• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OF1's 2014 grow.

SO after losing all my overwinter pepper plants from the last few years it has been a rebuild year. My grow list is the best assortment this year as it has ever been and the plants are thriving so far.

Grow list as of now

chinense
3 7pot bubblegum
3 7pot yellow
1 7pot primo
2 reaper
3 jigsaw  (baker pepper)
2 moruga scorpion chocolate
2 fatalii
3 bhut jolokia 
1 habanero hot
3 habanero ?
1 Cheiro
1 peruvian serlano
2 wild brazil

baccatuum
1 inca surprise
2 lemon drop

frutescens
2 tabasco

annuum
1 piquin lg black
2 serrano
1 thai hot
2 yellow pepper from mexico

other species
2 cobincho  (exile)

Most of my grow is going on in pots and in greenhouse so long season here in the northwest for me. Have a few trays of seed starting right now so list will grow more still.

Ok lets see if the pics load now.

This fatalii kicked my butt even though it had its great flavor. Would I eat another one, as soon as they ripen.lol
IMAG2097_1.jpg

IMAG2204.jpg

Pods from one of my bb7pot plants.
IMAG2308.jpg

IMAG2309.jpg
IMAG2310.jpg

IMAG2307.jpg

The above plant has about a dozen pods on it with more setting each day regardless of the temps it is in.

The plant below is a very strange one as it barely opens its flowers from the very over sized calyx. The pics I posted before as buds were really young pods on this one.
IMAG2311.jpg
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2007.jpg
On the above plant about 80% of the flowers this is fully open. I hope the pods that set have seeds in them.

Here is a bit of my harvest today this morning.
IMAG2351.jpg

If I get a bump tonight I will post more pics.

Bumpity-bump!

Looking awesome, Jacen.  the plants are lush and green.  
Should be a great season for you, even with a June start.  
What happened to the OWs?

The mutant pod is super sick!

I'd like to see some pics of your greenhouse(s).  Are you growing
anything commercially with 8K ft2 ?

Yes paulG we grow many things. I am managing and soon buying this nursery located in grand mound washington. Many of my plants are very lush and I have started leaf pruning a few as in my mind they are to lush, can not even see the flowers. With the three weeks warm then single digit cold fourth week of Feb I lost whatever had made it that far. On one hand sad but on the other some of my replacement plants are better specimens than the ones I lost. For example my two new serrano peppers have out produced any I have had before and have better flavor with one being about twice as hot as the other. Kind of fun watching others munch on either a red or green pod from the one then grab one from the hotter one and start crying and drooling or hiccuping. I have harvested almost 150 pods off just two plants, they had so many they stopped growing and blooming. Picked them just about clean in two rounds a few days apart and already new leaves and buds forming. As the picture showed both green and red pods.

My thai hot was doing about the same as the serranos so off a good many pods to free up energy for it.
Here is the mutant pod by itself.
IMAG2354.jpg

IMAG2353.jpg

Here are some of my Hab pods.
IMAG2306.jpg

IMAG2305.jpg

IMAG2304.jpg

Baby pods now all harvested to make room for full sized pods.
IMAG2094.jpg

IMAG2095.jpg

I have three C.rhomboideum seedlings up and growing. Two had a bit of helmet head and one normal but all with their first true set of leaves.
IMAG2397-2.jpg

my Cheiro is setting pods now.
IMAG2323.jpg

One of my two C. exile, both have had ripe pods and many more on them now. They want to grow out and wide.
IMAG2318.jpg

PaulG said:
Bumpity-bump!

Looking awesome, Jacen.  the plants are lush and green.  
Should be a great season for you, even with a June start.  
What happened to the OWs?

The mutant pod is super sick!

I'd like to see some pics of your greenhouse(s).  Are you growing
anything commercially with 8K ft2 ?
here you go PaulG pics of the greenhouses. We are looking at putting a 20 x 60 up at my house over the next six weeks. If it gets to happen this yr it will be done by hard frost.
IMAG2441.jpg

IMAG2440.jpg

IMAG2439.jpg

IMAG2444.jpg

My first ghost pepper of the yr ripening.
IMAG2418.jpg

onefowl1 said:
here you go PaulG pics of the greenhouses. We are looking at putting a 20 x 60 up at my house over the next six weeks. If it gets to happen this yr it will be done by hard frost.
Woah, Jacen!  That is an awesome set-up.  How many peppers
can you put in your 600 sq. ft?  I'm thinking maybe 50+ or so?  

Square yard gardening   ;)  instead of square foot gardening!

I have just over 50 plants now with several late start ones growing up now as well. I can tell you with some of the ones I am growing I am running out of room and they are still growing over other plants. I am looking at two tier growing right now with the ones wanting more shade growing under the tables holding the sun hogs.

I got to spend a good deal of time working in the greenhouses with the cooler days. It was about 80 in there today instead of the 100+ most days even with fans a blasting.

I have my first bb7pot turning color today, can not wait to see the calyx and stem turn to.
IMAG2599.jpg

Ghost turning fast.
IMAG2595.jpg

Super chili going to town making pods.
IMAG2614_1.jpg

slow to color up Lemon drops
IMAG2611_1.jpg

lg black piquin
IMAG2606_1.jpg

Yellow Fatalii is still one of my favorite peppers to use in my food.
IMAG2608_1.jpg

Thai dragon pod producing fast.
IMAG2615.jpg

The plant may be small but it is loaded with peppers with more forming daily.
IMAG2618.jpg

The C. rhomboideum seedlings are growing pretty fast.
IMAG2642.jpg

Hey OF1, looks like a lot is going on in your greenhouse.
What else do you have growing that is interesting, apart from the peppers?

Outstanding, Jacen!  I'm with you on the Fatali - one of my favorites.  Those are very nice pods.  
I will be sad when my 3rd year plant stops producing some day   :tear:    ;)

The break in the weather has been nice - the Manzanos and Ajis have really picked up the pod setting.
Are those Lemon Drops ajis?  They always take their sweet time ripening up.  Must be the year-round
grow climate in their native environs!

Yes PaulG to all your comments. The cooler weather has given the plants a much needed reprieve for the wimpier ones, lol....

The lemon drops is what they are and the oldest pods are about 8 weeks set and grown compared to most of my peppers changing color closer to 4 or 5 weeks from setting.

Was it not pepper guru one here with a seven+ yr old yellow fatalii? Anyways you should have many yrs left if you want with your plant. 

With the cooler temps the ghost peppers are adding pods on but most of the rest have been setting pods like crazy even in the days with temps over a 100 in the greenhouse.

My first to set and now ripen bb7pot looks like it is going to be orange and not red but I love it anyways.
IMAG2721.jpg

IMAG2804.jpg

ghost that much closer.
IMAG2742.jpg

full size habs ripening.
IMAG2803.jpg

By demand here are a few pics of other things I grow in the greenhouse besides peppers and nursery stock to sell.
These are mostly perennial caudex types but two are annuals cucumbers from around the world.
IMAG2757.jpg

IMAG2756.jpg

IMAG2755.jpg

IMAG2751.jpg

IMAG2744.jpg

IMAG2752.jpg

So comment made about my lemon drops taking forever to color and today a couple are changing.
IMAG2882.jpg

IMAG2883.jpg

This is the first of the Jigsaw pods forming.

IMAG2838.jpg

Also first Reaper pod setting.
IMAG2836.jpg

Wow, that greenhouse looks amazing! And so do your pepper plants. Those other plants are very interesting looking..

So a few firsts for me today. First had my first homegrown ghost pod ripen. Second I made my first review video using the ghost pod and one of my employees as the tester. I will try to download the video tonight to YouTube then post it here to share.

onefowl1 said:
So a few firsts for me today. First had my first homegrown ghost pod ripen. Second I made my first review video using the ghost pod and one of my employees as the tester. I will try to download the video tonight to YouTube then post it here to share.

Can't wait to check out that video.

Still have not got the video to load onto youtube, every time it is just about finished i lose connection and have to start again.

Anyways loads of update pics to share.
downloadfile-392.jpeg

downloadfile-337.jpeg

downloadfile-326.jpeg

downloadfile-438.jpeg

downloadfile-287.jpeg

downloadfile-320.jpeg

downloadfile-403.jpeg

downloadfile-484.jpeg

downloadfile-237.jpeg

downloadfile-26.jpeg

So was told about free bhut plants on good old craigslist and answered the ad. Tonight I picked up several house plants and 4 or 5 large bhuts some yellow and the others red. The old owners of them had to move to Kansas because they are military. I will add pics of them in a few days after I get them adjusted.

So I have been canning a good many of my peppers from recent.
downloadfile-149.jpeg

orange habs
downloadfile-186.jpeg

manzano
downloadfile-80.jpeg

more habs with garlic and onions.
downloadfile-209.jpeg

serrano peppers
downloadfile-173.jpeg

chilaca
downloadfile-213.jpeg

pickled zuccini with habs
downloadfile-196.jpeg

pickled spears with thai chilis
downloadfile-201.jpeg

my half of a fun night cold canning in a brine mix.
downloadfile-189.jpeg

a yellow hab with a red stripe on it.
downloadfile-98.jpeg

Here are some of my plants with pepper at a glance.

Tabasco
downloadfile-452.jpeg

left to right is lemon drop, several super hots, thai pepper.
downloadfile-827.jpeg

mostly wilds
downloadfile-708.jpeg

Mind you that most of the plants are in the 4 foot range. bubble gum 7 pot red, yellow fatalii, and supposed guam pepper.
downloadfile-1841.jpeg

downloadfile-652.jpeg

downloadfile-857.jpeg

downloadfile-521.jpeg

downloadfile-569.jpeg

downloadfile-437.jpeg

downloadfile-418.jpeg

I harvested these two Criolla sella peppers tonight and used them in a jar of pickled zucchini.
downloadfile-1106.jpeg

This bb7pot is going to be so ready for the NorthWestChiliFest.
downloadfile-432.jpeg

It just amazes me that here a little over a week after picking the serrano plants just about clean because they had stopped making flowers and I have blooms and a few fruit already set.
downloadfile-1143.jpeg

One of my two supposed scotch bonnets, fingers crossed.
downloadfile-14.jpeg

My other one.
downloadfile-17.jpeg

A very productive little pepper
downloadfile-7.jpeg

Everything looks great Jacen.  Those greenhouses are awesome!
Great pods happening up there!

Wanted to say thanks for the rhombi start, it is doing well in the greenhouse!
_DSC2266a_zpscb499eec.jpg

Back