• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Huy Fong Tuong Ot Sriracha

Product Name: Huy Fong Tuong Ot Sriracha

Style: Thai (style) table sauce

Manufacturer: Huy Fong Foods

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Chili, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfite and Xanthan Gum.

Label/Packaging: This is about as confusing of a label as I have ever seen. It is really just white lettering printed on a clear plastic bottle. Not that hard to read when full, but when emptry, a nightmare. The familiar rooster and the green cap is about the only identifying characteristic.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this sauce is that of ketchup. Very deep reddish orange. It appears to be very smooth, but thick. As far as aroma, HOLY GARLIC!!! I happen to love garlic, so that doesn't bother me. It is overpowering though. Hard to pick out much else. I thought I could smell tomato paste, but I don't see it in the ingredients. There also seems to be a sweet aroma from something. It must be the chiles.

Body of Review:
Huy Fong Sriracha is a sauce that is often discussed and debated. I think it is time that I weigh in and give my thoughts. Is this sauce worthy of being on so many grocer's shelves? Should it be in your fridge? Let's find out. First of all, what is this sriracha? It is the American version of the Thai table sauce of the same name. The sauces are very different however, the Huy Fong version is much milder, sweeter, thicker, and more garlicky than its authentic Thai counterpart. The heat is provided by red jalapenos instead of the Thai chiles in the Thai version.

The taste is sweet, savory, garlicky, slightly salty, and complex. I think there has been some fermentation done with this sauce. The texture is very smooth and thick. It is about the same consistency as ketchup. The heat is very minimal to say the least. I would compare it to a store bought cocktail sauce. Not that it has horseradish, but has about the same heat level.

Overall, I think the best thing about this sauce is its versatility. This is where the Huy Fong American version and the authentic Thai table sauce converge. You can literally use this sauce for anything. Ketchup was replaced by salsa as the number one condiment in the US for several reasons. One of which was that Americans like a little spice in their condiment. This sauce gives you that. It is spicier than ketchup and can be used in all the same ways. Let's look at some of the ways you can use this sauce.
Heat Level: 1.5

Applications: I love this sauce with Mexican food like tacos or enchiladas, Chinese food such as egg rolls and rice dishes, cheesesteaks, french fries, sushi, and use it very often in marinades for all sorts of meats.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.4

Notes: This is the single most versatile sauce that I have had. I always have a bottle in the fridge. If you want heat go elsewhere, but for flavor, cost, availability, and versatility, this sauce cannot be beat.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 135
Love this stuff too. I would like to try the Thai version for comparison. Is it hotter? more garlicky? Another good review J

Great review - I cannot agree more. This sauce is a standard for me. Nothing fancy, great in anything and I cook with it more often than not. I <3 this sauce. I think 4.4 is fair.

That's already the brand name of a Thai fish sauce so that could cause some confusion. Well, in Thailand. :)

Attachments

• cocksauce.jpg
    cocksauce.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 200
Reviving this to ask Jay how he determined that it was Jalape&ntilde;os as a base. Just got forwarded another article about reproducing the sauce at home that said the same. Of course, he proceeded to run afoul by using Fresnos instead, but that's another story...

"Huy Fong Foods' chili sauces are made from fresh, red Jalape&ntilde;o chili peppers"

Oh dear ...

You lot are in for a shock if you come to Thailand (where the sauce actually comes from).

Sometimes (at least in BKK) you'll get Sriracha sauce that's a bit different, ie a local version, and it most definitely won't have anything to do with jalepenos. What you'll get, 99% of the time, and only served with kai jeow (Thai omelette), is made by Heinz. What chillis they use, I have no idea. It's not great, but you get used to it. But it's not ''spicy'' at all. Pretty good with fried eggs, and even with what your people call ''dogs'' :-)

Oh God, don't visit the Chowhound forum ... I believe they're threatening to kill each other over what sauce you put on hot dogs ...

Been there. :) Ping pong show, anyone?

Love your country. Krabi beach is my favorite spot.

Good review, I'm reviving this old thread to ask if anyone else likes the Badia version of Sriricha even more than this...It has MUCH more garlic flavor and I didn't think that was possible...

Oh dear ...

You lot are in for a shock if you come to Thailand (where the sauce actually comes from).

Did I miss something in your post?

This hot sauce is made in California. Intersting background too. Los Angeles, CA to be specific.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/company.htm

Maybe you're thinking of a different sauce for your "dog"?

ETA - oh, we're you talking about the cock sauce!?

We always called Sriracha "rooster sauce".

Back