they start sprouting... i prop it up a little (lay the lid at a bit of an angle leaving the corners open, so the moisture level is lower)

EDIT: once they have all sprouted, sprouts are getting too big, or enough have sprouted, remove lid altogether

Back