• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

ajijoe said:
my white bhuts turned out red :mope: :tear:  i have seen this too many times im not going to bother with them again

Out of 18 or so white bhuts I had last year, all but two were white.  Two were yellow and one of those is where the seeds came from for this glog.  I got my original seeds from PepperLover.  I can send you some seeds from my white bhuts if you want.

Sawyer said:

Out of 18 or so white bhuts I had last year, all but two were white.  Two were yellow and one of those is where the seeds came from for this glog.  I got my original seeds from PepperLover.  I can send you some seeds from my white bhuts if you want.
thanks but i think i will npass im planted up for now

thanks for the offer though i might try again next season

thanks your friend Joe

Mine are coming along slowly. My wife was helping me take care of the plants while I was away and she maayyyyy have overwatered a shade. Haha. No big deal though, they are greening back up nicely. I will post a pic when I get the chance.

I absolutely hate aphids :hell: . I've only ever had them in some roses in the garden, but now I got them in my peppers inside. Some of my babies died including all the NWYs before I got on top of it. :tear: 
Now i've put my last 6 NWY seeds in some soil and am keeping my hands folded for a great outcome :pray:

That is how my OW got aphids two years ago when I tried to OW a couple plants.  I tried to do the same with some other plants that were near the roses by the house.  Never seem to be bothered with them in the gardens.

Back