• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: White Label Hot Sauce #1

Product Name: White Label Hot Sauce #1

Style: Habanero

Manufacturer: White Label Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Distilled White Vinegar, Habanero Pepper Mash, Carrots, Onion, Orange Juice, Honey, Sea Salt, Garlic, Dried Chile Piquin, Orange Zest

Label/Packaging: I like the label, it is very simple and easy to read, but a little different at the same time because it IS a white label.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is that of a smooth sauce with lots of pepper skin flecks. Nice color. The aroma is very complex. I get the vinegar right off, but it is not overwhelming. You can tell it is a mash sauce. The citrusy smell of the orange and the pequins are also prominent.

Let's see if everything really is bigger in Texas.

Body of Review:
This sauce has my interest piqued right off the bat.  I love sauces that use mash, and I love pequins.  The aroma is promising me that I will be a fan of it as well.  You get it all right up front with this one.  The flavors of the hab and pequin jump right out at you immediately.  The vinegar is surprisingly not dominant.  Don't get me wrong, it is there, but this is no kicked up Tabasco.  I like the use of the orange in it.

I am really liking the consistency and mouthfeel of this sauce.  I did get a few bits of seed or spices, but they were so small that they were not really significant.

I have been a fan of pequins for a while, but the few sauces that I have had that featured them were not hot enough.  The habanero mash fixes this problem.  The heat in this one hits you right up front on your lips and tongue.  It is not a long lasting heat, nor does it build immensely like a bhut or 7-pot sauce does.  It is more of a dancing around your mouth for a few moments heat and then it bids you farewell.  The first thing that comes to mind to do with this sauce is wings.  Well, let's see what else it's good with.

Heat Level: 6.5

Applications: Definitely wings, shrimp, added to soups, gumbo, chicken, burgers, even pork.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.4

Notes: I really don't have anything bad to say about this sauce. It is different, and that is important as there are thousands of vinegar based sauces out there. This one really is worth giving a try.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87
Jay,

Thank you for the review! I couldn't be happier about it.

Cheers,

J. White (where the white in White Label comes from)

You are quite welcome.  As further comment, some people ask me what I do with all these sauces.  The answer quite frankly, is give them away after the review.    I just can't eat them all, and I would rather share them with people than throw them out down the road.  I did this review a little while ago, and it occurs to me that your sauce is still sitting here at my desk, 3/4 gone.  Must mean I like it. :lol:

Wow. Habs, pequins, orange zest and vinegar. Sounds excellent. Was there any sweetness to it? I love the look of the smooth texture, and I like specs of seeds and spices.

Great review Jay. As usual~

Good job J. White!

Thanks Scoville.

Lucky Dog, I've been meaning to order a bottle or two of your sauce based on the rave reviews, but haven't yet. Let me know if you want to exchange a bottle or two. 

Cheers.

capsaicin said:
Thanks Scoville.

Lucky Dog, I've been meaning to order a bottle or two of your sauce based on the rave reviews, but haven't yet. Let me know if you want to exchange a bottle or two. 

Cheers.
Always down for a trade! PM me an address & I'll reply with mine. For shipping efficiency let's go 2:2, thanks for the offer!
:cheers:

First, thanks very much to capsaicin for a great trade!

Second, a disclaimer - I am not a reviewer. That said, here's my review.

Had the sauce by itself - nice sharpness, a slight bitter undertone from the mash that gives it a Tabasco-ish flavor. It's hands down tastier than Tabasco, but it's that style if that makes sense. Flavor wise this sauce kicks Tabasco square in the testes. The similarity ends at the ferment undertones - the sauce has a complexity that Tabasco can only dream of. The habanero flavor is prominent but without dominant citrusy notes that can be overbearing on food.

Speaking of which, my friends popped in - one's a teacher and her student's mom makes & sells traditional tamales. So perfect timing - I used the sauce semi-liberally (dripped all over the tamale) and my buddy did the same - it was about the most perfect pairing imaginable. Traditional tamales, one was cheese & sliced jalapeño, the other a pork with a red sauce. These tamales were no schwag, and I'm a picky mo-fo when it comes to saucing food - especially a treat like home made old school recipe tamales. White Label was the perfect sauce for these tamales though as it turned out. Rich and complex, with a great pour, tanginess/sharpness, terrific building heat that doesn't overpower, but keeps lighting you up as you eat more. And on the tamales it was perfect flavor profile - excellent pairing for any traditional Mexican food. I would not hesitate to drip into a chili, on pizza or on a sandwich. Probably great in a Bloody Mary too.

I'm a fan - I could not agree more with JayT's review. This sauce deserved every bit of the high rating it got and I'm psyched ive got a couple of bottles. Do yourself a favor and pick some up. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks man. Seriously glad you enjoy it...and now I want tamales.

After tasting LDHS for the first time, this review really flatters. Appreciate the vote of confidence.

Cheers.

Man, have I been missing out on some great sauces! I'll have to look into picking up some of this one, too. JayT, thanks for the detailed review, us hot sauce aficionados really appreciate the descriptiveness!

Back