• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Not a Bell pepper - amazon seeds

I learned my lesson the hard way.  I'm pretty sure bells don't grow erect and thin.  What does?

Scuba_Steve said:
Congratulations!  Your the first person in THP history that bought seeds from Amazon/eBay and hoped they WOULD get a bell pepper... and ended up getting something else!

Usually it is the other way around.  It will probably turn out to be a Death pepper or some other super rare variety, just for ironys sake.

Lol.  On top of all that, I gave my mom some of these seeds.  Jalapenos are too hot for her.  Won't she be surprised when her bells turn into Death peppers.

Those flowers are pretty large. Could very well be bells. Growing straight and tall (AKA - Leggy) like that could just be the plant wanting more light.

Edit: Nevermind! I just saw the pepper on the plant. Nope. Not bells! Thai of some sort? Cayenne?

I just went and looked at my Thai Dragon, and it looks remarkably similar.

Thai makes sense.  Thanks guys!

I'll wait until the pods develop further before trying to narrow it down more.  I bought these back in December from Amazon and they shipped from China in a foil pack labeled "Bell".

Phil said:
burpee.com will get you good bell seeds.

Good to know.  Luckily, I started bells from two different sources, so I'm not completely out.  Earlier in the year I bought an unusually large and delicious bell pepper from the grocery store and decided to use the seeds from it.

dan5505 said:

Good to know.  Luckily, I started bells from two different sources, so I'm not completely out.  Earlier in the year I bought an unusually large and delicious bell pepper from the grocery store and decided to use the seeds from it.

Hopefully that works out for you. Don't know how true it is, but I've heard a lot of these new GMOs sold in stores are mutated so their seeds will grow, but not produce.

Phil said:

Hopefully that works out for you. Don't know how true it is, but I've heard a lot of these new GMOs sold in stores are mutated so their seeds will grow, but not produce.

If I remember, I'll post pictures when/if they start to flower.

Scuba_Steve said:
From my experience, most will not germ.  I tried some cherry bombs I bought.  Only about 5/100 germinated.

Interesting.  I had 100% germination from the bell I bought.  I wonder if the variety and maturity of the pod causes the variation.  

dan5505 said:

Interesting.  I had 100% germination from the bell I bought.  I wonder if the variety and maturity of the pod causes the variation.  

Could just be a supplier specific thing. Organic suppliers probably haven't had their seed stock fiddled with, while large, industrial farms that supply the big chain stores could be a different story. I really hope I'm wrong.

dan5505 said:

i used the seeds from a bell pepper that i bought from the grocery store 100% germination rate,  ^^ their fast growing.
i think i started them on March to first of April.

Back