• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nutrient Deficiency?

newbiepepperguy said:

Thanks! You've been extremely helpful!

How widely available is the CNS17 Grow?  Would I be able to find some at the local gardening store? It's a pretty big place.

It's widely available, but that's a relative term.  Do you have a hydroponics store nearby?  If not, Amazon.com is your friend.

That's the one.  Mix it one Tbsp per gallon, and don't store it long term. (after mixing)
My water puts the final solution in an almost perfect PH, but you should definitely check it at least the first few times.

solid7 said:
That's the one.  Mix it one Tbsp per gallon, and don't store it long term. (after mixing)
My water puts the final solution in an almost perfect PH, but you should definitely check it at least the first few times.

Thanks!

How often should I add it to the watering? Every other time or so, I'd assume?

newbiepepperguy said:

Thanks!

How often should I add it to the watering? Every other time or so, I'd assume?

When I use it, I add it every watering for containers up to 2 gallons, and every other watering for larger.  Also, make sure you water until approximately 10-20% runoff occurs. It's helpful to water slowly, so that your mix is saturated, and not just running straight through.

solid7 said:

When I use it, I add it every watering for containers up to 2 gallons, and every other watering for larger.  Also, make sure you water until approximately 10-20% runoff occurs. It's helpful to water slowly, so that your mix is saturated, and not just running straight through.

Thanks. Last question, I promise:

Will this be a good mix for my tomatoes too?

newbiepepperguy said:

Thanks. Last question, I promise:

Will this be a good mix for my tomatoes too?

Yes.
Don't worry about how many questions you ask.  However many you like.
That fertilizer is formulated on calcium, so you'll never have to worry about BER in either tomatoes or peppers.

solid7 said:

Yes.
Don't worry about how many questions you ask.  However many you like.
That fertilizer is formulated on calcium, so you'll never have to worry about BER in either tomatoes or peppers.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I'll wait and see on the leaf curl issue. The plants really do seem quite healthy aside from that, but that may just be because I don't know what to look for to determine that they're unhealthy.

It's my experience that in almost all cases, it's easier to stop and get on a good path, than to try to figure out what's wrong on a bad one.  Or, to put it another way - it's easier to stop what you're doing, and make it right by going with something proven, than to try to figure out how to make it right, based on what you've already done wrong. (there's too many variables)
In either case, you lose nothing.  Whatever is wrong has to be fixed. Sometimes, it's better to just start fresh, based on the experience of those that have gone before you.  Experimentation is great, but not with your main crop.  Fix it, and fix it right the first time!
Once you get your nutrient settled, forget about whatever has happened so far.  Keep your eye on new growth.  What's done with the old growth is probably the way it will stay.

If you're going to grow right through to harvest in coco I'd suggest that you also pick up the bloom formula too.

Neil

Blister said:
If you're going to grow right through to harvest in coco I'd suggest that you also pick up the bloom formula too.

Neil

For what reason? (support the economy?)

Blister said:
The small outlay will aid in promoting additional flowers and pods.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

No, it won't.  Assuming that you have adequate levels of nutrient to begin with, adding more does not equate to "more better".  
Rose growers are after nothing more than blooms.  Here is what their club has to say on the matter: http://www.rose.org/phosphorus-fallacies-too-much-of-a-good-thing/
And another, specifically on the K issue: https://www.adonline.id.au/flowers/the-potassium-myth/
OP, it's your money, but veg and bloom formulas are more hype, than anything.

Blister said:
Yes it will.

You are absolutely, positively, DEAD WRONG.  No amount of one sentence answers in the world will ever change that.
If any hydroponic fertilizer all of a sudden causes bloom explosion when applied, it's not because the plant is using extra, proportional to the amount you have applied - it means that you have actually corrected a previous deficiency.  Or, to put it another way, you've removed the limiting condition.
If any fertilizer manufacturer puts out that kind of a product, it's completely unethical.
A balanced fertilizer that has an excess of some items will do the exact same thing, as an optimized fertilizer - albeit, with waste.  

Blister said:
Yes it will. I've used CNS17 with and without bloom. Better results with compared to without.

Neil
I've done "veg" and "bloom" also, with absolute zero difference, other than the fact that my "bloom" plants started to suffer from nitrogen deficiency.
My plants are grown outdoors, using coco amended with rabbit manure.
If your plants need more of something during a particular stage, then increase overall dosage...

Blister said:
I've used CNS17 with and without bloom. Better results with compared to without.
solid7 said:
I've done "veg" and "bloom" also, with absolute zero difference

aXxBIXM.jpg

`​

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

`​

As usual, that's about the quality of your contribution.  A stupid meme.
I didn't offer just an opinion - only one of us did, in fact - and the idea of needing "bloom" formulas for peppers is still bullshit.  That's just not how plant growth works.  That's how you make money selling fertilizers.
If you know better, ante up...

Back