• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Nova's Northern Naga Taste Test

Holy mother of god. That is one hot pepper. I'm riding the rush right now. The back of my mouth is on absolute fire! I'm drooling more than my little boxer pup after she has a drink of water. My nose is running like mad as well. I don't want to close my mouth because it hurts my tongue and roof of my mouth.

I only had a small bite of the tip at first because I wanted to taste what the actual pepper was like. Then I had a bigger bite. I'm having trouble swallowing now. Talk about crazy. I literally got goose bumps just before the heat built up. All I can say is wow. I have a new found respect for Neil and the rest of you freaks that can down one of these bad boys whole. Pics to follow

Nice work mate!! They certainly are one hot pepper.
You didn't go so far as to describe the flavour of the pod mate, was that because the heat took over any sense of taste?

Novacastrian said:
Nice work mate!! They certainly are one hot pepper.
You didn't go so far as to describe the flavour of the pod mate, was that because the heat took over any sense of taste?

I nearly went blind. Fark me!

Congrats on trying it. It is one hot pepper. I have seen people literally try to scratch off their tongue it was so hot. I tried to warn them.;)

jacob

Ahhhhh Fresh Naga.:mouthonfire:

Last year, I had gone to Hamtramc to buy frsh Naga .
The shopkeeper gave me a bag of 10 peppers saying that they are "KHOOB JAAL" means very very hot.
I wanted to varify the heat.
I asked him if I can taste it . He said sure you can. But he warned me that I will ask for God's mercy after that.

I took a bite, varified that it was a good haul and paid him non challantly.
He was incredulous finding me not flinching with its heat.

But yes, for the un initiated, it is a Bolt after 5 seconds.

NJA

Here's a pic of the freshly picked pod. Nothing huge, but respectable.

Novas-Northern-Naga-Ripe-Pod.jpg

And a quick shot of the innerds. Notice the wet look of all that pain. There weren't very many seeds in it, but I did salvage them.

novas-northern-naga-insides.jpg

I still can't believe how hot that thing was. It was a stinging pain like no other. I've had regular orange habs that felt like a hot ember, but these naga's spread all around the back of my throat. It kinda smells and tastes like a hab to me, just not as strong. I can't wait to give a chunk of it to a friend of mine. He's been waiting to try it for some time now. He's been talking about a hot cayenne that he grew on time. I'll give him fair warning first. I'm not that mean.

pappywith4 said:
I NEVER TRIED A FRESH NAGA

I highly recommend you give it a try. Start with a small bite from the tip first so you can at least taste the damn thing. If you go from the other end you wont taste much other than blinding heat. It took a few seconds but man did it ever kick in. It just kept building and building. I wasn't sure if it was even going to stop. Then comes the saliva. All that does is spread the heat around. I've actually got a bit of a headache going on now.

Thanks Nova. I've three more pods on the plant that need to ripen up. One is bigger while the other two are about the same size as the one shown here. I don't know what I'm going to do with them other than use sparingly.

Blister said:
Thanks Nova. I've three more pods on the plant that need to ripen up. One is bigger while the other two are about the same size as the one shown here. I don't know what I'm going to do with them other than use sparingly.
Do you have a dehydrator? I'd dry those you dont want to eat fresh, and grind them into powder. The super hots powder goes a long way. By the way - last year I made a powder mixture called 'Blister' - maybe I named it after you?
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?16250-Fun-My-Pepper-Powder-Recipes&highlight=

Blister said:

They make a nice powder for kicking most foods up a notch and a very fine tasting pepper sauce.
Chop em fresh and add several to a pot of chili to help keep you warm this winter. :)

NJA,

The aroma was something else. I took a big sniff right after I cut the pod open and started coughing :lol:

BillC and SS

I do have a dehydrator and will probably dry a bunch of them this year. I've got two Naga plants on the go and they look like they're pretty big producers. Both had tons of flowers on them, but have dropped a bunch because they're only under 4' fluro's. I'm surprised I was even able to get anything to ripen up.

My g/f gave the pod a bit of a nibble and went red right away. She usually eats all the same spicy food I do, but this pod was way beyond her limit. Good times, good times....

Blister said:
NJA,

The aroma was something else. I took a big sniff right after I cut the pod open and started coughing :lol:

Why nobody told you never to do that?
It kicks your nostrils on top and you go bonkers for a while.

In initial days, I did it once.
Now I am used to dem hotties.

NJA

Well I don't normally do that, but I got a bit excited about the whole deal and jumped right in with the ol' nasal snifferous and paid the price. Gonna try another little nibble and see if I can taste a little more of it rather than just burning the hell out of my mouth

Blister, if you plan on dehydrating them, make sure you either do it next to a strong exhaust fan or take the dehydrator outside. You do not want that aroma permeating your house, or you might find yourself staying in a Holiday Inn. :lol:

Back