• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not producing pods

So in one of my above ground 4x4 gardens I have 2 ghosts, 1 Caribbean Red and 1 Butch T. Both the butch and Caribbean are much smaller plants but have pods. The 2 ghosts are huge in comparison ( 3 foot tall ) with many more flowers on them but no pods . They get the same watering and care as the other plants in the same soil. Are ghosts harder to get pods than the others ? It's really frustrating going out there every day seeing a healthy looking plant and see no peppers on the plant. Help !

What's the temp around you -- the Bhuts I have grown don't pod up very well in higher temps - esp. if it is staying hot through out the night time also (usually just get a bunch of flower drops during the summer around here) so have to either get them to pod up early in the year or toward the end of summer when the weather cools a bit and then hope the freeze stays away long enough for them to ripen.

Yes they are dropping yet the other plants drop some but still produce peppers. I've used a qtip on some flowers with no luck.

I bet they'll do great later on. Unlike many of my pepper plants, including some superhots, the bhuts tend to not produce early baby pods. They seem to concentrate on growing and then become huge producers in late summer/early fall. Same with my Nagas. I'm picking tons of baby superhots right now ... but the only podding bhut is Bhut Orange Copenhagen. Interesting ...

indeed , i got 2 caramel bhuts ,  1 has a dozen decent sized pods , the other has none . both loaded with flowers , nothing on my peach bhuts either , everything else is podding nicely . give them a little while yet .

Dude! Samesies! My ghost is easily my biggest plant with hundreds of flowers. For the last month every flower has been sterile. Literally just this evening I found the first bit of pollen. I let the old girl dry out pretty thoroughly, then bloom fert with a bit of water, dry out pretty well again, and here we are. Hoping a pod will set here in the next few days. Will keep you posted.

suchen said:
Dude! Samesies! My ghost is easily my biggest plant with hundreds of flowers. For the last month every flower has been sterile. Literally just this evening I found the first bit of pollen. I let the old girl dry out pretty thoroughly, then bloom fert with a bit of water, dry out pretty well again, and here we are. Hoping a pod will set here in the next few days. Will keep you posted.
I was having same problem with my jays peach ghost! I went out there like 3 days in a row with a q tip and self pollinated after 3rd day I got aggravated and left it alone and I say like a week later I had alot of small pods

I hope that's the case with my ghosts. I also have a few small Jays Peach that are about a foot tall so I guess I can expect the same with those plants as well.

yes , patience , also giving them a good dose of high potash really loads them up they love it ! i give mine 0-0-60 when flowering , and a little phosphorous 0-45-0 , they crank the pods out especially towards later season ! 

Back