• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Oops! Dropped a green one!

I was moving my pepper plants around and it seems like I knocked off a green pepper. They've been sitting there green for more than a week now, I've been dying for them to turn color, but they haven't yet and this one just popped off! Oh noes.

I hear sometimes they are hotter when green before they ripe, but probably the taste isn't there? Is there any way I can ripen it? Or should I just use it to spice up some things and wait for the others? 

I was able to ripen some green pods at the end of last season just by letting them sit around in my cellar for a week or two. However, those were pods that had been on the plant for about a month.

It probably depends on the variety, but I wouldn't have much hope for a pod that's only a week old... besides just eating it the way it is.

The taste will likely be a little more on the bitter side compared to ripened pods.

JRZ said:

The taste will likely be a little more on the bitter side compared to ripened pods.

Bitter, but I am guessing nice and hot! Will give it a try tomorrow, don't want to bite into a nice and spicy right before bed!

Back