• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Odd: Who likes NWA?

Who out there likes shit like NWA, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Notorious B.I.G, Wu Tang Clan, etc.

I know this is a forum for Hot Peppers and chiliheads, but everyone on here seems awesome and I'm curious.

I grew up listening to Bone Thugs, 2 Pac, Slim Shady, wasn't too big on WuTang though. Preferred Pac over Biggie. I was really big into No Limit when they first came out but they played themselves out real quick. I listened to a lot of DJ magic Mike and DJ Bass boy. If it had a good bass beat and thumped I liked it. There for a while I listened to Dayton Family and other hard heavy rap undergrounds.

I have eclectic music taste now. I listen to it all. From country to hard rap to heavy metal. Disturbed and FFDP being some fav metal bands. Still think Shady has it going on for a white guy still. And listen to EDM too when working on house projects. Then its country in the car because its "family" friendly but honestly everyone is getting drunk in the songs. Lol then everyone is getting high or sexing in the pop and hip hop music. I've found EDM to be kid friendly for the most part on my Pandora station. Just music with a few samples. Lol. It all depends on my mood and who else might be listening nowadays.

I noticed the WuTang avatar. Thought I wasn't seeing things.

JB
Wow forgot about 2live and the Dogs in my first post. I listened to some NWA and easy E but wasn't favs.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Whatever kid. You wouldn't know great bands like I grew up with. Hell you don't even have to play an instrument now as a computer does the fake instruments for you. Yeah real musicians. :rolleyes:
Kid?
LMAO!!!
I wouldn't know those bands you grew up with?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Whatever kid. You wouldn't know great bands like I grew up with. Hell you don't even have to play an instrument now as a computer does the fake instruments for you. Yeah real musicians. :rolleyes:

Ive played blues guitar most of my life and still know good stuff when I hear it and sometimes its hip hop. Don't shut anything down brutha...
HopsNBarley said:
Kid?
LMAO!!!
I wouldn't know those bands you grew up with?

The jackson logo as your avatar makes you a rapper...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9cCbz-IQgww

just a little older than NWA...FTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EQlExCmEjp8

If it's not rock or blues I don't listen to it Prime Time.
Not that I don't appreciate talent of other styles of music, I just don't care to listen to anything else.

Hip Hop and they play their own instruments ;) Amazing live shows as well. having seen well over 2000 live acts, these guys are up in the top 10 for sure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KowzUjXuTK0

Surely it all comes down to individual taste... No point in disregarding one genre over another because music takes so many different forms; from the most simplistic of percussion or the human voice to the greatest, full orchestra symphonies, all have that intrinsic element of expression that seems to be so innate in our psyche.
As I get older I'm finding more and more beautiful music in styles I had previously discounted.

Sadly, just like the movie industry, commercial music has been turned into a self perpetuating, media driven load of sh*t aimed at 8year old girls or idiots. Just look at the whole X factor/ talent shows.... The cult of celebrity and greed normalised and force fed to the masses with no musical merit/ worth whatsoever.
Rant over

i dig all kinds of stuff.  there isnt a type of music that i csnt find something i dig.   that being said i went threw a huge rap phase where thats about all i listened to. then i got into heavier stuff but my rap that i liked also got heavier.

Yo shit needa bump?
http://youtu.be/TlZgiK6FiO0

PMD chiming in on yet another topic he doesn't even care about, only to let everyone know he doesn't care about it.  Why am I not surprised?  :rolleyes:

Back on topic though, I've been a fan of hip-hop/rap music since I was 9 years old.  I had heard music from Run DMC and LL Cool J before then, but none of it really clicked with me.  It wasn't until I heard "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground in 1990 that I finally started paying more attention.  And if it wasn't for my racist stepfather telling me he didn't want me to listening to that "N!%%$# music" in his house, I probably would have lost interest in it on my own.  But his outright disdain for rap music only made me want to listen to it even more, and I haven't really stopped in the time since.

Now as for my tastes, they're pretty diverse.  I love the old school, gangster rap, east coast, west coast, underground, etc.  But my favorite time period would have to be the early 90's through late 90's.  The music coming out during that time was so on point, IMO, and everything since has been pretty weak by comparison.  Vinnie Paz/Jedi Mind Tricks/AOTP are pretty much the only current stuff I listen to anymore.

With that said, here are some of my all time favorites over the years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyf_mvrsao0

Hard rock is my "go to" for music. Tool's my favorite band. Sevendust is a close second. followed by Pantera. But I dig it all.

Not much on modern hip hop because there's usually not much there, cerebrally speaking. Lyrics mean a lot to me, and if the deepest you go is blow, booty, and booze, then I'm not with it. But I dig almost everything else.

Old school hip hop, R&B, classical, blues, light and airy favorites, classic rock, I have Jim Croce on CD. I also have Duke Ellington. Pat Martino is a hell of a jazz guitarist. I have almost every Digital Underground album ever recorded. Same goes for Black Crowes and Tower of Power.  I like drinking my coffee in my courtyard while I listen to Chopin. Portishead and Tori Amos are awesome. Massive Attack is cool as hell.

Too much good stuff out there to box myself in.

Back