• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Omega's Grow Log 2012

So after last year's mini-grow season, I have to say that I'm hooked for life! All the friendly advice I received on here and the end results of the pepper harvest were all needed to continue growing peppers. I decided to start earlier this year since my harvest was in June last year. Last year, I only had 24 plants to deal with which were fairly easy to take care of. This year I have teamed up with my brother in-law, who is also a chili-head, who has a huge full sun plot where we can plant close to 100 plants. With my garden and his, we should be able to have a pretty good harvest. I stepped it up a notch this year and have planted 245 seeds so far (super hots mostly). Of course I don't expect all to germinate but hope to get at least 80% given the seeds sources I used this year.

Here's the list so far

Inception Date: 01/10/12
20 - Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad Scorpion Original - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD “Brainstrain” - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD “Jonah” - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD “Primo” - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD “Barrack Pore” - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD Original - Pepperlover
20 - Trinidad 7 POD “Douglah” - omega (from last season)
20 - Habanero White - Pepperlover
20 - Scotch Bonnet Orange - Trade Winds
15 - Bhut Jolokia Red - Trade Winds
20 - Bhut Jolokia Yellow - omega (from last season)
5 - Pakistani - Pepperlover
5 - Fatalii - RedtailForester

We pre-soaked the seeds in 10% hydrogen peroxide distilled water room temperature for about 2 hours before sowing sowing them in a 50 pod mini jiffy greenhouse (5 seeds per pod). The soil I used was ProMix BX which I love and I placed a lizard heating pad under it which heats to around 85 degrees. I also winterized 4 mother plants from last year (Red Trinidad Scorpion, Douglah, Red Bhut and Yellow Bhut) which produced over 100 pods each. This was my first attempt on winterizing, so hopefully I did it right. I'm hoping to get an early season with these and have bigger pods.

My brother in-law and I are in the middle of writing plans for the grow room at his house, and haven't made any hard plans yet. Probably going to go with T12 lights, but don't know yet. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

I will be posting pictures soon and doing weekly updates on the progress of the plants. Wish me luck!

You're going to have some serious heat when those peppers mature next summer/fall! T8's are a good economical lighting option for seedlings. I got a dual bulb fixture for $12 at Lowe's, with the 2 32W bulbs cost $6. If you're not going to grow from seed to fruit under lights, they're probably the way to go. If you check out the pictures in my growlog, the Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) in the top picture has been grown under a dual bulb T8, while the Trinidad Scorpion (Red) in the bottom picture has been growing under an 85W CFL. They're about the same size (the yellow scorp is just a little larger), and while the leaves on the one growing under the CFL are a little bit darker, the plant under the T8's seem quite compact and healthy. Good luck with your grow!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27526-mjdiamond83s-2012-grow-log/

Looks like your going to busy with all them plants and I wish you the best of luck for the season ahead :)

Thanks! Not sure what we're getting into with this many plants, but we're going to try our best. Worst case scenario, we'll cull a few.

That is some serious heat!!

Yep! Serious indeed! I'm excited about the Brainstrains!

You're going to have some serious heat when those peppers mature next summer/fall! T8's are a good economical lighting option for seedlings. I got a dual bulb fixture for $12 at Lowe's, with the 2 32W bulbs cost $6. If you're not going to grow from seed to fruit under lights, they're probably the way to go. If you check out the pictures in my growlog, the Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) in the top picture has been grown under a dual bulb T8, while the Trinidad Scorpion (Red) in the bottom picture has been growing under an 85W CFL. They're about the same size (the yellow scorp is just a little larger), and while the leaves on the one growing under the CFL are a little bit darker, the plant under the T8's seem quite compact and healthy. Good luck with your grow!

http://www.thehotpep...-2012-grow-log/

Yeah we might consider T8's, but just have to see what budget we have first. That could get pricey, but then again electricity is too. :) Thanks for the input!

Looks like a great list. Plenty of heat there. I would recommend staying away from T12s and going with T8s at the least and T5s if you can swing the price. That is if you are going to stick with Flouro. I am a believer in MHs so you know my recommendation. What are you thinking for a grow room? I got a 5x5x7 tent off ebay for a buck fifty and free shipping. Works great and I was about to build a room in the garage. The wife is much happier and in the long run, this was less expensive.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27401-matts-glog-of-sorts/

Scroll to the bottom of the first post for the happy snap. Keep us posted on this.

That is a serious heat forestation, wish I could buy those seed's, its to damn expensive in here. Cant wait to see your grow log's.

Well, I'm afraid I have bad news. After 7 days of inception date (01/17), We had about 50 sprouts. Well, I got the bright idea to transfer the mini green house to my grow box thinking we would be ok for one night before transplanting the sprouts to dixie cups and moving to under lights the following day. I didn't even have a thermometer in the box yet. Stupid!!! Apparently the temperature got so hot that it fried almost every single seedling. Yes all 245 in less than 24 hours!!! Having the heating pad on with the lights in an enclosed area is not a good and it never dawned on me for some reason. After putting a thermometer in there a few days later, the temperature must have gotten to over 100 degrees in a matter of minutes.

The good news is that I still have some seeds (at least some of the superhots left), so we'll try this again. I'm kind of glad that this happened now instead of 2 months down the road because I can start over again and still be good for transplanting outside. I'm just sick right now I can't stand it, but things could be worse, and I have learned from my mistake. I went and bought an attic fan thermostat today and plan on creating an exhaust fan setup in the new grow box that we are planning for the spare bedroom. I won't ever let this happen again I can assure you that!! Wish me luck on my second attempt! lol

Back