• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: BBQ'N Fools Deadly Hot BBQ

Product Name: BBQ'N Fools Deadly Hot BBQ

Style: American BBQ Sauce

Manufacturer: BBQ'N Fools Catering

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Tomato Concentrate, Vinegars (Apple Cider, White), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, Bourbon, Salt, Red Chile Peppers, Mustard Seed, Spices, Molasses, Natural Flavors, Caramel Color, Garic, Tamarind, Anchovies, Onion

Label/Packaging: I don't know that I have ever seen a more unique bottle for BBQ sauce. It is like a plastic paint squirt bottle with a flip-top lid. I love it! The label itself is pretty plain and slightly hard to read due to the small print, but I like the caricature of the jester skull dude.

Appearance/Aroma: The sauce looks to be a great smooth consistency, a deep dark reddish-brown color, and I can see spices in there. I love the smell of BBQ sauce and this one is no exception, it has the tangy smell of vinegar, but I can smell the sweetness and the peppers as well.

Am I a fool to think I can handle this?

Body of Review:
We don't review nearly enough BBQ sauces around here.  BBQ is one of my favorite cuisines and I was anxious to try this on many different foods.  Before I get to that I will tell you a little about the company.  Grant Ford is an award winning competition BBQ chef.  He has won awards like Team of the Year in Ribs, and Grand Champion in the State Championships of CA.  That along with a widely successful catering business tell me that he must know a little bit about BBQ.  I have had many BBQ sauces, but few REALLY good hot ones.  Most of the time people just take a regular sauce and put some extract in it and call it a day.  Not this one.

I immediately taste the sweetness of the sugar and corn syrup, then the complexity of this sauce really comes through with all the spices, the garlic, tamarind (LOVE tamarind in BBQ sauce), anchovies, and onion.  The vinegar gives it a nice tang, you can taste the apple cider vinegar a little, but it is by no means overpowering.  Happily I do not taste extract at all.  I was a little concerned when I read the "natural flavors" in the ingredients as that can sometimes be a cover for extract.  I would love to know what the peppers are in here.  I can't pick out an individual flavor of a specific kind of chile.

I rate heat a little differently for BBQ sauce than hot sauce. The heat level is perfect in this sauce.  It is a condiment that is meant to be used with food, therefore you have to be able to tolerate the heat for more than a few bites.  The heat starts as a little warm feeling in the back of the tongue and throat, and as you keep eating, it spreads throughout the mouth.  It is definitely enough heat to make a chilehead happy with their BBQ sandwich!  As you eat, the heat continues to build, but doesn't last long enough to keep you from going back for more.

The consistency is outstanding.  It is perfectly smooth, no grit, and no seeds.  It pours or squirts smoothly from the bottle and allows you to use just what you want. No shaking and pounding on the bottom of an overturned bottle to get nothing and then a huge glob of sauce.

Heat Level: 7

Applications: BBQ anything. I know some don't like BBQ sauce on pulled pork, but that is my favorite use for this. I also like it paired with their signature seasoning (another review for another time) on chicken and ribs.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.6

Notes: I can really find no faults with this sauce whatsoever. You have to order some and try it. Well done Phil! I am looking forward to trying the Hot Teriyaki next.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
"It is a condiment that is meant to be used with food, therefore you have to be able to tolerate the heat for more than a few bites."

Used with food? NO WAY! :lol:

Good review Jay. :)

Nice review!
I also like the tamarind in BBQ sauce. Sweet, sour and add the heat... Sounds like a winner to me.
I'm with SD... The teriyaki sounds pretty tasty as well.
I might have to pick some of this up myself.
Soon

I will review the Hot Teriyaki one next.  I think some tuna steaks might get it this week!  Yeah THP I see what you mean now, what else would you do with it? :lol:

Great review, I am about to go online to try buy some, thanks.

Edit: had to ask if they ship or have a distributor in New Zealand, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the great comments, greatly appreciated for sure. I plan to enter the Deadly Hot BBQ in the Scoive awards this year. Our old Foolishly Hot BBQ took a 1st Place about 12 years ago. It is not currently made at this time. When I get that one going again I send one to you. It's got a more apple vinegar hit to it and more chili seeds also. Been enjoying the BBQ World since 1999, Competition both cooking and the sauces and rubs. 

Thanks again,
Philip Grant Ford :fireball:

Back