• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Ok, so I got sh!tty soil, now what

I bought some bad soil at the box home improvement spot. Right under $7.00 a bag so I had to try. "For Vergatables" it says... It was 2.0 cu ft so it was more and cheaper than the 15+- I was paying for 1.5 cu ft of fox farm. Live and learn. Looks like little more than wood chips with perlite...

So I have a few plants that I finally up potted that were my most mature plants. At the beginning I thought my seeds were not going to take, so I started a second batch of seeds nearly a month after the first batch. Now the second batch of seeds has surpassed the first batch of seeds in both size and health. I know this is because of the soil because when I up potted the younger plants the took off. It's been a few weeks now and the recently up potted first batch of plants is almost in a zombie state.

So, what are my options to help my lagging plants in poor soil? Remove and repot with good soil? Ferts? Both? I went with cheap soil also because I'm short on money. I might just have to go get that 1.5 cu ft of fox farm though to help my poor plants.

@imaguitargod I know, I had to give a try. They'll go into shock won't they.? I have to shake off the old crappy soil and repot right? Man, poor plants.

@patrick I'm kind of thinking, I have a lot of this crappy soil, what about buying some straight chicken manure and mixing it in 50/50 or 2:1. Has to improve it somewhat.

I got a box of epsom salt today at the dollar place, 2lbs for a buck. Gotta dig that. So I mixed approx. 2tbsp into 2 liters of agua and fed it to the 3 lagging plants. See what that does over the next days. I'm already low on fundage, I can't get the FoxFarm yet till end of the month.

Diablo said:
@imaguitargod I know, I had to give a try. They'll go into shock won't they.? I have to shake off the old crappy soil and repot right? Man, poor plants.
They will go into shock. It depends how big they are though for shaking off the dirt.

@imaguitargod I guess I'll have to feel it out. They'r maybe 14" tall, scrawny plants, Tequila Sunrise. The suspected Chile Pequin/Fresno doesn't seem to be hurting as much as the Tequila Sunrise plants.

Diablo said:
@imaguitargod I guess I'll have to feel it out. They'r maybe 14" tall, scrawny plants, Tequila Sunrise. The suspected Chile Pequin/Fresno doesn't seem to be hurting as much as the Tequila Sunrise plants.

Hmmm...I would shake the dirt off, just dig around the roots and plant in a new pot, but plant the plant a little deeper.

@imaguitargod Ok, thanks dude. I'll try and post pics here whevnever I'm able to go through with the repot. Till then I'm gonna try some supplimenting to see if I can bridge some of the gap.

@imaguitargod I know, three things...

1. I feel like it takes up a bit more space than it needs to on a page to use the quote, unless I really need to address a specific point of someone's post or my reply to someone is back a page or supm.

2. I'm doing my part in trying to assimilate everyone into the twitter collective.

3. I was testing and was wondering how long it'd take to bug the sh!t outta you...:)

Adding some chicken manure would be a great way to liven up that soil. I would go with an 80/20 ratio though soil to manure. Then peat, about the same amount as the dirt/manure combined. Then about three gallons of perlite. Couple of cups of pelletized lime then mix it all up. Hope that helps. Should be under $20 total.

Good luck!!

patrick said:
Adding some chicken manure would be a great way to liven up the twitter collective.

I love the quote button... :lol:

Dyce51 said:
yes I agree the multi quote is a very useful tool!!!!

caroltlw said:
I love the multiquote buttons. :D

peppermanbaha said:
Yeah cool feature

joeknowsjolokia said:
It is a cool feature! :halo:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SH!T!

HUGHES-Faceplant.gif

i bought some soil from a local nursery for 5 bucks a few weeks back. It really looks like top soil with some styrafoam mixed in it. So i started and potted some seeds in it, a week later i got some MG ( miracle grow ) soil . I put some of the plants growing together in the nursery mix in pots with the mg soil. The plants in the mg r 5 x bigger than the mursery mix. So the 1 's in the nursery mix which were like little seedlings. I took out and removed the soil and mixed it with some schultz and miracle grow soil we'll see how it goes.

Back