• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nutrient Deficiency?

Hey all, this is my first year growing peppers and I think a few of them may have a nutrient deficiency. I have 38 plants total, ranging from bell peppers to scorpions, and about half of them are in 5 gallon containers. I am using Ocean Forest Fox Farm in the containers, which contains "earthworm castings, bat guano, and sea-going fish and crab meal". I have been using a fish fertalizer, 1oz per gallon a few times a week, and I just started using General Hydroponics FloraDuo B on all of the ones in the containers because it contains more PK and other nutrients. The biggest problem is that the new growth is yellow and looks to be shriveled up, and the leaves on some of them look interesting.....

Another note, only these few plants (plus 2-3 more) are having problems, most of my other peppers that are in containers are doing great......my scorps, habs, ghost's, jal's, even though I have been doing the same thing to all of them.

Well, i'll just get to the pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The first 3 are cayenne's, they're not too bad, just giving you a general idea of the problem...
4g6Bu1X.jpg

tmH8mEj.jpg

Q5XqSIz.jpg

Then this guy is the ugly one, a Tabasco. Just look at the new growth.....
unBHpww.jpg

Hopefully I linked those correctly, but I'm going to go outside and see if I can get some better ones to show.

EDIT: Here are some plants with some chewed up leaves I think, one has cuts in the leaves, one has little holes...any idea?

SMeiR6R.jpg

FgC4r5L.jpg

you could either have a calcium/magnesium deficiency, or pest problems. mites can cause damage like that. these are a good place to start. save and share these:

plantfungusanddisease_zps06151137.jpg

Nutrient_deficiency1_zps3e713bec.jpg

and here's a happy moruga pepper pic to brighten your day. Lol.... :rofl:

IMG_1297_zps12f72281.jpg

best of luck and happy growing fellow pepper lover!

Thanks guys. Birdfather that's a great chart, i'll definitely keep that :) I was also thinking I need some cal/mag. As for the pests, I am trying to go as organic as possible, are there any good ways to combat mites and such without spraying the hell out of my plant?

I am so sick of hearing of calcium deficiencies. It's like a mantra on this forum when people are not sure what the problem is.
Calcium deficiencies are not that common and that soil has all you need. :rolleyes:
Take it easy on the fertilizers as I think it is getting too much.

I say lay off the of the watering. Your soil looks a bit wet judging by the algae on the surface. Also.. no need for additional fert other than the fish. I would probably stick to just straight water when they start to droop and only when they start to droop. You could possible add the fish fert to your water maybe 1x ever other week or something.

Sorry had to edit.. that Ocean Forrest is pretty good to go with no additional ferts.

Poor drainage/too wet in bottom of pot, could lead to root rot if not corrected. Allow to dry out more between waterings also adding a wick to a few drain holes will help.

Leaf holes are most likely slugs; check for them at night.

Thanks a lot, all of you. Great, quick responses. We just got hit with a huge thunder/hailstorm so they should be plenty flushed of nutrients come tomorrow.

They don't look too bad I'd say your loving them too much  back off the Nutrients just use water and only after they droop.  I don't add nuts from months on end with very little problems.

I'm usually quite gung-ho for a few doses of dilute ferts, but in this case I have to agree that your plants may have been zorched by too much of a good thing.

Straight FFOF has plenty of nutrients in it.  I don't think you'll need to add any extra ferts until the plants get quite a bit bigger.

The curled leaves might (?) also suggest a bit too much water.  Or not.  "Plants will be plants."  :halo:

FWLIW, I'd suggest letting the soil get good and dry - look for slight wilting - and then dousing with a 'flush' watering, aiming to wash away some of the excess fertilizer that may have built up.  Water until you get ~1/2 the volume of the pot in excess out the bottom. 

+1 for the over fert. Here in Japan, the labels on liquid fertilizer say to dilute if you already have slow release fertilizer in your soil.

The soil you are using looks similar to what I'm using. I'm only fertilizing once a week, alternating between organic 3-3-2 and fermented seaweed extract.

As for the leaf damage, I have noticed "it's most likely slugs" gets tossed around as much as cal/mag deficiency. If you don't see trails, you don't have slugs. Your leaves will get damaged either by Insects or weather no matter what so, barring some crazy infestation of nasties, take it easy ;-)

After making the move to a nutrient-free soil (Fafard 52), I've not experienced any nutrient overage/burns.  With a nutrient-free soil I use Tomato Tone and Dolomite Lime and everything is growing great! 

My suggestion, take a look a nutrient free soils.

Back