• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

normal buds dropping.

guys is it normal for the plant to drop buds? my topped plant is very bushy and produce lots of buds some are holding on some are dropping off, my theory is maybe bec the plants cant hold too much buds. correct me if im wrong. :)

10246478_10203121786421794_6903328973247192450_n.jpg

mrgrowguy said:
Grown indoors or out?

Under full, medium, or light sun? Or, what wattage light?

Soil?

im growing in soil, 5 galon bucket, outside the 2nd floor veranda. so it gets sun for about 5 hours. then put it in shade. i must say medium sun.

Thought it could be a light thing, but the situation sounds pretty good.

I had 100% flower drop rate under a 125watt light while the pants were 2/3 that size. But about a month after putting them outside under the shade cloth, they were all fruiting already and almost every flower sets. Now, I'd say about 5 of every 60 or so drop.

I could try another guess and ask if you are using a very nitrogen high nutrient solution or soil mixture. Some plants need a good bloom mixture to keep the flowers. But you really don't want to over fertilize or you could burn them, so if your soil is newish, then you should be good to just wait a little. The plant will get stronger as it grows and supporting buds won't be a problem very soon by the looks of your plant. My plants are in Fox Farm soil with lots of perlite, so they are decently high in nitrogen, but I already have dozens of fruits set and growing per plant. But I did start germinating in November.

Figured I'd through out some ideas to maybe help out, but it has been a very prevalent topic of many posts on this forum. So with my experience and everything that I have read from others, there may be a particular reason, but it seems to happen often and just about everyone ends up getting a good harvest in the long run.

Good luck to you!

mrgrowguy said:
Thought it could be a light thing, but the situation sounds pretty good.

I had 100% flower drop rate under a 125watt light while the pants were 2/3 that size. But about a month after putting them outside under the shade cloth, they were all fruiting already and almost every flower sets. Now, I'd say about 5 of every 60 or so drop.

I could try another guess and ask if you are using a very nitrogen high nutrient solution or soil mixture. Some plants need a good bloom mixture to keep the flowers. But you really don't want to over fertilize or you could burn them, so if your soil is newish, then you should be good to just wait a little. The plant will get stronger as it grows and supporting buds won't be a problem very soon by the looks of your plant. My plants are in Fox Farm soil with lots of perlite, so they are decently high in nitrogen, but I already have dozens of fruits set and growing per plant. But I did start germinating in November.

Figured I'd through out some ideas to maybe help out, but it has been a very prevalent topic of many posts on this forum. So with my experience and everything that I have read from others, there may be a particular reason, but it seems to happen often and just about everyone ends up getting a good harvest in the long run.

Good luck to you!
shall i put it in a 100% shade? one more thing 3 days now before huge flower drops climate gone wild it will be sunny in the morning till 2pm then rain will suddenly drop. can that be the case? i'm feeding my plant with 10 15 30 and epsom salt 1nce a week

I use 50% nylon on extreme heat days here in the summer.Did not hold the plants back on flowers or buds.I think my main problem was the nighttime lows being in the upper 70's and low 80's that pissed them off.Once the overnight temp dropped my flowers and buds took off agaIn.
  But ask the pro's,I'm just winging it.Good luck. ;)

i will just water them with normal i wont fertilze them. i'll just hope the blooms wont drop.. :(

ant thank you all for your response keep sharing your knowledge for the past 10 months of growing havent had a pod :(

To me it's normal to have some plants dropping a lot of buds, especially when they're still doing a lot of growing. I found that it also depends a lot on which kind of plant you're growing: my white habaneros always tend to drop prettymuch every bud the first month or so they're making them while plants like fish pepper and aji limon dont tend to drop any at all. It seems to be worse when its getting really warm, like above 35 °C in the shade.

from now on. i'll just let the plant do his thing i wont spray anything i'll let the plant grow on its own. then wait till the plants produce pods. i'lm planning on going big this season just waiting for my germination medium bec i got 3/90 success rate in germ last month. :( and waiting for seeds too. ran out of it. :) thank you everyone for your response..

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot 
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

The 10% N might be the problem...I'm having the same problem with my first time indoor grow...loosing 90% of the flowers..and only 20 or so pods on big plant.

However I'm doing hydro with the GH flora series which is hard the get the right ratios and traces....going to try and track down some GH maxibloom today which is a 5-15-14 with lots of trace.

That said it seems many soil growers have good luck with just straight miracle grow...which I think has a high N.

What do you do for the cal/mg?

Also what is the humidity down there...probably high like 70-90%?

Dreamweaver said:
The 10% N might be the problem...I'm having the same problem with my first time indoor grow...loosing 90% of the flowers..and only 20 or so pods on big plant.

However I'm doing hydro with the GH flora series which is hard the get the right ratios and traces....going to try and track down some GH maxibloom today which is a 5-15-14 with lots of trace.

That said it seems many soil growers have good luck with just straight miracle grow...which I think has a high N.

What do you do for the cal/mg?

Also what is the humidity down there...probably high like 70-90%?

31° with 76% humidity.

cal and mag. i use epsom salt and calcium tabs :))))

i use 10-15-30 ferts when i know its blooming..

right now im thinking of letting it mature more. and wont add ferts.

nzchili said:
tomato food worked great for me. my plants used to drop lots of flowers, now i give them tomato food and they are holding onto them great 

the only available here in my country i mean the handy is. spikes tomato food is that okay? slow release?
nzchili said:
tomato food worked great for me. my plants used to drop lots of flowers, now i give them tomato food and they are holding onto them great 
71mv6iuMhAL._SL1500_.jpg

this is the only available :)

Your plant looks a little over fertilized, very dark leaves, slightly leathery. Stick to straight water for a while. 

What variety of pepper is it? Is it something that normally grows well in your area or are you trying to grow a special variety from far off lands?

PepperWhisperer said:
Your plant looks a little over fertilized, very dark leaves, slightly leathery. Stick to straight water for a while. 

What variety of pepper is it? Is it something that normally grows well in your area or are you trying to grow a special variety from far off lands?

sorry mate i dont know bec the tag was lost in their early days. but im sure one of these "bhut jolokia, butch t, doughlag, trinidad scorpion" on of those. it is not native here.

Back