• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer ok what about fertilizer (natural)?

Omri said:
I'm recommending humus because I know how good it is.
Not making it, just buying it in packs. expensive stuff.
I'll be making my own soon, cause free is way better than expensive.
The worms cost a few dollars, and then they reproduce (900 baby worms for each year per worm).
Making humus takes a week to a month (depends on what they are breaking down, and how many worms).

Thats what I am thinking about doing but use some larger night crawlers and hopefully I can keep them alive during the hot summer. I figured the good Lord gave me these animals to take care of and eat and I should use everything they give me.

okie joe said:
Thats what I am thinking about doing but use some larger night crawlers and hopefully I can keep them alive during the hot summer. I figured the good Lord gave me these animals to take care of and eat and I should use everything they give me.
From what I know, they're not suitable for making vermicompost.
Just google "vermicompost", you'll find lots of great info.
Here some for example:
http://agri.and.nic.in/vermi_culture.htm

around these parts farmers take fresh manure & just spread it in the field or if its liquid they just pump (inject) the manure into the fields. AFTER the crop has been harvested for the year (falltime), then come springtime they just till the ground & plant.
seems like just leave the manure sit & dry out or be exposed to the elements for several months is good enough, for above ground usage before tilled into the ground.

Omri said:
All I know is that they're mainly used for bait, not compost making.

Because they're slower, not because they won't get the job done. It gets back to that whole patience and gardening thing.

Pam said:
Because they're slower, not because they won't get the job done. It gets back to that whole patience and gardening thing.
Good to know. still wouldn't it be better to just use Eisenia fetida?

Anybody here is vermicomposting??
I would like to hear first hand experience ?
I would try to make it in my basement ,buy my question is does it smell even a little my wife will have a problem with this,any first hand experience would be appreciated
Andy

Omri said:
Good to know. still wouldn't it be better to just use Eisenia fetida?

If you're in a hurry, yes. If you're trying to save money and have plenty of time, though, night crawlers will get it done...after awhile.

andy999 said:
Anybody here is vermicomposting??
I would like to hear first hand experience ?
I would try to make it in my basement ,buy my question is does it smell even a little my wife will have a problem with this,any first hand experience would be appreciated
Andy
Do you mean making vermicompost?
The worms take organic substance and break it down. the only smell is the one the organic substances had before the process.
Decomposing should not happen, it's actually bad for the worms, so no smell (at least that's how it should be).

I'm not making it, but I am using it. great stuff.

No you're right Andy. I am planning on vermicomposting when it warms up a bit and this will produce vermicompost.;)

I used a worm casting "tea" after my seedlings came about. At my Home Depot there is a liquid Worm Casting product that I am buying later today and concocting my tincture

LUCKYDOG said:
I used a worm casting "tea" after my seedlings came about. At my Home Depot there is a liquid Worm Casting product that I am buying later today and concocting my tincture

That's good to know. I'll check out the Home Despot around here. I think I am going to have to start growing my own worms, but that's way down on my project list.

imaguitargod said:
You can always make your own tea from worm castings, it's pritty easy.
it is quite easy in fact when I used it with my seedlings it was already in "tea bags" ready to steep. From Worms Way.

Pam said:
That's good to know. I'll check out the Home Despot around here. I think I am going to have to start growing my own worms, but that's way down on my project list.

In my Home Depot it is in the garden center where they have the Orchids and Ferns along with Tomatoe tone and such. Its not with the 50lb bags of fertilizer is what Im getting at.
I'm hoping that the liquid is a concentrate where I could make a few gallons out of a pint.

Pam I dont know if you were looking... yesterday I found it at my HD. It comes in recycled soda bottles 2 liter and a smaller one with lawn sprayer attachement. Wasnt quite what I was looking for at the moment however.

you know I been thinking :think: about this thread and I think it is about a bunch of Bull S*** or plain ol' Horse Manure...:shocked: :lol:

Back