• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OneHighJedi's 2019 Grow Log

Starting to germinate seeds I received from another member of the forums today. Got some reaper, bhut, 7 pot, and brazillian starfish.

Big shout-out to Saiias for em'. I will definitely try to keep the log updated and track all the major progressions.

Let's get this season started!

Attachments

• 20190119_105321.jpg
    20190119_105321.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 82
saiias said:
I know you want to grow everything but as wise men said, don't bite more than you can chew. If you have already started seeds, you can always donate them to friends and introduce them to hot peppers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk for a PT-3
I agree, more plants mean more time and effort. I started too ambitious last year and ended up losing half my plants. Grow what you can handle bro

Surely you could handle a few hundred!

Glad to see the glog after you were suspected to be scamming! Lol. Keep it up. My first major year of growing was last year. The plants could have done better, but my freezer is full, the in-laws freezer has quite a few bags, and I gave away a bunch. Growing in buckets your just gonna have to worry about how much fertilizer, water, and soil you can afford. Most of my plants were in the ground and pretty much fending for themselves.

OneHighJedi said:
3 weeks later and there hasn't been plenty of growth. not sure if it's because im using miracle gro, or im just being impatient with these hot peppers, but shouldnt they be bigger

put a few in direct sunlight, and the others in shade. gonna monitor each batch and see how they grow...

ZnhkOyN.jpg
I851Vl4.jpg
h7xD92h.jpg
OTjjAHi.jpg

Something is definitely wrong. My plants are usually around a foot tall by a month, though I do use hydroponics to start seeds.

OneHighJedi said:
3 weeks later and there hasn't been plenty of growth. not sure if it's because im using miracle gro, or im just being impatient with these hot peppers, but shouldnt they be bigger

put a few in direct sunlight, and the others in shade. gonna monitor each batch and see how they grow...

ZnhkOyN.jpg
I851Vl4.jpg
h7xD92h.jpg
OTjjAHi.jpg

I believe that you might not be giving them enough light, thatll usually stunt their growth. Whats your light schedule like?

Id introduce some mycorrhizae fungi and then theyd really go nuts

It would be helpful to know:
What's your container soil medium? 100% miracle grow?  Which one, seedling mix? Container mix?
I see wood chips - are those part of the packaged mix or has anything been added to make the mix custom?
What's the coldest they are getting during each day?  How warm are they getting on average?
Where does their water come from?  Are you adding anything to their water?

I suspect they're staying too wet, but there could be other problems.
I'm not seeing any stretch in the main stem, so I doubt that inadequate light would be the (only) culprit.

CaneDog said:
It would be helpful to know:
What's your container soil medium? 100% miracle grow?  Which one, seedling mix? Container mix?
I see wood chips - are those part of the packaged mix or has anything been added to make the mix custom?
What's the coldest they are getting during each day?  How warm are they getting on average?
Where does their water come from?  Are you adding anything to their water?

I suspect they're staying too wet, but there could be other problems.
I'm not seeing any stretch in the main stem, so I doubt that inadequate light would be the (only) culprit.

the soil is miracle gorw - in ground mix. i know thats horrible because its gonna be compacted in the cups..

coldest would be 40f at night, sometimes.. highs are reaching 65+ now

water mostly from rain thats been coming on and off..

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think they're getting too cold and the roots are getting too much water and not enough oxygen and warmth.  If you still have seeds, I would start new seeds because new, happy growing seedlings will probably overtake those quickly, with less hassle, and with less risk of ongoing issues.  Seeds that start out unhealthy are often poorer performers no matter what you do later and sometimes will fail to thrive at all.  These may already have root rot or other significant issues.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

For $10 at home depot you can get these.
[SIZE=10.5pt]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Seed-Starting-8-qt-Potting-Soil-Mix-74978500/204502223[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-8-qt-Perlite-74278430/204502291[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I recommend using a ratio of 75% seedling mix with 25% perlite for new seeds and I'd transplant existing sprouts into the same. Before you fill a cup, premoisten to where the mix just barely or doesn't quite hold together when squeezed in your hand.  [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]I'd keep them warmer and drier and bring them back inside to a sunny window.  You don't want them getting below the upper 50's at any time for now and preferably they'd be kept at least 10F warmer than that at the coldest point of their day. Water with room temp water, even if it's collected rain water.  Try to be very careful not to [/SIZE]over-water[SIZE=10.5pt]. People who aren't experienced growing peppers almost always over-water. It just flat-out seems like they need more water than they do and it can really hurt them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I hope this helps.  Maybe you want to go a different direction and that's cool.  I'm happy to answer questions and there's obviously lots of other who will too.[/SIZE]

CaneDog said:

[SIZE=10.5pt]I think they're getting too cold and the roots are getting too much water and not enough oxygen and warmth.  If you still have seeds, I would start new seeds because new, happy growing seedlings will probably overtake those quickly, with less hassle, and with less risk of ongoing issues.  Seeds that start out unhealthy are often poorer performers no matter what you do later and sometimes will fail to thrive at all.  These may already have root rot or other significant issues.[/SIZE]

For $10 at home depot you can get these.
[SIZE=10.5pt]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Seed-Starting-8-qt-Potting-Soil-Mix-74978500/204502223[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-8-qt-Perlite-74278430/204502291[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I recommend using a ratio of 75% seedling mix with 25% perlite for new seeds and I'd transplant existing sprouts into the same. Before you fill a cup, premoisten to where the mix just barely or doesn't quite hold together when squeezed in your hand.  [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]I'd keep them warmer and drier and bring them back inside to a sunny window.  You don't want them getting below the upper 50's at any time for now and preferably they'd be kept at least 10F warmer than that at the coldest point of their day. Water with room temp water, even if it's collected rain water.  Try to be very careful not to [/SIZE]over-water[SIZE=10.5pt]. People who aren't experienced growing peppers almost always over-water. It just flat-out seems like they need more water than they do and it can really hurt them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I hope this helps.  Maybe you want to go a different direction and that's cool.  I'm happy to answer questions and there's obviously lots of other who will too.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the advice. I think my problem has been fixed, though. After putting the cups in direct sunlight, and maybe with the rain easing up a little bit, all the plants seem to be doing better and are growing.

I'll take some more pics saturday, to compare the growth from the week prior.

Just have to start planning on getting enough buckets + medium for when the babies get bigger.

Back