Old Friends in the Kitchen.......

When I was a young woman I wanted every latest gadget, matching sets of pots/pans & all the trendiest kitchen stuff. Now, many years later, I have a whole kitchenful of old friends. My 30 year-old Magnalite domed roaster sits in all it's aging glory under the kitchen island. My Le Crueset big frying pan has lost all it's non stick inside, but is the best frying pan i've ever owned. I have a couple of Guardianware cast aluminum pots that always serve me well. My cookie sheets are super heavy-duty surgical trays I bought years ago at a yard sale & found they were the very best thing for cookies, flat breads & a whole lot of other stuff, too! There's a jumbo Penn.Dutch colander; all dented & funny-looking that i've used for maybe 25 years. My stoneware jar of utensils boasts some that you can't even find anymore, plus some awesome heavy cast steel utensils that I bought years ago in Pakistan. I have my grandma's cast-iron "spider" & my mama's cast-iron dutch oven. I still use a potato ricer & a Swing Away can opener. My blender is a "real" beehive Osterizer from the 1950's and works like a charm. All these old friends bring back memories of fun times cooking, special recipes that turned out well & holidays & parties & good times from the past. You couldn't get me to exchange them for shiny new stuff no matter how you tried! Anyone else feel that attached to their old kitchen stuff?:crazy:

Got a couple things...even though I am a young buck (25) that have been around for ages that still see the light of day occasionally. Got some old cast iron that sees use a good bit. Got a knife, that my babysitter (thought of her as a 3rd grandmother, my biological grandmothers were jealous of her, seriously lol) used, and was given to me when she passed away, always sharpened on the back porch stone step....I can sharpen a knife, but Ive tried on some drude things, and never did as good as she did with that old knife on the steps, is an old stainless cheap knife that the lions club used to sell here, lots of places (churches) keep them and sell them. Never found anything to peel a tomato like it.

Back