• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NPK Any Good??

would add some perlite or vermiculite, if you can find it. no sand when dry it gets like a brick. doesn't take much as the coco drains and holds plenty water.

Ezzer, this is what i use. It is called coco peat here but it comes in the blocks shown at the bottom of the page. Soak them in water and boom you get a bucketful of great growng medium. It does hold water well. I put gravel in the bottom of my pots to assist in excess water draining out.

would add some perlite or vermiculite, if you can find it. no sand when dry it gets like a brick. doesn't take much as the coco drains and holds plenty water.

thanks again Alex, what percentages of compost, coir and perlite do you recommend?
Thanks.

Ezzer, this is what i use. It is called coco peat here but it comes in the blocks shown at the bottom of the page. Soak them in water and boom you get a bucketful of great growng medium. It does hold water well. I put gravel in the bottom of my pots to assist in excess water draining out.

The only coir I've seen here is uncompressed, it's sold in 5 litre bags. Costs around $0.75 a bag! Did you mean to give a link on your post?

Patrick here they call it coco peat.coco Cori, and plain coco all the same stuff some of it is a little hairy some is just like peat moss depends on who they buy it from the best stuff comes from Thailand right now may change next week happy growing Alex

Thanks Alex. I should have known different places different names. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I would like to see what they call coco peat though.

According to the International Peat Society, yes there is such an animal, peat is: a heterogeneous mixture of more or less decomposed plant (humus) material that has accumulated in a water-saturated environment and in the absence of oxygen.

Its structure ranges from more or less decomposed plant remains to a fine amorphic, colloidal mass. The warmer the climate, the quicker the plant material will decompose. The rate of accumulating plant material is greatest in areas where the temperature is high enough for plant growth but too low for the vigorous microbial activity that breaks down the plant material. Such conditions are found more frequently in the northern hemisphere.

Does "coco peat" meet the definition? Not trying to one up anyone or be a smart ass.

I buy a lot of coco coir in compressed form. One "brick" makes about eight quarts after adding water. I use it for starting seeds and for a substrate I use in my tarantula cages. If you're going to use it to grow peppers in it's got zero nutrients so you have to fertilize the peppers from the onset of growth.

Thanks Alex. I should have known different places different names. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I would like to see what they call coco peat though.

According to the International Peat Society, yes there is such an animal, peat is: a heterogeneous mixture of more or less decomposed plant (humus) material that has accumulated in a water-saturated environment and in the absence of oxygen.

Its structure ranges from more or less decomposed plant remains to a fine amorphic, colloidal mass. The warmer the climate, the quicker the plant material will decompose. The rate of accumulating plant material is greatest in areas where the temperature is high enough for plant growth but too low for the vigorous microbial activity that breaks down the plant material. Such conditions are found more frequently in the northern hemisphere.

Does "coco peat" meet the definition? Not trying to one up anyone or be a smart ass.

I buy a lot of coco coir in compressed form. One "brick" makes about eight quarts after adding water. I use it for starting seeds and for a substrate I use in my tarantula cages. If you're going to use it to grow peppers in it's got zero nutrients so you have to fertilize the peppers from the onset of growth.

From all the googling I've been doing, it seems to a few different names. Coco Peat is one of them. I guess it's a marketing strategy, it's not peat, but that it's name. Have a look at JKTAwhite's link just above, the product he buys is called "Coco coir peat"

i got the pictures of my coco peat and coco coir

this is the picture of the coco peat.which is a by product from extracting the coco coir.
wp000161.jpg

and this is the picture of the coco coir.
wp000160.jpg

hope it could clear some coco products issues. :)

i got the pictures of my coco peat and coco coir

this is the picture of the coco peat.which is a by product from extracting the coco coir.
wp000161.jpg

and this is the picture of the coco coir.
wp000160.jpg

hope it could clear some coco products issues. :)
Srin, what sort of percentage of coco peat/coir do you use in your mix? Plus I've been to just about every plant shop in town and I can't get perlite anywhere :( not sure what i can substitute, anyone got any ideas?

Srin, what sort of percentage of coco peat/coir do you use in your mix? Plus I've been to just about every plant shop in town and I can't get perlite anywhere :( not sure what i can substitute, anyone got any ideas?
i think i used abt 1/3 of coco peat 1/3 compost add sand and perlites and also some burned soil.

anyway i got this info from another forum abt perlite,
"ACK and FreshGardens both have small bags and large bags.Both are off Suk, Next stop past The Emporium(FG) and Oh Nut(ACK). KU Nursery by JJ(weekend market) may have small bags."

hope you understand that?

i think i used abt 1/3 of coco peat 1/3 compost add sand and perlites and also some burned soil.

anyway i got this info from another forum abt perlite,
"ACK and FreshGardens both have small bags and large bags.Both are off Suk, Next stop past The Emporium(FG) and Oh Nut(ACK). KU Nursery by JJ(weekend market) may have small bags."

hope you understand that?

Cheers for the mix.
I've just finished reading the same thread , unfortunately that's Bangkok,1000 km north of me. Don't think the wife would be to impressed "Just popping to Bangkok to get a bag of perlite"
I'll keep googling, see if I can find someone to post some. Could I just add small gravel to a mix to improve drainage? I've just read this http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html so I'm a bit concerned about adding sand.

well thats was only sand. so no nutes nothing.. how to grow ? well what i am doing is mixing washed sand into the mix to have better drainage.

well thats was only sand. so no nutes nothing.. how to grow ? well what i am doing is mixing washed sand into the mix to have better drainage.
Ok, looks like I'm going to the builders merchants tomorrow, Cheers Srin thanks for the advice.

From all the googling I've been doing, it seems to a few different names. Coco Peat is one of them. I guess it's a marketing strategy, it's not peat, but that it's name. Have a look at JKTAwhite's link just above, the product he buys is called "Coco coir peat"

Yep, that's coco coir. One's just refined a little more. Really shouldn't have the name "peat". Marketing gimmick.

I have never seen that real hairy stuff over here they may not export it. i have built a 6X6 frame of 1X2 covered it with 1/4" hardware cloth, to break up some of the Cori to plant in, it come out like peat nice and fluffy

In my raised beds I grow in 1/3 coco, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost and some neem cake fertilizer and water
Patrick= if you can find it easy some of the better coco is coming from Sri Lanka its sold under the Down to Earth brand name

Thanks Al. I'll keep an eye out for it. I usually get mine at PetSmart or PetCo, three bricks for around $9.

You know they have some extremely beautiful tarantulas in Sri Lanka.

nice women too
Chuckle!

Anyone got any experience with rice hulls to aid drainage in potting mixes. I can get it super cheap here. Been doing a bit of googling and it looks like a good substitute for perlite, which I can't find anywhere :( .

Cheers for all the input guys, your advice is really helping this newbie grower.

Ezzer

Back