• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

GA Growhead said:
Sweet! First harvest! :party:
Thanks man, now we are in business!

Pulpiteer said:
Nice harvest! Once again I should mention, it's so cool to have you back on the website and growing.
Thanks Andy, couldn't have done it without ya'll!

Capsicum Select said:

Nice little harvest!  I can't wait for mine to get to that point.  I am eagerly awaiting that Assam review!
They just get bigger from here.  Sadly, I am gonna postpone the Assam review because I am expecting a box in at some point over the next day or 2.  I want to be fresh for them, and I should be doing a series of reviews on those.

Devv said:
Nice harvest!

I saw that video at work yesterday:) I say everyday is hump day!

And thanks to those who responded to how they store seeds!
lol, my wife loves it.  She plays it like 5 times in a row! lol.

Ok Folks, episode 2 of Matt's Chats is up.  Take a look.  This is in no way meant to be taken as the only way to do business, just my take on it. 
http://youtu.be/uIGOT9FvVOg

Whats up, took a few photos tonight.  I was hoping to be doing a pod review tonight, but the USPS had other plans.  A member here sent over a pkg for some reviews and tracking the parcel shows it out for delivery since 9 this morning....I called and they told me to call back tomorrow morning to talk to the driver.  Not thrilled cuz I was pumped for it.  Oh well, I guess I will just drink instead...

Got a couple ripe douglahs.  I am gonna have to harvest some pods tomorrow, got a bunch of stuff that is turning color....AWWWW...WOE IS ME! LOL.

Got another yellow 7 that is about ready, and a few others that are showing some color.  This one was one of the first few pods to set so it still hasn't settled into the proper shape.

REALLLY excited about this pod.  TSMB Yellow.  This thing is a monster, it is just....DAYYYUM.

And tonight I decided to work with my lightbox for a while and try to use some of the LIMITED tools in iPhoto for post production.  I am just starting to really see the difference a few minutes of adjusting color, contrast, brightness, white balance, etc. can do for ya!

And this is how you can tell you have a great boss....

They are all tasting size (so 100ml) which is about 2 glasses for me.  I am a huge fan of Glenmorangie, and I have just recently started to go through the different Scotch Whiskey offerings.  This is great cuz I can try 3 variations that I haven't tried before!

:CHEERS:

Devv said:
LOL...welcome to my world :party:

It is definitely great! 

I found this last night while skimming the weed forums.  I have had some issues with the SS #4, a bit of stunted growth, some nutrient issues, etc.  After reading through this board I think my problem is ph.  I didn't add any dolimite lime, and when going with a soil less media, you need the buffer that the DM provides.  Also, there is cal/mg in it, and I have noticed a bit of a deficiency.  I am taking leave for 2 weeks starting next friday, and I will probably pot up into a mix that is properly built.  I have been heavily considering going back to promix, but every grow store that I talk to says the SS is a far superior media.  I still have a few months of summer so I will continue to use it and see what happens.  The link also has feeding recommendations without any really crazy ingredients. 

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

I'd be a little careful of adding Dolomitic Lime to your soilless mix Matt... I added some to my ProMix this winter and killed one of my Douglahs and one of my Maya Red Habs... I only raised the pH in the mix to 7.6 but it was enough to kick all of my Chinense plants into chlorosis in addition to killing those two. Weed isn't as fussy about pH as peppers are...

Everything's looking great! Glad to see color on your pods, and your lightbox experiments progressing. I'm still a little behind this weekend, but I'll be checking out your reviews when I get a bit more caught up. Cheers guy!

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. You guys are all far more knowledgeable than I. This is my second season growing from seed, and I have always added dolomitic lime to my soil less mix. You can look at my videos and pics to judge for yourself. That way you can decide if it's something you want to use. Hope this isn't taken the wrong way. I in no way think I'm in a position to be giving growing advice, only posting what my experience has been.

Tim

peppernovice said:
   I don't want to step on anyone's toes. You guys are all far more knowledgeable than I. This is my second season growing from seed, and I have always added dolomitic lime to my soil less mix. You can look at my videos and pics to judge for yourself. That way you can decide if it's something you want to use. Hope this isn't taken the wrong way. I in no way think I'm in a position to be giving growing advice, only posting what my experience has been.

Tim
No offense taken Tim, I'm just saying actually check the pH after adding Dolomitic Lime to make sure it's within tolerances before giving it to your plants because a little goes a long way.

stickman said:
I'd be a little careful of adding Dolomitic Lime to your soilless mix Matt... I added some to my ProMix this winter and killed one of my Douglahs and one of my Maya Red Habs... I only raised the pH in the mix to 7.6 but it was enough to kick all of my Chinense plants into chlorosis in addition to killing those two. Weed isn't as fussy about pH as peppers are...

Everything's looking great! Glad to see color on your pods, and your lightbox experiments progressing. I'm still a little behind this weekend, but I'll be checking out your reviews when I get a bit more caught up. Cheers guy!
Thanks Rick, I didn't add any to what I have now and haven't seen the growth that I have expected.  I still have a few months of warm weather and I think I will go full strength for a couple pots and half for the others to see how everything reacts. 

peppernovice said:

Tim
No toes stepped on, especially in my thread.  Everyone has their own experiences and we can all put them together for the collective here.  Your plants look great so you are obviously doing something right!

ahhhh...nice Scotch taster!
so peppers first.....the 7 Pot Yellow, for some reason I always love that shape.
Tonights video viewing was with beer and pizza, Black Shiner, Classic marinara ,basil,tomato, with Buffalo Moz cheese.Had little a 10 day old Red 7, and it was weakening, but I thought I was all bad ass ,snatched the Brown(I was"saving"....uh huh, me thinks that was really just my subconscious inner chicken shit at work),unfortunately for me it was still crispy in comparison...so, one good bite(okay only a third of it...)so I was bawling my eyes out , and dehydrating swiftly from fluid loss while you were calmly relaying how comparatively mild the PBScorp was.Damn it, and after 10 days of getting chips with every other meal(Houston is chips with your beer and food capital of every where!)-its no joke!

The Lasanta is REALLY good, I drug a bottle of that and an Johnny Walker Gold Route back with me going through Frankfurt enroute home.Both damn good.
Of course its cool to carry on the plane in europe in DF bag, but in Houston going to New Orleans , the TSA idiots sh$t the bed, so I had to get it checked. So United loses all my luggage and gear(between Houston and NO?????) BUT , at least the first box outta the chute was the checked whiskey!!!!

Ill be back later for responses, gotta go to Mass.  But I wanted to get this up before hand.

So a big thanks to Vincent (Coheed196) for hooking it up with a box full of great pods to review.  After some drama with the post office, they got here in great shape.  I am going to do my best to go through as many as I can before they go soft.  

First up is the Sepia Serpent.  I really wanted to do the UBSC, but the Sepia is a thin-skinned pod and would go over quicker than any other pod in the box.  

The sepia impressed me with flavor, but didn't have the heat.  I tried the Douglah X Trinidad Scorpion S1 strain from Silver_Surfer last season and it had the great taste, but had some more heat.  

Slow build, and it lasted for about 3 minutes and then dropped off a bit.  The heat concentrated on the tongue and side of the mouth, but after it filtered through the normal chew, swallow, burn, it died down and left a dull burn.  

The good news is a got a boatload of pods that are sure to light me up good!

Damn brotha! Harvesting pods already eh!!!! I haven't harvested a superhot yet this season. And I started in January. I kinda babied em and was a little scared to bring em out in the sun. But dang man you got it going on brotha! Let me know if you need some more pods to review. I have a couple that you aren't growing this year. Just let me know brotha! I gotta get caught up on your vids. Always interesting, and I must say you are very well spoken! Fun to watch and kill some time. But the time things is what I need if you know what I mean.

Ill be back this evening to respond to the comments, but until then....

Watch in HD!

Thank God I came to the table with my man pants on, cuz this one took me for a nice ride.  After 2 straight pods that were kind of a let down in the heat department, I was really hoping to get kicked in the nuts (not for real...that would suck).  This one didn't disappoint.  

From the second that I cut this badboy open, I knew it was gonna be hot.  I could see the drops of oil on the placental walls.  

On Heat.  The heat was definitely up there.  It wasn't the hottest I have had, but it was in that wheelhouse.  It is the first of the season to really hit me that way, and it hit me HARD.  It was a builder, so I was waiting for it to hit me nice and hard, but before I knew it I was like....whoa, WHERE did that come from??

On Taste.  This thing has a nice, mildly citrusy taste.  You can detect the brain strain in there, but I don't have a guess as to the other pod.  Would go great in a sauce, powder, or fresh cooked.  

I received this, so I can't give a thorough assessment on the vigor and production, but everything that i have seen shows that it is a great producer.  It is still a hybrid, so I cant give a solid T1 on it.  

Heat: T1
Flavor: T2
Production: T2
Vigor: T2

I warned ya it was hot haha. From what I was told by SS is that he got seeds from BigCedar, so I'm guessing he was the original grower. That's all I know about its background. I forgot what I sent you so can't comment on what to try next. Did I not send you a Billy Boy Jonah?

peppernovice said:
   I only add about a tablespoon to my 5 gallon pots. I add a little more if the pot is bigger.

Tim
What I have read is about a tsp per gallon of soil, or a cup per cu ft.  I think I will probably go with that, or a little less.  I was out there today after my review and noticed that everything in those pots were looking way better.  I think that they settled and this rain we have been getting has put them into overdrive.  They aren't quite as big as the starts that I put in the ground but there are a few that are on par with them.  

gnslngr said:
ahhhh...nice Scotch taster!
so peppers first.....the 7 Pot Yellow, for some reason I always love that shape.
Tonights video viewing was with beer and pizza, Black Shiner, Classic marinara ,basil,tomato, with Buffalo Moz cheese.Had little a 10 day old Red 7, and it was weakening, but I thought I was all bad ass ,snatched the Brown(I was"saving"....uh huh, me thinks that was really just my subconscious inner chicken shit at work),unfortunately for me it was still crispy in comparison...so, one good bite(okay only a third of it...)so I was bawling my eyes out , and dehydrating swiftly from fluid loss while you were calmly relaying how comparatively mild the PBScorp was.Damn it, and after 10 days of getting chips with every other meal(Houston is chips with your beer and food capital of every where!)-its no joke!

The Lasanta is REALLY good, I drug a bottle of that and an Johnny Walker Gold Route back with me going through Frankfurt enroute home.Both damn good.
Of course its cool to carry on the plane in europe in DF bag, but in Houston going to New Orleans , the TSA idiots sh$t the bed, so I had to get it checked. So United loses all my luggage and gear(between Houston and NO?????) BUT , at least the first box outta the chute was the checked whiskey!!!!
Well based on your response you inspired me to eat some pizza tonight, and I am about to take my first swig of the Lasanta.  Wait one. Ooooh, I really like that one.  It is very mellow, smooth, deep.  It reminds me of a nice and warm caramel.  It is smoother than the Quinta Ruben which is what I tried on Friday, and it is amazing how aging them in different casks can impart such a different flavor.
stc3248 said:
Nice review! Don't worry...that UBSC will make up for it in the heat department I bet! Ready to see your next harvest too brotha...
It did...lol....

Jamison said:
Damn brotha! Harvesting pods already eh!!!! I haven't harvested a superhot yet this season. And I started in January. I kinda babied em and was a little scared to bring em out in the sun. But dang man you got it going on brotha! Let me know if you need some more pods to review. I have a couple that you aren't growing this year. Just let me know brotha! I gotta get caught up on your vids. Always interesting, and I must say you are very well spoken! Fun to watch and kill some time. But the time things is what I need if you know what I mean.
I am actually behind right now.  I need to get out there and harvest some pods, but I was busy all day licking my freaking wounds.  I will hit you up a bit later in the season and see what I haven't reviewed.  I am always down for some pain! lol.

coheed196 said:
I warned ya it was hot haha. From what I was told by SS is that he got seeds from BigCedar, so I'm guessing he was the original grower. That's all I know about its background. I forgot what I sent you so can't comment on what to try next. Did I not send you a Billy Boy Jonah?
Cool, that is what I thought but I wasn't sure.  No BB Jonah, but there are a few others that are face melters in there as well.  I have my eyes set on the SB7J, haven't tried that and it is something that I have been wanting to try for a while.  After that ill take a look at what looks fresh, what is on the downslope, and then determine what is the best approach. There are a few others that weren't marked and Ill shoot a photo over to you for confirmation on those.

Thanks all for sticking with me, been busy and I wish I could spend more time answering responses as they come, but the kiddo is really in supercharge mode. 

Oh...who was asking about NY Style pizza...

JAMIE!  I am getting the notifications from your "likes".....WE MISSED YOU!!!! You got a WHOLE LOT OF UPDATING TO DO.....

I sent Annie a SB7J and she said

And fortunately, I had eaten and didn't trust it so downed some Maalox. . .  and tried half of it. JAZUZ that thing is hot! Tastes more 7 than SB.
Damn, that pepper has great heat and might mix what you sent with some BG7 in a ferment, but uh, DAY-um! For a supposedly non-super, it rivaled the first brain I had that turned. Anyhow, thanks Vincent; looking for a tad milder for now! Great pepper!

coheed196 said:
I sent Annie a SB7J and she said

And fortunately, I had eaten and didn't trust it so downed some Maalox. . .  and tried half of it. JAZUZ that thing is hot! Tastes more 7 than SB.
Damn, that pepper has great heat and might mix what you sent with some BG7 in a ferment, but uh, DAY-um! For a supposedly non-super, it rivaled the first brain I had that turned. Anyhow, thanks Vincent; looking for a tad milder for now! Great pepper!

Good to know.  I guess I will find out soon enough! lol...

BrooklynXpat said:
Wicked box of pods you got and especially great reviews - been following and cant wait to see the rest.

That would be me - yummo :)
Thanks man!  Shoot me your address in a PM, I got some stuff turning color with your name on it.

Back