• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Omega's Indoor Grow Setup

My brother in-law and I are in the process of building an indoor grow box, and we're about 90% complete. I thought I would share what we did and how it works. We used 100% 3/4 " plywood for the structure due to the fact that we wanted a seamless interior.
photo%2520%25286%2529.JPG

We then decide to go the cheap route and use aluminum foil backed with adhesive.
photo%2520%25287%2529.JPG

For cooling, I found this website in Anaheim, CA which specializes in fans and I bought 2 120mm high speed (110 cfm) cabinet fans which are controlled by a thermostat. These fans are quite impressive! I bought them from www.acfandepot.com at $15 a pop.
photo%2520%25288%2529.JPG

photo%2520%252812%2529.JPG

photo%2520%25289%2529.JPG

For lighting, we went with T8's due to budget. 4 daylight and 2 cool whites which surprisingly put out a lot of light for the volume we have. The lighting will eventually be connected to a timer for 18 hour light cycles, but not yet setup.
photo%2520%252810%2529.JPG

The shelving is galvanized diamond mesh ($8 for a 8' sheet at Home Depot)
photo%2520%252813%2529.JPG

photo%2520%252814%2529.JPG

The thermostat is set to kick on the fans at around 88 degrees and shuts off around 84 degrees. After enclosing the box and trying to control the temp, we quickly found out that 2 fans take about 10 minutes to cool down 4 degrees. Although this might be fine now, probably going to order 2 more to account for more lighting in the future. Plus it will cycle the fans less saving energy. We're also going to build cabinet doors with glass windows before we're done, but this is the setup for now. Any comments or suggestions are welcome as this is only the second indoor box I've built.

Wow that is amazing even thought the front door looks a bi odd, I'm sure the reflection helps, this makes me want to build something on a smaller scale. Nice job.

Great cabinet. It will be awesome with doors!

Thanks everyone. I just received 2 more fans in the mail today which will be installed Friday. Hopefully this will control the temp a little bit faster and provide a a good wind source for developing strong seedling stalks. We transplanted 20-30 seedlings last night to dixie cups, and germinated about 200 more seeds. lol More pics to come..

Nice setup. How did u connect fans to thermostat? I want to do it but don't know how all ur help will be appreciated thanks

Nice setup. How did u connect fans to thermostat? I want to do it but don't know how all ur help will be appreciated thanks

It's actually easier than you think. I banatomy he atomic fan thermostat at home depot for like $30. It runs off of 110VAC. They come with wiring diagrams but all it is a single pole switch between the hot wire. I'll take a picture when I get home from work and show you.

Is it NC or NO? I can't understand it from the wiring diagram
If it's been designed for FAN perhaps it's a Normally Open.
Anyway, very good job!

Is it NC or NO? I can't understand it from the wiring diagram
If it's been designed for FAN perhaps it's a Normally Open.
Anyway, very good job!

It basically the same as a light switch. Normally open until selected temp is reached. Then closes at 6-8 degrees below selected temp. Works like a champ!

Back