• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

How's everyone doing over here?  I finally got ten plants in the ground last Thursday.  I'm going to let them perk up a bit before I post pictures, though.  These are the first plants to go in dirt this year.  Friday I planted more (different varieties) and today, still more, but I'll talk about that over in my glog.

I hope folk's plants are doing well.

Ahh....well, playing "catch up " as usual-score thus far: 3 for 6-"All that Remains" haha...
Anyway- these seeds were among the first to pop, and I got 6 starts rolling along.
Thus far, casualties are from fungus gnats, and some wifely administered care in my absence.....death by water ,then by lighting that was moved for overwatering, and then placed 12" closer "because it was hard to get back where it was".But I digress....

The leaders have been cut back, deleaved, as they were very leggy after 2 weeks of full shade(hey, this is progress...at least we are now looking at "first,do no harm").The other is rolling along , fully recovered with 10-12 leaves and decent nodes.

Right side of pic, 2nd plant up from right corner is the  NW Yellow Bhut last mentioned above..

Nulle said:
Unfortunately of my last 6 seeds only 3 sprouted and now there's only 1 plant alive :tear:
I "liked", because at least you have one!  Hopefully it will perform well for you.

gnslngr said:
Ahh....well, playing "catch up " as usual-score thus far: 3 for 6-"All that Remains" haha...
Anyway- these seeds were among the first to pop, and I got 6 starts rolling along.
Thus far, casualties are from fungus gnats, and some wifely administered care in my absence.....death by water ,then by lighting that was moved for overwatering, and then placed 12" closer "because it was hard to get back where it was".But I digress....

The leaders have been cut back, deleaved, as they were very leggy after 2 weeks of full shade(hey, this is progress...at least we are now looking at "first,do no harm").The other is rolling along , fully recovered with 10-12 leaves and decent nodes.

Right side of pic, 2nd plant up from right corner is the  NW Yellow Bhut last mentioned above..
"Catch up" should be my middle name.  I may have killed some of the ones I set out on Friday.  It was cooler and cloudier on Saturday, but not cool and cloudy enough.  The new transplants baked.  They may survive, but I have a few backups, too, I think.  In any case, yours and Mike's are looking way better than mine.

capsidadburn said:
I just transplanted one of my Sawyer Not whites.  Have 3 more a little behind this one.  Most of my plants have been roughed up a good deal by aphids but are bouncing back.

Later Good folks!
Nice looking plant.  I'm increasingly impressed at the abuse pepper plants can take and still bounce back. 

Why oh why have I been away from THP for more than a year, would have loved to get some of these going! I guess its far too late for this year, especially in the UK!

If you continue this next year then I would very much like to be involved!

Matt, PM your address to me and I'll send you some seeds.  I agree it's probably too late for this year, but keep them in a refrigerator and the seeds will keep for a long time.  On the other hand, you could start some in pots now and bring them inside in the fall to ripen up.  If you have room.

Ten of these plants are the first plants I put in the garden this year.  They went in twice-tilled ground that had been fallow for two (three?) years and had to be mowed before I could till it.  Almost immediately, something began chewing them down.  Cutting the tops off, so it may have been a rabbit, but subsequent damage looked more bug like.  None were cut down at the base, like a cutworm would do, and seven of the ten are still alive.  I think the three that died did so as a consequence of the unremitting cool, wet, weather we've had here for the last month.  Very unusual.  It's gradually been getting more pepper-friendly and today it was sunny and 80ºF.  I hope to see something more than green sticks when I go out to look in the morning.

This is super interesting to me, I too got in late

I know its late, but also would like to be involved if possible? I would gladly pay for any shipping or seed charge needed.

If not - no prob I definitely understand. will still be following this regardless!

Back