• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Oddball winter habanero harvest

My Caribbean Reds and Nagas are tucked safely in my grow room for the winter. Some may recall that they lost all their foliage and fruit and almost died due to inadequate lighting, and then made a strong comeback after I got it taken care of.

Well I didnt really care if I got any pods over the winter, but when they started flowering like mad I gave them all a good shake to see if I could get some to set fruit just for the heck of it.

The Habanero's did oblige me with a smal harvest, but not a single pod from the Naga's. I guess they need more to pollinate them.

Anyhoo, the habs produced some regular sized fruits but may of them were kinda dwarfed.

All are extremely hot regardless of pod size. the small ones dont have many seeds.

Goofy.jpg

millworkman said:
Looks sweet Skyjerk. How long have they been indoors?

Brought these inside mid-september and by Oct 1 they were all but dead.

The came back pretty good, but given how fast these pods ripened and their small stature
I'm thinking they are still under stress.
That would also explain how blisteringly hot they are. Decidedly hotter than the pods they produced
outside in 2008. Not sure exactly whats wrong. Foliage looks nice and green.
No yellowing or curling.

Still, once they go back outside in the spring I'm expecting big things from these plants in 2009 :hell:

Skyjerk said:
Still, once they go back outside in the spring I'm expecting big things from these plants in 2009 :hell:

That's pretty cool you are still getting pods at this time of year. I can't wait to see shots of them next season.

That's great to see even a few pods blooming for you, it's just enough to tease the taste buds and keep the spicy passion alive through the winter:P

Pepp3rFreak said:
That's great to see even a few pods blooming for you, it's just enough to tease the taste buds and keep the spicy passion alive through the winter:P

It keeps my interest alive during the boring winter months :-)

Back