• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Northeastern rain...

Has really washed out my peppers. Some look drearier than others, but many are ok. It's happened in the past during wet springs and most have recovered, but it's painful to look at the hard work of raising a seedling then watching her get poured on day after day after day.

One Pequillo is likely toast from too much water. Some beast (insect) is taking a liking to my corbacis; large holes in the middle of the leaves. But other than that, it's just peppers hanging on for dryer days - a bit limp, yellowed, but with new growth giving a go.

I hope everyone else in the northeast is faring well. I guess this is where planting several dozen peppers comes in handy :P

Same here. Some peppers are doing well, but some are struggling due to all the rain and very little sun. Hard to complain as we have had perfect weather for peppers the last two years.

Northeast?!?

What about Southeast? It's been raining for the past week or so, and won't stop for another. Everyday. Rain.

Been doing some construction and painting for my cousin, and the second the sky clears up, it's 'jump out and get all the things done.'
And you can't trust the weatherman...we'd never get anything done if we listened to them.

But at least the peppers seem fine for the most part, they better be...hot, wet, and humid as hell is about all they're gonna get this summer.

Jubnat said:
Northeast?!?

What about Southeast? It's been raining for the past week or so, and won't stop for another. Everyday. Rain.

Been doing some construction and painting for my cousin, and the second the sky clears up, it's 'jump out and get all the things done.'
And you can't trust the weatherman...we'd never get anything done if we listened to them.

But at least the peppers seem fine for the most part, they better be...hot, wet, and humid as hell is about all they're gonna get this summer.

No kidding about the weatherman! Looks like this will be our 3rd day of warmth and sunshine, though it might rain this afternoon. But every day rain is predicted.

Tonight, it's supposed to dip into the high-40s as well.

Hang on peppers!

ako1974 said:
Has really washed out my peppers. Some look drearier than others, but many are ok. It's happened in the past during wet springs and most have recovered, but it's painful to look at the hard work of raising a seedling then watching her get poured on day after day after day.

One Pequillo is likely toast from too much water. Some beast (insect) is taking a liking to my corbacis; large holes in the middle of the leaves. But other than that, it's just peppers hanging on for dryer days - a bit limp, yellowed, but with new growth giving a go.

I hope everyone else in the northeast is faring well. I guess this is where planting several dozen peppers comes in handy :P

We had all that rain a week or so before you guys and my family is in the Northeast and it's been a ton of rain.  Amazing how resilient pepper plants are.  They're tough little bastards and I'm sure you'll have a huge harvest.

Mike

I'm in CT. All my peppers except for one of my habeneros are looking just fine after all this rain. *Knock on wood* Looks like they can get a little dried out this weekend but they are forecasting rain for most of the week next week.

3 straight days of sunshine and low 70s. Today, though, wind. And overnight, 49. Maybe showers overnight, then showers forecast for Sunday - Tuesday.

The previously toast pequillo is rebounding, the corbacis are limping, and one tabasco looks kinda weepy. The rest seem ok. The potted ones look much better than in-ground.

it for sure has been rough here in the southeast, rain almost everyday for almost a week and a half. today has been the first truly nice rain/cloud free day. unfortunately they claim the rain is back tomorrow and the rest of the week. this rain is definitely hurting my peppers. ive started getting leaf spotting/ yellowing and leaf dropping. with them calling for more rain i have seriously been considering building them a little shelter out of some clear plastic to keep this newer rain off of them. has anyone done this before/ had any luck with anything of the sort?

For me, it's possible precipitation (50%) until Friday.  :tear:

One of the challenges of gardening, but this sucks. And now...the slugs attack!

I've never built a cover for any plants due to too much moisture. There are too many that are spread out in different places.

Rain has been a nuts and I have the same insect issue on some plants..I have around 55 plants out..About 40 of them look great 10 or so beat up and 5 look pretty bad but have new growth.

The rain in the southeast has been ridiculous, rain every or every other day for weeks now.  Had 3 inches at my house yesterday and it's raining right now.  4/7 plants are looking pretty bad, older leaves are dropping, yellowed, browned, and spotted.  New growth still looks good though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Doelman said:
The rain in the southeast has been ridiculous, rain every or every other day for weeks now.  Had 3 inches at my house yesterday and it's raining right now.  4/7 plants are looking pretty bad, older leaves are dropping, yellowed, browned, and spotted.  New growth still looks good though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
 i am in the same boat, my plants sound pretty much like yours do. i went ahead and built mine a little shelter to try to keep some of the rain off of them. hope it holds up well! 
a1SiLrh.jpg

gnSxxo8.jpg

That's a good start! Next, you may need to attach some floating devices.

As of right now, it's clear here. No sun, it's overcast in the east. A nice change...

Today is a very welcome day for me.  The sun is shining.  First time growing in ground, and so far between the constant rain and slugs/snails I am very surprised I have plants left at all.  Plus, it dips into the forty's almost every night still.  All things considering, out of 50 plants, I only lost 1.  2 dropped all their leaves(larger indoor grown plants) and are showing new growth now.  I think I am ahead on the slug/snail issue, and it appears to be warming up.  Slight delay, but I think we will pull through.  With all these poor conditions, I have about a dozen pods on my aji fantasy already!!  Hoping you guys dry out soon.

smallbutfierce said:
Today is a very welcome day for me.  The sun is shining.  First time growing in ground, and so far between the constant rain and slugs/snails I am very surprised I have plants left at all.  Plus, it dips into the forty's almost every night still.  All things considering, out of 50 plants, I only lost 1.  2 dropped all their leaves(larger indoor grown plants) and are showing new growth now.  I think I am ahead on the slug/snail issue, and it appears to be warming up.  Slight delay, but I think we will pull through.  With all these poor conditions, I have about a dozen pods on my aji fantasy already!!  Hoping you guys dry out soon.

Seems like you have the perfect attitude for pepper growing.  It's a long season and definitely more of a marathon than a sprint.  Pretty much all small to moderate problems can be overcome in a typical growing cycle for peppers.  Good luck with your grow.  Keep us posted on how it's going :)

Mike

Back