• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Onions and garlic

Planted a kitchen onion early in the season, and it grew out to 3 onions nicely. We also planted a kitchen garlic clove which looks nice, but not sure when to harvest it.

We thought about planting onions and garlic in the fall after the garden was clear of summer vegetables. What's a good strong flavored garlic and onion variety? Our winters here in VA are relatively mild (compared to northern VT, where we came from). Any suggestions?

I don't know about garlic, but I sure do like the
White 1015Y Texas Sweet Onions ("Contessa")​

Just harvested 22 pounds of Alisa Craig onions I grew from seed this year. Took some for fresh eating for a couple dinners. The rest? I caramelized them, used some (like in place of tomato sauce on pizza - yum!) then froze the rest.

Good way to use up onions if you have a lot. My purple are going to turn into cases of jars of pickled onions later this week. Woohoo!!

I grown red Candy Onions that I bought from seed - They grew very fast as a matter od fact you could start them in early spring and have onions by June - July - you can always buy the onion sets and garlic sets to start off -

hmmm...just read something interesting and that is the Vidalia onion originally came from Texas and was called a Granex

I thought 1015 was the plant date for the onions...either way it's cool...

I think there are 2 stories, one for date and one for the road.

Look on google maps for 1015 in Weslaco......lots of onions grown there.

As far as the garlic, plant in the fall before the ground freezes. Onions and Garlic don't really much care about the cold so they will just go dormant in the winter. As soon as the ground melts enough around the cloves they will start to grow. You can plant them in the spring but every year I've planted in the fall the harvest the following year is much greater.

Back