• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nubster's 1st year of Super Hots...

I've grown run of the mill habs before, japs on a yearly basis, even had a successful ghost pepper last year. This summer I am making a slightly more serious attempt at growing some super hots. Not having the room in a good growing spot...I decided to go a little more vertical since it was really the only spot I had, but not enough room for all the plants. And, with nowhere to plant, I'm in pots this year which is another first. So using my trusty AeroGarden, I started a bunch of seeds that were graciously provided to me from a member here. What I ended up with was Scorpions, Yellow Butch T's, Chocolate Habanero, Black Habanero, and Carolina Reapers. I didn't take any pictures of the seedlings.

Anyways, to the vertical rack I built last week...I went with three shelves and built it on a slant similar to a staircase. Turned out pretty good IMO considering I'm a measure it 5 times and still get it wrong kinda guy.

So now it's off to the races. Got the plants in place getting lots of sun (and rain since it doesn't seem to stop the past few weeks). Decided to try topping after watching some videos. Started a thread and got some mixed opinions. Ended up trimming rather than topping. I was a little hesitant at first but once I started trimming it was ok. Then I was worried maybe I shouldn't have...maybe I did more harm than good. So far, a few days later, the plants are still kicking and the undergrowth that was exposed is really taking off.

Before:

After:

I'll get pics up tomorrow of the new growth that's taking place already.

I am thinking that's a really good start. But to let you know more than what TNKS posted, those pots are generally too small for some of the varieties you are growing. The habs may be ok, but the scorps will get much taller and tend to build a more complete root system. In other words, the plants are likely to become root-bound in those pots. But I wouldn't go as far as calling the rack "useless." Depending on the number of plants of each variety, keep in mind you can put at least some of the pots on the ground. You might also consider changing into an A-frame sort of setup, with deeper shelves on the other side. I see the stopper at the base, but I would be concerned that those may not be enough if a strong windstorm comes along, with it configured the way it is right now. Is it fastened to the wall, or just leaning against it?

I have always liked the idea of vertical gardens, but am thinking their use is mostly for shorter produce.

looks like you got a little bit of space there. Any reason they can't go on the ground where the vertical shelf is currently?

geeme said:
I am thinking that's a really good start. But to let you know more than what TNKS posted, those pots are generally too small for some of the varieties you are growing. The habs may be ok, but the scorps will get much taller and tend to build a more complete root system. In other words, the plants are likely to become root-bound in those pots. But I wouldn't go as far as calling the rack "useless." Depending on the number of plants of each variety, keep in mind you can put at least some of the pots on the ground. You might also consider changing into an A-frame sort of setup, with deeper shelves on the other side. I see the stopper at the base, but I would be concerned that those may not be enough if a strong windstorm comes along, with it configured the way it is right now. Is it fastened to the wall, or just leaning against it?
It's attached to the shed wall into the studs. Not going anywhere. As far as the pots...not too difficult to change out when needed. That's what I had and they needed something larger asap since they were in really small pots prior to these. As far as the scorps getting tall, that's fine. There's only 3 of them and they are on the top row. They can get 6+ feet tall if they want before they bump in to the eaves above. The other plants...should be fine. I've never had a hab grow more that a couple feet tall and if they do start getting too tall, I'll prune them back. Make them short and stocky. 

As far as the ground, yeah, they can sit on the ground in pots, but no place to plant them in the ground and be able to get appropriate sun. The only other spot is on the side of the house and my wife has a flower bed there and isn't to hip on the idea of filling it with peppers. Might be able to sneak one or two of them in there...but that's about all.

And yes...I started a new thread. The other one was in my excitement in building the rack. Figured I might as well start a GLOG to track the progress of these peppers and future grows that I may do, including the couple plants I'm planning on doing indoors later this year in a DWC setup I'm going to put together.

Just an update. All plants seem to be doing well. Some growing like weeds...some not so fast but looking healthy. I have been clipping leaves here and there....only on the plants that have a lot of undergrowth and only when the huge leaves start blocking out the sun to that undergrowth. Certainly doesn't seem to be hurting anything. 

I did end up topping one plant about 4-5 days ago. Just because. I wanted to see what would happen. Now I wish I would have done all of them earlier. This yellow butch-t that I topped exploded in bushy growth. The pic doesn't really show the size well but it's probably larger around than a dinner plate and it was maybe the size of a saucer when I topped it. I wish I would have taken a before shot. Anyways...I'm not topping the rest...I afraid it may be too late in the season though we do probably have a solid 2 months left and up to 3 months depending on how warm it stays at the end of September and into October. Dwindling sunlight will probably be the thing that is the limiting factor more than temps. 

Anyways....here's a few shots of the progression. One of the reapers has some pods so that's exciting. Plants look a little ragged in the pics. It's been really hot the past few days and they needed some water which they got right after I took the pictures. Maybe I'll retake them this evening once they have pepped back up...

Topped Butch-T

Reaper pod (terrible pic)

the ones closest to the shed look stressed to me, they may be getting to much heat from the shed, might be time to put those ones on the ground.  in front.  

Bumper said:
the ones closest to the shed look stressed to me, they may be getting to much heat from the shed, might be time to put those ones on the ground.  in front.  
They just needed watered. I watered them right after taking the pics and they perked right up. It could also be from some heat being reflected but like I said...some water and they were good to go. I may move them though just for a week or so and see what happens. They seem to be growing slower than the rest so maybe the shed has something to do with that? The ones on the ground, the biggest ones, where on the top shelf and I moved them down but they were also the biggest when I moved them so I don't know....lol

Decided to make a 5g bucket hydro-growbox. Moved one of my reapers into it this evening. It'll be interesting to see how it does compared to the other plants. I'm making a second one tomorrow and I'll be putting a scorpion in it. If they do well over the next couple months of growing season, I may try to over winter them and next year I'll make more of the bucket setups and do all my peppers that way. 

Few update pics....

And here's a mystery (to me) pepper. I planted and labeled it as a chocolate hab but it's obviously not looking like a hab at this point. I know it's probably too early to tell but any idea? It's the only plant that I have with peppers like this....

Nice.   I also had some plants in BLACK pots.  It's hot as hell in south texas.  So I took a can of white spray paint and painted my pots.  All the difference in the world.   One large BLACK 20 gallon pot  I have, I stretched an old  white T shirt around it.  Again, all the difference in the world.   Black draws wayyyy too much heat.

Keep the root zone cool.

First harvest. Scorpions and a single reaper. Probably a couple hundred peppers in total on the plants, most still green. Not sure what I'm doing with these yet. Gotta be honest...I'm a bit scared of them...lol

Back