• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

OK to transplant??

I have my first batch of ghost and white habs about 2" tall with 2-4 leaves almost reaching the lid of the germ tray...

OK to put into 16 oz cups now??

G

i transplanted my seedlings as soon as they come out... but i sprout mine in egg flats...

Photo0091.jpg

i just pluck the bottom part out to help the roots out... then smash it into the cup...

HTH...

For sure. I transplant my seedlings right when they pop up. The ones that I didn't transplant right away had the tendency to get "leggy".

i transplanted my seedlings as soon as they come out... but i sprout mine in egg flats...

Photo0091.jpg

i just pluck the bottom part out to help the roots out... then smash it into the cup...

HTH...
I would NOT transplant at this time, I only transplanted one of my plants at stage yours are at and the others that I left alone grew alot faster than the one I transplanted. I think the pepper plants like to have some root development before being transplanted. It's really a matter of opinion though. For example some people begin feeding thier plants as soon as thier true leaves start to appear, where as others prefer to wait until 3 sets of leaves appear. I can only tell you from my own personal exp. that I would advise against transplantingt for the time being.

First, are they still under a lid? If they are, you should remove that, like, yesterday. It can totally bake those little beasts. In theory, you can plant your seedlings into whatever size you want. The drawback is the fact that you will have a small rootball. In my opionion, and most of the heavyweights on the forum, you should wait until there is an established rootball (when you lift the seedling out of the tray, the roots are wrapping, but not completely covered). Then when you plant them in their next size you tease the roots out a bit and let them grow to take over that pot. If you just stick them in a Solo cup, 3x3 pot, or #1 pot, you will still have a growing plant, but the point is it will only make for a stronger plant if you are patient. If you don't have to move them, then dont.

I would wait until you see roots poking out the bottom of the cells to pot up. Also, take the cover off and give them light as soon as they sprout. I cut out the sprouted cells, and move them one by one to an empty cell tray that is under lights. That way, the sprouts get light right away, and the others stay covered and warm until they sprout.

Beat me to it

These are from PIC 1 (Greg's GLOG) NOT MINE! Here is a perfect example of what we are talking about
IMG_2583.jpg

Here's a Bhut Carbon in a 3" pot. It's not ready to be potted up.......yet

IMG_2588.jpg

Here's a Bhut Jolokia Chocolate x Yellow v1 f4 ...(JR), this ones ready to move into the 5" pot

+1 what they said. And Garp---------post pix or it didn't happen...... :cool:
Using jiffy trays and a warm pad under both. They are right by a south facing sliding door so they'll get pleny of light until it's time to put them out.
One tray is all ghosts. The other is 1/3 red ghost, 1/3 white hab and 1/3 white ghost.

Next two rtays are trinidads, red congos, prairie fire and black marbles.

p2-2.jpg

p1-2.jpg

I would wait until you see roots poking out the bottom of the cells to pot up. Also, take the cover off and give them light as soon as they sprout. I cut out the sprouted cells, and move them one by one to an empty cell tray that is under lights. That way, the sprouts get light right away, and the others stay covered and warm until they sprout.
Im goping to try shuffling the cells around to do this now that there's space in them to work with.

Yea, those are early. The ones that are already in the cups, leave em. The others, leave em as well. Before you pot up, cut the mesh away. It will inhibit root growth, no matter what the pkg says. Also, they look pretty leggy. Do you have any supplemental light? Looks like they need a bit.

Hey, thanks Garp! It really IS happening for you. I can see it all.

I don't grow with the Jiffy thingies, but many here say to let the plant get a set of true leaves, not just the two cotylendons before transplanting. And for gosh sakes, don't ever let them dry out. And cut away the netting before you transplant. Oh, and it helps to fluff up the top of the Jiffy to loosen it before planting the seed.

But I only learned this here, on the internet, so I could be wrong. Good luck and welcome to the pepper growing machine.... :cool:

Ill try cutting some nets away and re-arranging them a bit...the edge ones seemto do better, they were wetter from the water collecting and runnign down the sides of the lid.so I'll be sure to make sure the middles get more moisture. I also have a cople of moveable grow lights i can put by/over them, we'll see how they do. thanks for the input everyone!

I first want to thank everyone for the great info. I then have a question... I have all of my seeds starting in plastic baggies w/ damp paper towels. I have learned that when they get the first little root it is time to move them. My question is what is the best method? Put them into the little pellets on a tray, in an egg crate, or something different? Sorry, new to growing from the seed, I've done some in the past with success (probably dumb luck) but I just want to make sure I give all my little guys the best chance. TIA!

Hey tj,

You can transplant the seeds into anything, jiffy's, rockwool, seed starting mix..........jiffy, hoffmans or schultz are all fine textured without any perlite added.
I'd recommend one of the seed starting mixes. Place it into small pots or containers. (make sure its moistened before hand) Tamp the mix down lightly , poke a 1/4 in hole im the middle and drop the tail or root end down. Scatter a light amount of mix over that and mist with a spray bottle. I'd also cover with a plastic dome of a plastic bag, Thin weight, (like the dry cleaners would issue out with the clothing). Heat mat helps a great deal but is not necessary if your only planting a tray's worth. Find a warm non drafty place.

I usually don't use the paper towel method, but someone has sent me some very difficult seeds to crack and they just haven't germinated that well 2 of 30. Seeds from Jamaica. So I'm trying the moistened towel in the zip bag over a heat mat. I'm hoping the constant moisture and heat will produce a few more "Bonnets"

Greg

Hey tj,

You can transplant the seeds into anything, jiffy's, rockwool, seed starting mix..........jiffy, hoffmans or schultz are all fine textured without any perlite added.
I'd recommend one of the seed starting mixes. Place it into small pots or containers. (make sure its moistened before hand) Tamp the mix down lightly , poke a 1/4 in hole im the middle and drop the tail or root end down. Scatter a light amount of mix over that and mist with a spray bottle. I'd also cover with a plastic dome of a plastic bag, Thin weight, (like the dry cleaners would issue out with the clothing). Heat mat helps a great deal but is not necessary if your only planting a tray's worth. Find a warm non drafty place.

I usually don't use the paper towel method, but someone has sent me some very difficult seeds to crack and they just haven't germinated that well 2 of 30. Seeds from Jamaica. So I'm trying the moistened towel in the zip bag over a heat mat. I'm hoping the constant moisture and heat will produce a few more "Bonnets"

Greg

Thanks a bunch, Greg. I'm trying to figure out the best method and get everything ready. Now I just have to be patient and wait for them to germinate!

Julie

Well they seem to have weathered the transplant OK. Put them in red solo cups with a few drain holes in the bottom

t1nsA.jpg

Back