• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Olive Rocoto variant (mustard)

Here is a mustard colored spinoff of the iconic Mini Olive Rocoto. This season I was trying to grow the original again as they are one of the best tasting peppers out there. I grew two plants and this is how one turned out. These are substantially hotter than the original with the flavor being a small step behind.

51428015656_db32c9838c_c.jpg

51428989895_edae74c737_c.jpg

51428256133_1ae3162c56_c.jpg

51427263267_ebb34b30d8_c.jpg

51427263187_22ffe27d03_c.jpg

51428990000_8feee64ec7_c.jpg

51428015706_b462e210c0_c.jpg

Here is a mustard colored spinoff of the iconic Mini Olive Rocoto. This season I was trying to grow the original again as they are one of the best tasting peppers out there. I grew two plants and this is how one turned out. These are substantially hotter than the original with the flavor being a small step behind.
Those look special. Must also make it a bit easier to see when ripe?

I'm growing the Mini Olive Rocoto for the first time this year, had seeds for a few years but eventually got round to it this season. None ripe yet but plenty on the small plant.

Beautiful purple flowers there. I’m sure the bees and other pollinators appreciated them. The size reminds me of the jalapeños I grew this year unfortunately 🥴. I won’t be growing jalapeños again, my tolerance level has blown way past there anyways.

These are great to grow and Rebecca Toubol was lucky to get this fantastic pheno and gracefully passed it on,a few different phenos have appeared over the years and Mr P has got a gorgeous one.
Nina la Torre got a Mustard from the original last year to.👍

Last edited:
Those look special. Must also make it a bit easier to see when ripe?

I'm growing the Mini Olive Rocoto for the first time this year, had seeds for a few years but eventually got round to it this season. None ripe yet but plenty on the small plant.
You will not be disappointed.

These are absolutely stunning. Easily the most tempting pubescens I’ve seen. I would love a chance at growing these… would you like any help stabilizing the phenotype?

I honestly have not saved a seed. People send me shit and I grow them. I really have no interest in peppers anymore other than basic annuums.

I honestly have not saved a seed. People send me shit and I grow them. I really have no interest in peppers anymore other than basic annuums.

Fair enough! I’m encouraged that this isn’t the first time folks have seen this. I think I’ll just add Mini Olive Rocoto to my grow list for the next few years and see if I can get one myself.

I was placing a Semillas La Palma order and saw they had the Mini Olive, so I threw that in.

I’m going to squeeze 4+ into my 2022 grow, or however many healthy plants I get out of the packet. Were there any pre-ripening clues that it was different?

I realize I’d be petty lucky to see the mutation right off the bat, but the Mini Olive is cool enough I won’t mind if it takes a few years to show up.

I was placing a Semillas La Palma order and saw they had the Mini Olive, so I threw that in.

I’m going to squeeze 4+ into my 2022 grow, or however many healthy plants I get out of the packet. Were there any pre-ripening clues that it was different?

I realize I’d be petty lucky to see the mutation right off the bat, but the Mini Olive is cool enough I won’t mind if it takes a few years to show up.

I don't think what Semillas is selling is accurate. This is the problem when selling an unstable product. I'm actually shocked at how many people are selling this after a quick search. Wow!

Getting back to previous comments....This is the reason I stopped saving and trading seeds. I couldn't care less who profits from them,but I am not going contribute to it when I get nothing from it.

I also saw some of my photos on vendor websites during that quick search. Ignorant and lazy people! The guy that runs Semillas has messaged me here with a "Seeds"?

Sorry to sound disgruntled but this hobby has grown way past me. Here is a link to the proper phenotype of the Mini Olive Rocoto.

The one here is the mustard variety and has a tone light a bright Spanish olive.

Back