• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not giving up - but...

Clint Eastwood frequently said, "A man has to know his limitations." I am finding out, first-hand that a corollary is you cannot fool Mother Nature.

The plants in my GH are doing great, as far as growing, not turning brown, developing blight or other problems. Yeah, somewhat leggy but still healthy.

The problem is they are not getting enough sunlight, specifically strong light per day. All the manuals say one needs about 18 moles a day to be "productive" with 20-22 moles a day to be goodly productive. 20 moles equals about 25,000 foot candle hours (2000 fc an hour for 12.5 hours; 3,000 fc for 8.33 hours; etc.)

On a sunny day, I was able to get the light I needed, maybe with a bit left over. And I knew we had periods where it seemed the sun didn't shine for a few days, but I had never really tracked the sunny vs. completely overcast days. In the last two weeks, we have had two days of sunlight and another couple of days where the sun came out for 20-30 minutes at a time. The result is 8-10 moles a day, some days less.

This does not seem to affect the ability to set fruit; since I started shaking the plants with blooms, I've had good luck turning blooms into baby toms. But it is taking weeks, several weeks, for the toms to grow and ripen. From a financial standpoint, it is not worth keeping the GH warm if I was starting from scratch. But with nearly 40 plants, 30 of them getting ready to start blooming in the next two weeks, I am not going to turn out heaters.

An option would be to install four, 400-watt HPS lights over a couple of rows, but I do not have the wiring to support this. No, I just have to ride this out. But it isn't that bad - the days are getting longer and usually after the first week or so of the new year, the number of sunny days increases significantly. By then, almost all of the plants should be blooming and I'll be able to start harvesting fruit.

Even better, I can use this knowledge next year. Have the plants started so they will produce the majority of fruit in October and November, finishing up in December. At the same time, start plants upstairs so they produce fruit from mid December until March then have plants in the GH staged to take over in March through July.

It will actually be as cheap, or perhaps cheaper, to run five 400-watt HPS for the hours I will need them than running heaters in my GH. And I may be able to use the latter for things such as lettuce which will survive a freeze.

OK, so I am :crazy: and I view a "failure" to so one thing as a success in doing something different.

Mike

Some seedlings finally grew large enough to move to 3" containers: a Celebrity, two each of First Prize and Better Boy and a Goliath.

This is as much an experiment as a serious task. I have a couple of 150 watt HPS lamps laying around collecting dust and a couple of 105 watt CFL bulbs - enough to provide the lumens over a 16 hour period to grow tomatoes (at least in theory!). And since the grow area is upstairs, I don't have to spend anything on heat. Four weeks until I can transplant them into 7-gallon pots, another 2.5 months until the fruit is ripe.

My Tax Day tomatoes!

Merry Christmas,

Mike

if you have the choice of 400 watts of heaters or 400 watts of lights, you'll be farther ahead with the lights. They put out the same amount of heat but you get the light as a bonus. Your house is probably a lot better insulated than the greenhouse for the coldest months.

mnbob81 said:
if you have the choice of 400 watts of heaters or 400 watts of lights, you'll be farther ahead with the lights. They put out the same amount of heat but you get the light as a bonus.

This doesn't seem right. :?: You are saying I would get ~1600 BTUs of heat plus 48,000 lumens from the light but from the heater just the 1600 BTUs?

Merry Christmas,

Mike

I was able to greatly increase the amount of usable light for my plants that I have near the windows during winter by draping reflective mylar behind them. Maybe you can do the same!?
Even the cheap "emergency blankets" that you can get in the Wal*Mart camping department will help!!!

Cheap and effective!

~DiggingDog

DD,

I have Mylar along the back wall - it helps when the sun is shining. Unfortunately, that's a rarity in Cincinnati in December and early January. It stays overcast for days in a row; we had two days in the last 15 when the sun was clearly shining for more than a few minutes at a time. Plus with its low altitude, the houses block part of that except for about four hours a day.

Mike

Back