• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Noob transplant question...

Hey guys and gals,

I am in 4", .5 pint nursery pots. All of them have 4 or 5 leave sets except for the Trinidad moruga scorpions, they are starting on their 3rd. Obviously the jalapeno and numex varieties are getting pretty big... Should I wait longer until rootbound? What do you all think?

also do ya'll think I should go up to a size #3 pot? or the one below that so I can fit more under the light for now?

I leave mine in the 4x4 pots until time to outside. You should be fine in that pot  but if you have the lighting then you can pot up to the next size or even a gallon. Its all about what you have to work with. Me I have 1000s so they have to stay in 4x4 pots.

Great question OP.  I was wondering the same...  I have a bunch I might let ride in 72 cell tray until plant out.  It will be about 7 weeks.

Im using 3x3 square pots and keep them in these until they get about 10"-12" tall and move to 1 gallon bags. All mine will go into anywhere from 5-20 gallon pots come spring.

Root bound isn't a bad thing, just cut the bound roots prior to transplant. My plant's get about 3x that size in red plastic solo cupsbefore starting to become root bound, once you pot up they tend to explode in size and if space and lighting is a concern then just keep them in small pots and they will be fine.

Back