• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

Nulle said:
If you need any more growers I'm willing to give it at try, if Denmark is not too far away.
motocross308 said:
lol ill grow anything ( chili pepper wise) that any1 wants grown out . I am an addict .. 1st step achieved.
PMs sent.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Here are some of the yellows I grew last year.  They look different than the yellows you grew, but not as gnarly as the not whties you had

20130928_133817.jpg
Those are some nice looking yellows, Jeff.  What the fragrance and flavor like on those?  One thing I hope we can reproduce is the banana fragrance in these "not whites".

Miniac67 said:
just looked at my list and realized i did two seeds per planting area so i am  growing a grand total of sixteen  
The more the merrier! 

Looking good (almost) everybody.  Miniac, I "liked" your post as thanks for posting; I certainly don't like your results so far.  What do you think the problem is?  Too cool, too hot, too dry or too wet are the common culprits.  If you post a picture of your setup, we may be able to help.

I think my planting is topping out at 16 seedlings.  I'll try to get a picture up in a little while.

With my late start planting these, I will probably bring up the rear in pod production.  Starting March first is an experiment on the effects of a late start like that.  I don't think it will bother many of the peppers, but the 6 chinense I am growing out for this should be a good test on that.  Hope they pop rather quickly so they will be closer to 10 weeks old than 8 come plant out.

I think you'll be alright, though, even if it's pushing it a bit.  I think the plant these seeds came from was planted 2/11 last year, but I had others planted on 3/4.  They were producing by the end of the year, though I probably did lose more pods to frost than I harvested.

I have them in a seed warmer with a grow light on top. I have been trying to make sure that they are not to wet it to dry. When I get home I will send pictures

Back