• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Extremely Impressed with T5 Bulbs

When you crank the T5 fixture from 4 bulbs on to 8 bulbs on, it's quite a difference. The plants look great. The Baccatums seem to need a ton of light to thrive.

Chris

I use them to grow till springtime I have a 4ft t5-8bulb. 54watt a bulb=432watts
my electricity
.13 per kw up to 300kwh 
.16 up to  400kwh  
.27 up to  600+ it jumps to.32
with my light on my bill jumps from $90 a month to about $150 a month

While bright, I'm not so sure a T5 could produce fruit on plants either. Don't get me wrong...my plants are pretty healthy under it, but not super stocky. I've been a bit lazy this year about potting up too. I'm still happy with my seedlings though for the most part.

Anyone else have opinions who have tried both?

Chris

I have been fruiting brandywine, taxi, and oregon spring tomatoes under (12) 6500k T5 bulbs in two different fixtures.

I have not had any problems with lumen output so far. Perhaps you are running used/old bulbs?

Do you find the T5 fixtures to heat up the growing space a lot?

This lighting system is situated inside a 4x4 grow tent.

I am running full climate controls with fan speed controller, so I really am not bothered with light temps.

I maintain 68% RH at 76° lights on, 75% RH at 68° lights off.

Without blower the tent would probably be close to 85+°

Hmmmm.
20 or so watts per bulb more than a T8, my 6 bulb by 4' T5 works just fine from first potting to plant out, and I have Reapers, Moruga's, Peach Bhut's, Bolivian Rainbows, Chocolate Habs and Inca Berries with pods on plants in pots over a year old for my winter grow.

They are manicured to produce under these lights, but in all honesty, really good for a couple months from seedlings---not suitable for full grow of large plants.
IMHO, 2 more 6 tube T5 would do it, but then you are aproaching the same cost in electricity as a 1,000 watt MH, and a much higher cost in equipment.

Alphaeon said:
I am in the ++++ on T-5 group
dancingpepper.gif
1x 6 tube fixture worked great for me. Ordering another for next year
icon_cool.gif
I love my T-5 HO 6 bulb fixture. I can turn on 2, 4, or six bulbs. Love this fixture. Highly polished reflectors too. Can't wait to automate it.

This is the fixture I have. I love it. When I get my tax return, I will be getting another one of these.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=9011

I have a 2 foot T-5 HO 2 bulb fixture for my seedlings. It is great.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10704

Back