• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One of these things is not like the others

This 'Jamaican Red Habanero' from Pepper Joes looks a lot like an annuum to me. It is pictured next to a Ghost and a Trinidad Scorpion. I could very well be wrong, as I have never grown this exact variety before. I planted several, and they all look like this. I am also sure I did not get seeds mixed up because I don't have any annuum seeds.

What do you think?

I'm comfortable with being wrong.. I'm asking because I really don't know as I have not grown this variety. All I know is I thought it was supposed to be a chinense, and it looks different from the others. I don't have the room for mystery plants this year and I was trying to make up my mind if these should go into the compost pile. 

You may be right. I would not be surprised if they are not what you ordered. My scotch bonnets I ordered from Joe appear to actually be Jamaican mushrooms. I'm sorry you didn't get what you ordered. It's not the first time i've seen it being brought up on here.

That's the nice version of how I feel. lol

I have a yucatan white habanero from refining fire chiles. Its leaves are narrow and long like yours.  I have it next to all my super hots, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. All the pics i can find of mine online show the same leaf shape. Hope that helps.

I ordered Carolina Reaper seeds from Pepper Joe last year and a couple people told me that they didn't look right as they were growing. They had long skinny leaves and I was told that they were probably an annum. I was worried but in the end they turned out to be exactly what I ordered. They were some awesome looking Reapers.

Back