• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

So I cut all four pods. Tasted each. Pods from plant 1 and 2 give off a sweet banana like smell. Plant 1 seems to be stronger with the smell than 2. Plant 3 has a sweeter smell that I assume is more like a white bhut. Plant 4 is the most interesting to me though. It gave off a citrus smell and taste was in line with the aroma.

Pod 1:
BU87HmA.jpg

Pod 2: 
HdIbMBb.jpg

Pod 3:
72FGJt6.jpg

Pod 4:
WpIR7px.jpg

All pods have a thicker flesh similar to the flesh of the white bhut. Plants 1-3 seem to have a similar growth pattern of more vertical but Plant 4 wants to spread horizontally with its branches. All plants were spaced the same distance apart. I am going to isolate each plant and harvest seeds. Sawyer, I will send you some pods off of each plant and let you decide for yourself but I think Plant 1 is going to be the traits you are most looking for. Personally, I am going to grow out Plant 4 to see if the citrus flavor and horizontal growth pattern continue with the following generations.

One on the left smelt more of bananas and the right one a weaker citrus/floral aroma.

Left one tasted sweet until I swallowed. Then it tasted pretty darn warm. Throat burn that hit the tongue and lasted a bit.

One on the right didn't have any heat until I swallowed, then not much at all. Then a delayed heat hit my tongue and it is still there.

10449498_10202883854407455_3594112556946653540_n.jpg

10645112_10202883853967444_6165089575812266620_n.jpg

10600556_10202883854367454_8928011357704090459_n.jpg

The neon is a prettier pod, but I think the other one is more of what you're looking for.  Let me know if you want either seeds saved.

Solem22 said:
Pods from plant 1 and 2 give off a sweet banana like smell. Plant 1 seems to be stronger with the smell than 2. 

I think Plant 1 is going to be the traits you are most looking for.

HillBilly Jeff said:
One on the left smelt more of bananas and the right one a weaker citrus/floral aroma.

Let me know if you want either seeds saved.

I want to reiterate no one is obligated to save/send seeds, but I would certainly appreciate seeds from the banana-scented pods.  We can do it as an end-of-season seed trade, if you like.  I'll save seeds from the best of what I have growing this year and still have tons of seeds from last year.  Check out my lists in my profile to see what you'd like.

I know but I wanted to send you the bulk of my banana seeds and keep some to grow out myself. Get a better gauge that way I think. I will only keep the banana ones.

Here's a shot of my plant from a couple of weeks ago.  Already quite a few pods picked at this point.  
Has been a super productive plant, and I will grow it out again next year:
_DSC2237a_zpsa3975345.jpg

The latest pull.  Sorry to report "yes, we have no bananas"  Scent is just chinense.  The flesh is very mild, almost sweet.  I ate a small piece
of the placenta and got a nice tongue burn.  I imagine the placenta at the stem end is pretty hot:
_DSC2291a_zps027e1bca.jpg

It's been fun, John.  Thanks for the opportunity to participate in this grow.  
It will be interesting to see what subsequent generations bring!

Well, I didn't do a very good job curating this thread toward the end of the season.  Other than Wildchicken, Solem22, and Hillbilly Jeff, did anyone else get any pods with the banana fragrance?  I wound up with four plants, I think.  They all produced yellow pods, though of varying shape, and none had the banana fragrance.  I've planted seeds from those you guys sent to me and well as some of the original stock and we'll see what happens in 2015.  If anyone wants any of the original F1 or these new F2 seeds, let me know.

Hello all :)

Sawyer, you sent me some seeds a good while back...however due to the lousey weather in the UK, I have only just begun to get them going!

I started germinating around 15 of the 'Not White' YBJ seeds that I recieved a few days ago, and I am pleased to say that I already have 5 of them in soil as of this morning! This makes me happy. And I was rather surprised at how quickly they germinated!

A few weeks ago I aquired an old wooden reptile vivarium from a friend... I figured that it would make a nice little grow house to start my plants off in.
I then bought a couple of thermo stat controlled heat mats underneath, as well as 'borrowing' 2 RGB LED Lighting panels from my PA and lighting hire business. These have been bolted to the top of it to provide a light source of some kind.
I Kind of wish that I had made this grow box sooner, I could have started my plants months ago!

Never mind.

Anyway, here are some pictures!

04360FFA-2CB0-4A53-9F15-340D2C00ADD6.jpg

AFB0A06A-8537-41F7-B15E-AF746DD394BD.jpg

C9B37165-6995-408A-A20B-C95800779004.jpg

The picture below shows a couple of tomato plants that I have going at the moment. The ones on the left have been under the LED's for a number of days, the ones on the right have just been sat on a south-facing windowsill...I think that it's safe to say that the LED's seem to be doing their job quite well and that I will be returning the right hand plants back into the grow box :)

8DE3D71A-C17F-4D5F-83BB-E8B766FA64D5.jpg

I'll let you all know when the 'Not white' seedlings pop up :) and apologies for the potentially unnecessary photos

Awesome, Matt, I hope they grow well for you.  LEDs can be tricky if you don't know the specific emission wavelength(s), but your plants are the proof of the pudding.  Hopefully, at least one of your NWYBJ plants will produce banana-scented pods.  Keep us posted.

I did get banana scented pods, of course bad luck had it that a horrible hail storm came and killed everything so I did not have anything the harvest after the first on sadly

Wildchicken said:
I did get banana scented pods, of course bad luck had it that a horrible hail storm came and killed everything so I did not have anything the harvest after the first on sadly
Well, that sucks.  Did you save seed from the one banana-scented pod?  Do you want some more seed from me, either the original F2 seed or the subsequent F3?

Sawyer said:
Awesome, Matt, I hope they grow well for you.  LEDs can be tricky if you don't know the specific emission wavelength(s), but your plants are the proof of the pudding.  Hopefully, at least one of your NWYBJ plants will produce banana-scented pods.  Keep us posted.
Thanks Sawyer. I appreciate that LEDs can be tricky little things, but it is just a quick little experiment to be quite honest! Plus, I won't be relying solely on the grow box, I will have at least one tray on a windowsill incase all goes wrong with the box!

Well, speaking of back from the Void, is anyone who was involved with this banana-scented yellow bhut experiment still growing them? Are the genetics still out there? I haven't entirely given up on locating and germinating whatever seeds I may have stashed away somewhere, but I'm not particularly hopeful. If anyone has kept the strain alive and has seeds to share, I would sure appreciate getting my hands on some.

Sawyer said:
Well, speaking of back from the Void, is anyone who was involved with this banana-scented yellow bhut experiment still growing them? Are the genetics still out there? I haven't entirely given up on locating and germinating whatever seeds I may have stashed away somewhere, but I'm not particularly hopeful. If anyone has kept the strain alive and has seeds to share, I would sure appreciate getting my hands on some.

I still have some of the OG seeds you sent and I have some of the "neon" pheno that came out of that as well. Coincidence that this is my first year back since 2015. PM me and I can send you some of each.

Back