• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Only 100 People in the world can eat Carolina Reapers?

RobStar said:
The red BrnStrn I've tasted were absolutely amazing - although end of season they can become bitter (start of the cold rain season so it can be expected).

That has an affect on pepper flavor?!

filmost, it seems like almost everything can influence flavor.  Container vs. in ground, humidity, soil, rain, volume of rain, time of season, and even location of pod on plant.  That last one threw me for a loop.  Evidently the heat in a pepper changes from where on the plant it is harvested.  No clue why.

ajdrew said:
filmost, it seems like almost everything can influence flavor.  Container vs. in ground, humidity, soil, rain, volume of rain, time of season, and even location of pod on plant.  That last one threw me for a loop.  Evidently the heat in a pepper changes from where on the plant it is harvested.  No clue why.
I believe the two main reasons are.. On a lower branch they generally get less midday sun exposure but more morning and afternoon... The other reason comes to a plants internal survival mechanism that puts more nutrients etc into particular areas for maximum output, so pods sitting on these primary sections will get different feeding patterns ..

And I'm sure there are many other reasons too.. All I know is that if you want to manually cross pods, select lower flowers, there more likely to survive and produce a better output pod.. So I read, I seem to agree based on my results so far.. Bigger healthier fuller pods. Less aborted flowers

Kraken, it is refreshing to read someone else who does not think DNA is everything.  Not disrespecting seedmen and breeders.  They are at least half the story.  But it seems like the recent pepper fad has created a segment of growers who don't recognize their roll in production. It is the same for organic food.  I can not tell you the volume of the heirloom water melon I have eaten that just taste like water.  The yellows are notorious for this.

Thinking the mass market vegetable strains have been bred in part to put more on the DNA so gardeners wont screw them up.  No real mass market for the super hots, so thinking a lot of the flavor rests with the growing conditions.

Commonwealth said:
"battery acid" sounds like an awful taste. Fermented battery acid, maybe less so.
I wish I could remember its formal name.  There is a pickled lime from somewhere in the Middle East which 99% of the people I have shared it with thought it was a practical joke.  I love the stuff.  Not hot like peppers, but hot like acid... While in Germany, my drinking crowd called it just that: "fermented battery acid".  Tastes great going down.  Coming back up, not so good even when soaked in German bier.

BTW: Love the name.  Not convinced there is a difference between a commonwealth and a state, but still like living in one and thinking there is a difference.

Commonwealth, I think what you are observing is the homogenization of the states via funding tricks.  Example: The union can not tell the states what the legal drinking age is.  So the union collects taxes and then offers them back as highway money if they raise the drinking age to 21, effectively blackmailing the states with money raised from citizens of the many states.  Leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I think the more local a law is made, the better that law reflects the immediate community. But what ya gonna do?

My solution, take to the hills, leave the rest of the world alone, and hope the rest of the world leaves me alone.

I think the whole 100 thing is just sales hype, I for one quit trying to eat whole pods a few years back,  although I have a large 2lb. container full of a super hot blend that I use almost on a daily basis , As for slowing down the growth of some tumers I just went through my own battle for the second time and I have eaten hot peppers pretty much since I was10 till now at 63.
I have not had a chance to try a piece of a Reaper or some hot reaper powder,  so I can't say how the flavor is or if it is really as hot as Ed says it is or even it it does hold the record at least for now.
I have had my brain boiled and exploded out my butt,  by a narly Moruga pod,  that I just eat a large 1/4 of the pod that encluded some seeds and placenta.  Pepper varieties can have some very mind blowing hot pods and growing conditions can and will make or break a pod and while one pod on the same plant may not be very hot the one right next to it might kick your brain into warp speed and shoot you into a Black hole.
Last season I had a few extra red brains,  so I put them in two groups three of the plants were potted up with the best soil mix I could find and I placed them where they would get full sun untill the hottest part of the day and got some shade during that time. The others where planted in pots filled with cheap top soil and put in a spot that got no shade and every other day I would strip and crumple the leaves on most of the stems, I also split some of the stems and one plant I tipped the plant over and and put a 2x4 on it to holed the plant down so that the stems would grow upwards.  Near the end of the season I sampled pods from all the plants, group one that was pampered and given water when they looked a bit dry had the biggest pods that had good pheno shaped pods, The pods that I  sampled from were hot to mind blowing and had a great taste,  group two was a completely different story the pods were smaller with more seeds and where oilier and had a very strong smell that was almost chemical. The Burn was something that I will not want to try again at any point soon.  My mouth and face was like someone poured lava in my mouth and on my face and and I got the hiccups really bad, just as my face melted off leaving just a charcoaled skull. my recovery took twice as long to get over,  compaired to group one.
I plan to do the same with some brown or chocolate moruga's  If I feel well enough to do a garden this year. My little experiment did show me that growing conditions can make a difference in how well a plant can respond to adverce conditions. Sorry if my spell is off my spell check is not working.

WOW, you guys are a tough crowd. Sounds like for the most part you're bashing a fellow chile pepper aficionado who bred a great pepper for us to bitch about, I mean for us to grow, cook, and eat with.

I'd be pretty excited if I were able to quit my day job grow peppers and make hot sauce for a living. Heck. I'd probably make the mistake of maybe mis speaking too. God forbid we make a mistake in this day and age of internet bashing folks out there.

We'd all be better off to stick together and not cast judgement on a successful pepper grower I've personally met the guy a couple of times and he sure seems like a nice guy to me.  I can only speak for myself.

We're all in this mess together man. Lets grow  some great peppers this year and don't sweat the small stuff.

I truly am sorry for anyone who has to deal with cancer. Cancer was part of my moms down turn in health which lead to her death and I know how difficult it is watching a loving person fall victim to disease.

"Never underestimate the power of jealousy and the power of envy to destroy. Never underestimate that."

Feel the burn 

Ed used to be a part of this forum.  He had some real problems with a former marketing partner, who's name I will not mention, but the guy was in women's clothing for 30yrs.  Those problems prompted him to not be around here much at the time.  He started coming back periodically, but found threads like this one to be too much negativity for him to bear.  I know for certain that he has seen this thread and has commented on it somewhere as the reason he does not frequent THP anymore.  Darn shame really.  No matter what you think of the hype, the people he has associated with in the past, or his motivations, he would be a real asset to our forum.  People probably could have gotten a lot of questions answered if it had been gone about in a different manner.  I really hate to have to apologize for the attitudes or behavior of a few that give our site a bad name elsewhere in the pepper community.

JayT
No sweat bro. I was just talking with Ed at the NYC Hot sauce show on Saturday and I guess I was feeling a little sensitive with my last post because of shootin'' the breeze with the Ed man.

I realize everyone has an off day and Anyone can get under another's skin at sometime or another, I know I've been married for 25 years!

Kidding aside, THP community has provided me with a wealth of good advise and the site is a tremendous asset to the gardening/pepper community. I've learned so much from you guys.

JayT said:
 but the guy was in women's clothing for 30yrs.  
Ya he was!
tranny.jpg

Vallyman, what is worst is that according to Ed, he was being misquoted in the first post. I don't know exactly where in print the quote came from, but from what I gather he was saying something like, there may only be 100 who eat reapers like he does, and they shouldn't try. Apparently he can pop three of them in his mouth, and eat multiple whole ones every day. I didn't get to see what he said exactly, but that sounds like the gist. If that is the case, I can see where there might only be 100 that do that kind of thing on a regular basis. I had mentioned in another forum that I could say something here, and he said no, there was no need to say anything, but he seems like a decent person, so I felt compelled to say something, especially because I felt bad making a comment here based on a quote that was apparently incorrect. Tom

Hi Cycadjungle

Yeah, I apologize for being self righteous.

Good luck to all who would consume that amount of pain on a regular basis.

May the higher power give those 100 people some common sense!

Valleyman said:
WOW, you guys are a tough crowd. Sounds like for the most part you're bashing a fellow chile pepper aficionado who bred a great pepper for us to bitch about, I mean for us to grow, cook, and eat with.

I'd be pretty excited if I were able to quit my day job grow peppers and make hot sauce for a living. Heck. I'd probably make the mistake of maybe mis speaking too. God forbid we make a mistake in this day and age of internet bashing folks out there.

We'd all be better off to stick together and not cast judgement on a successful pepper grower I've personally met the guy a couple of times and he sure seems like a nice guy to me.  I can only speak for myself.

We're all in this mess together man. Lets grow  some great peppers this year and don't sweat the small stuff.

I truly am sorry for anyone who has to deal with cancer. Cancer was part of my moms down turn in health which lead to her death and I know how difficult it is watching a loving person fall victim to disease.

"Never underestimate the power of jealousy and the power of envy to destroy. Never underestimate that."

Feel the burn 

My opinion (and it's obviously nothing more than that!) of Ed has nothing to do with 'jealousy.'  Heck, I don't care about super-hots enough to be 'jelly' in the first place. (Perhaps you are projecting your own onto others?  ;) )

After watching this video - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53996-hp56-death-strain/
and some of his own Youtube material, my knee-jerk reaction is....  that he's an ass.

What bugs me the most is the outright glee he derives from watching others eat his superhots.  As a grower, the novelty must have work off years ago, but he never seems to tire...  There's an emotional reward he's getting, either ego validation, perhaps even a dash of low level sadism, or a mix.  In any event, I feel more than a little uncomfortable watching this guy in action.

JayT said: "I know for certain that he has seen this thread and has commented on it somewhere as the reason he does not frequent THP anymore."

Uh guy, Mr. Currie's last post on THP as himself was June of 2014 - http://thehotpepper.com/user/7232-smokined/
This post was started seven days ago.  Thinking that statement as written is bunk unless the man has a time machine.

If you mean because of conversations LIKE this one, I know exactly how he feels.  I was hear not a weak before someone jumped my shit.  Then Grant gave me good advise, grow some thick skin.  I think you should pass that on to Mr. Currie because I have met some truly WONDERFUL people from around the world here on THP. 

Yes, folk express their opinions.  But it is not like people here twiddle their handlebar mustaches with an evil grin while they contemplate strapping some poor virgin to a rail road track or saw mill table.  OK sometimes but my wife has a designated safe word.

cycadjungle said:
Vallyman, what is worst is that according to Ed, he was being misquoted in the first post.
I made the first post in this thread and I made it CLEAR that I was quoting Brooklyn Paper by providing a link to the article.  So if Mr. Currie said I misquoted him, the statement is rather misleading as it was very clear I was not claiming to be reporting a first person experience.

cycadjungle said:
 I don't know exactly where in print the quote came from
Uh guy, the link to the quote from the Brooklyn Paper is in the first post.  So uh ye, you did not read it did you?  You just came to the second page, indicated I misquoted Mr. Currie in my first post, and did not bother to read the original post.  That was not very nice.  Both you and Mr. Currie should note that I provided the source and change the way you say this to the Brooklyn Paper misquoted him.

Here it is again: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/17/24-hot-peppers-hot-sauce-expo-2015-04-27-bk.html

Here is the thing.  Mr. Currie is probably right that the article misquoted him.  Seriously, have been trying to make sense of this and can not.  Interviews and other references about Mr. Currie and in particular the Carolina Reaper constantly contradict each other.  Obviously for some reason, reporters and other references misquote Mr. Currie a great deal.

And in other news, the parents of the Carolina Reaper have changed again in the media. According to the Christian Science Monitor, now the Carolina Reaper was created by crossing a habanaro with an Indian pepper.  Source - http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/The-Home-Forum/2015/0429/Plant-a-peck-of-powerful-peppers

Not accusing anyone of a damn thing.  Just observing that if the pepper being spoken about is the Carolina Reaper it seems almost anything you read in the media can likely be contradicted in other media sources.

Back