• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ok, here's a weird one.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on two dozen fresh peppers of various awesome super hot varieties and after extracting seeds from one of each, I threw them all in a sauce together to see what I'd end up with.

I used onion and garlic and fresh red jalapenos from my garden as the "base". I'm calling this one "Duckies and Bunnies."

Duckies and Bunnies Hot Sauce

1 tbs canola oil
1/2 Yellow Onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
5 ripe red jalapenos
1 fresh Bhut Jolokia
1 fresh Trinidad Scorpion
1 fresh 7 Pot "Jonah"
1 fresh Yellow 7 Pot/Mystery Chinense
1 fresh Fatalii
1 fresh Datil
1 fresh Goat Pepper
2 tbs Kecap Manis
1 tbs Fish Sauce
1/4 tsp salt

saute the garlic and onions in the hot oil until translucent, add the vinegar and all peppers and cook over low heat until soft (20 minutes.) Add kecap manis and fish sauce and cook for a few minutes longer. Into the food process and blend it until smooth. Taste, add salt if necessary, blend until creamy. Into bottles. Bottles into boiling water. Into the fridge.

Here's the fresh stuff:

EndOfSummerMisc025.jpg

Here's the end result. The yellowish-red of the peppers got a little brown thanks to the kecap manis.

EndOfSummerMisc027.jpg

A hot sauce, not blisteringly crazy hot but definitely up there. a teaspoon of it givees a great burn that's not too squirmy, at least for me. I'd have gone with less vinegar, less onion and less jalapeno if I'd wanted pure heat.

I find the Trinidad Scorpions and 7 Pots a little bitter on the back end, and the sauce has a bitter finish. I think it'll balance out well with sweet-hot food and for Mongolian Chicken tomorrow afternoon at work it'll be just about right.

Steve973 said:
Well, if you make this again, you could easily round out the bitterness with some pineapple and mango if that is something that sounds good to you.

I took your advice, Steve, and tried some Mango in the next one. This one was sure to be too bitter otherwise.

Out of curiosity, how is Chinense pronounced? Does it rhyme with "Incense" and "Dense" and "Fence?" If so, I want to call THIS sauce "Intense Chinense" if that hasn't been taken already.

I'm tentatively calling it "A Noise Annoys An Oyster" which is fun to say out loud:

"A Noise Annoys An Oyster"

5 Trinidad Scorpions
4 7 Pot "Jonah"
6 Red Jalapenos
1 Inferno Pepper
1 Super Ripe Mango
1 Shallot
5 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1 tbs. Fish Sauce
1 tsp. Kecap Manis
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt

002.jpg

Usual procedure (as per Duckies and Bunnies at the top of this thread.)

Look at that sea of angry placenta:

003.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell, but there were little beads of yellowish oil on the placenta on the 7 pots and Scorps:

005.jpg

Here it is in bottles:

009.jpg

And a closeup:

010.jpg

I had it on Chinese food tonight. HOLY CRAP! I'm not sure it's my favorite sauce I've made (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's NOT my favorite sauce I've made) but it's far and away the hottest.

The mango definitely helped cut the bitterness, but it's still pretty bitter. I don't think I care for the flavor of the Trinidad Scorpions and 7 Pots the way I like the flavor of the Nagas. Nagas taste really good to me, these are intense and have a lingering bitterness I can't seem to mask.

Next sauce will be a Bhut Jolokia, Fatalii and Datil blend. Those three peppers probably have the best flavor of any I've eaten so I'm hoping they make a great sauce.

smariotti - the recipes & sauces look tasty! as for weird...more like just different.
gotta love the interent to share ideas cuz I never thought about using fish sauce for hot sauce but now I'll consider using some to make some thai sauce using the thai chiles I have.

thehotpepper.com said:
I never found much use for fish sauce. I bought the Cock brand and it smelled like dead dish, not fish. I know you use one drop at a time but this stuff was pretty rank.

fish sauce goes good with asian food, as for smelling like dead fish :shocked: really!? I would of never thought that ;):lol:
FYI they leave the fish outside for several weeks (if not months?) in the sun in a brine to get that special funky taste/smell LOL

QuadShotz said:
Kinda like the deal with fermented black bean paste.

fermented black bean paste smells & tastes better.

chilehunter said:
fish sauce goes good with asian food, as for smelling like dead fish :shocked: really!? I would of never thought that ;):lol:
FYI they leave the fish outside for several weeks (if not months?) in the sun in a brine to get that special funky taste/smell LOL
You missed my point maybe. The food we eat is dead but it doesn't smell dead. Sushi has no smell. A fish laying in the sun on the beach smells like rotting fish. The Cock sauce smelled like that, and add some ass. ;)

Yes, I know it's a Thai ingredient. Thai use fish sauce, Chinese use oyster sauce. I eat Thai at least once a week.

Badger said:
Looks like another winner to me smariotti. The colour is amazing - it looks like lava!:hell:

Cheers Badger!

It tastes like lava too. I haven't got the guts (heh!) to do a tablespoon full just straight. I've mixed it in with food, but ended up just dabbing bites of food into a small pool of it. I'd never have thought an all-natural sauce could be so hot.

thehotpepper.com said:
You missed my point maybe.

maybe so...or not ?

thehotpepper.com said:
The food we eat is dead but it doesn't smell dead. Sushi has no smell..

maybe the reason being is cuz its on the fresh side :think:

thehotpepper.com said:
A fish laying in the sun on the beach smells like rotting fish. The Cock sauce smelled like that, and add some ass. ;)

well now you know where that flavorful flavor comes from :lol:

heres a quote from a thai cookbook I have, about making fish sauce.

" anchovies brought to factory...mixed w/salt put in concrete tanks w/steel sheet metal for cover -(I added the steel metal cuz of the pic they show).....at 1 month it has started to break down.....fish ferments in its own juices aided by the sun & heat & preserved from the salt....
when fish has fermented for 12 months it has broken down enough for the solids to sink to the bottom of the tank, leaving the fish sauce at the top........small ammount of sugar is added..."

there you have it, it sure makes ya hungry for some of it, dont it ? :lol:

Back