• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Awesome little blurb on the Naga x Tabasco Matt. I bought these seeds for my current season just cause I love tabascos and thought they'd be cool, but there was no information on them so I had no idea how they would taste. I've got 3 of these plants in the ground and am now super keen to get some pods off them. Hoping mine have that predominant tabasco flavour too! Cheers for bumping up my anticipation levels.. 

Cartz said:
Awesome little blurb on the Naga x Tabasco Matt. I bought these seeds for my current season just cause I love tabascos and thought they'd be cool, but there was no information on them so I had no idea how they would taste. I've got 3 of these plants in the ground and am now super keen to get some pods off them. Hoping mine have that predominant tabasco flavour too! Cheers for bumping up my anticipation levels.. 
Thanks man, it will be great as box fillers or vinegar pepper sauce.  Maybe even candied or dipped in chocolate.  Little sweet heat!

capsidadburn said:
I'm very impressed with all you have going on Matt. The BA looming 9 credits away has got to be very cool. Beautiful images and pods, wow 50 crosses! Nice beer in that image!

Ooh Rah!
Yea, I am gonna try and CLEP the two English shirts, and then the last one is just a thesis class....JUST..LOL!

And Shiner is my go-to beer.  I love it, and it goes with everything!  Best part is I can swap with a single malt when it gets dark out and no lingering beer taste.

MGOLD86 said:
Yea, I have fun tasting them and getting a read, but what I really love to do is collect them.  I love searching out the craziest varieties and then growing them and sharing with everyone.  I have to have almost 50 crosses now, and I am gonna try VERY hard to grow every one out next season.  I am gonna still grow out a ton of normal varieties, but I look at each cross like an adventure!
I feel ya on this. I have a hard time not saving seeds from anything I get my hands on just to see if I can grow it now. My gf steers me away from the pepper section in the grocery store and has caught me trying to sneek ornamentals into the shopping cart.

Glad to see you back for a bit, even though I'm a little sad there will be no more reviews this season haha. It has been a wonderful ride getting to experience all those pods through you! Can't wait for next season already! Hope you continue on Matt's Chats if/when you get the time.

I've only ever heard stellar reviews on the manzanos and those black seeds are super cool. You have some awesome variety at your disposal for powders and sauces.

Congrats on the new Glock too! That would be exactly the pistol I would get if I ever got around to getting my pistol permit. Out of all of the ones I have used in target practice it is one of my favorites.

Nice haul there Matt!

AND you're drinking my favorite beer...they brew them about 1.5 hours from here. What got me drinking them was a trip to SC where Dad had Yuengling's. I think the Shiner is better. Funny whenever we do the yearly family reunion, they all buy Yuengling and I buy Shiner, then they drink all my Shiner's...LOL

Congrats on being so close to a degree, I wish I had gotten one...but went to the school of hard-knocks instead.

Have a great week!

Capsicum Select said:
I feel ya on this. I have a hard time not saving seeds from anything I get my hands on just to see if I can grow it now. My gf steers me away from the pepper section in the grocery store and has caught me trying to sneek ornamentals into the shopping cart.

Glad to see you back for a bit, even though I'm a little sad there will be no more reviews this season haha. It has been a wonderful ride getting to experience all those pods through you! Can't wait for next season already! Hope you continue on Matt's Chats if/when you get the time.

I've only ever heard stellar reviews on the manzanos and those black seeds are super cool. You have some awesome variety at your disposal for powders and sauces.

Congrats on the new Glock too! That would be exactly the pistol I would get if I ever got around to getting my pistol permit. Out of all of the ones I have used in target practice it is one of my favorites.
It really hit me tonight....going bigger next year is gonna be nuts! Just figuring out what to do with my Sunday harvests with about 45 or so producing plants is hard enough, what is gonna happen when that is tripled!  I send out a good amount of freebie pkgs with every harvest, but there is no way I can pack all those pods into enough boxes without going broke or going to the post office with 20 boxes each week! 

Just go get your permit, then you can just wait until you find the one you want and grab it!

Devv said:
Nice haul there Matt!

AND you're drinking my favorite beer...they brew them about 1.5 hours from here. What got me drinking them was a trip to SC where Dad had Yuengling's. I think the Shiner is better. Funny whenever we do the yearly family reunion, they all buy Yuengling and I buy Shiner, then they drink all my Shiner's...LOL

Congrats on being so close to a degree, I wish I had gotten one...but went to the school of hard-knocks instead.

Have a great week!
LOL!  I am from central Florida, and the Yengling brewery is about an hour from me in Tampa.  I never tried Shiner until about 2 years ago, but now it is almost my exclusive session beer.  I like to switch it up for onsies and twosies, but nothin beats a Shiner after a few hours of yard work and pepper picking.

Well like I mentioned above, I have no idea what I am gonna do with all these freakin peppers!  I have the dehydrator workin 24/7, I am planning on doing some ferments and sauces once the season is over, and I STILL have about 10 gallons of peppers from last season! Next season is gonna be crazy and I really have no idea what's gonna happen.  I guess there can be worse problems!

Tonight I just said Eff it, ill wash and split but seeds are staying in.  It took me about 45 minutes to go through these and bag them, if i would have seeded them it would have easily gone an hour or 2.

Thanks for stoppin in!

45 minutes, without seeding, for that amount? OK you can come over to drink beer and talk but I don't need someone slowing down my processing. :rofl:
I have had to develop a system to get through it quicker. Today when I get up I have to make a batch of Piney Hab and then work on processing the remaining 25 pounds from Saturdays harvest. This next weekend I may be working all weekend and then when I harvest I am considering just selling most of it all in MFRB's on here is people want it.

Trade you gardens next year :lol:

Sorry for the tired rambling...just stopped in to say awesome looking garden this year. Glad you aren't going crazy without one.

Capsicum Select said:

I presume you are talking about a permit to buy and not a permit to carry. Crazy how something like that got into law. I feel for you but I agree with Matt. Just get the permit so that you have it and then it won't be holding you up when it comes time to purchase. I wish I could do that with a class III tax stamp, but I don't think it works that way.

Hi Matt,
   Thanks so much for the SFRB you sent... i wasn't expecting it, so was pretty blown away to find it in the mailbox when I got home from work today, and even more so to see you'd labeled them all except for the Ajis. I'll page back through your glog to ID them. Thanks Matt... you rock!
SANY0285_zpseead5a29.jpg

Justaguy said:
45 minutes, without seeding, for that amount? OK you can come over to drink beer and talk but I don't need someone slowing down my processing. :rofl:
I have had to develop a system to get through it quicker. Today when I get up I have to make a batch of Piney Hab and then work on processing the remaining 25 pounds from Saturdays harvest. This next weekend I may be working all weekend and then when I harvest I am considering just selling most of it all in MFRB's on here is people want it.

Trade you gardens next year :lol:

Sorry for the tired rambling...just stopped in to say awesome looking garden this year. Glad you aren't going crazy without one.
Damn!  I thought I was bookin it...I guess I need to get on your program! I usually wash the pods in the sink all at once, separate, cut them all open, and then seed and bag or just bag.  HELP ME! LOL.

Jeff H said:
I presume you are talking about a permit to buy and not a permit to carry. Crazy how something like that got into law. I feel for you but I agree with Matt. Just get the permit so that you have it and then it won't be holding you up when it comes time to purchase. I wish I could do that with a class III tax stamp, but I don't think it works that way.
Yea, I dont have a CCW yet, just keep a few purchase permits on tap.  Havin a Class 3 in my pocket would be pretty awesome tho!

Devv said:
Nice haul Matt! AND a lot of work to process them too.
Yea man, takes FOREVER! But it will be pretty worth it in the end.

stickman said:
Hi Matt,
   Thanks so much for the SFRB you sent... i wasn't expecting it, so was pretty blown away to find it in the mailbox when I got home from work today, and even more so to see you'd labeled them all except for the Ajis. I'll page back through your glog to ID them. Thanks Matt... you rock!

No problem Rick! I am glad you like it.  The yellows are lemon drops.  Now you can compare the Kitchen Sinks!

Jeff H said:
Personally I wouldn't carry as I don't find it necessary for the area I live or my work. But in CT when you get your pistol permit it includes concealed carry. Kind of bizarre in my opinion.

MGOLD86 said:
It really hit me tonight....going bigger next year is gonna be nuts! Just figuring out what to do with my Sunday harvests with about 45 or so producing plants is hard enough, what is gonna happen when that is tripled! I send out a good amount of freebie pkgs with every harvest, but there is no way I can pack all those pods into enough boxes without going broke or going to the post office with 20 boxes each week!

Just go get your permit, then you can just wait until you find the one you want and grab it!
I think I will once I am done with school and have some extra cash. It the paperwork really isn't all that bad its just the takes a while sometimes.

That is just awesome how much you are harvesting! You seriously would be at the post office all the time when that is tripled haha! You will have to start selling MFRBs. That is a ton of work to process all that but very rewarding in the end. Happy that you are having such a great season. Always good to see some good yields. I am afraid the frost will be here before most of my bhuts ripen but some have which is good enough for me! Maybe I will make a "Green Bhut" Sauce with the unripe ones tomatillos and some other stuff.

MGOLD86 said:

Yea, I dont have a CCW yet, just keep a few purchase permits on tap.  Havin a Class 3 in my pocket would be pretty awesome tho!

Holy hell, I was just poking at CT needing a permit to buy. I had no idea that NC required one too. My condolences. I've since looked it up and I see that your state ranks fairly high on 'the list' http://bradycampaign.org/sites/default/files/2011%20Final%20state%20scoresA3-2%20Sheet1.pdf

Here is a friendly reference for you. http://handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Capsicum Select said:
Personally I wouldn't carry as I don't find it necessary for the area I live or my work. But in CT when you get your pistol permit it includes concealed carry. Kind of bizarre in my opinion.

Yeah, I've had a carry permit for several years and I don't carry much at all. I don't find it necessary most of the time. 

Tejas arms laws are pretty liberal. I can go to a gun show and buy after they call it in for the Fed check. Really have no desire to carry one, except when we travel, and I make sure I check the state laws prior to making the trip.

Now to change the topic back to peppers!

773.jpg

Matt, Thanks! If you notice a couple are missing, broke my coworkers in on a SMFI Red Hab, and then we moved to the Yellow 7. Both were great! I'm definitely hooked on the Yellow 7, so far my favorite. Fantastic taste and a nice burn that doesn't send you looking for relief but satisfies. I just eat pinky finger nail sized chunks to taste, but was able to just keep eating them, and enjoying the flavor. They were all sitting about three feet from me on my desk and the wonderful smell just kept calling me..

Thanks again!

Justaguy said:
45 minutes, without seeding, for that amount? OK you can come over to drink beer and talk but I don't need someone slowing down my processing. :rofl:I have had to develop a system to get through it quicker. Today when I get up I have to make a batch of Piney Hab and then work on processing the remaining 25 pounds from Saturdays harvest. This next weekend I may be working all weekend and then when I harvest I am considering just selling most of it all in MFRB's on here is people want it.Trade you gardens next year :lol:Sorry for the tired rambling...just stopped in to say awesome looking garden this year. Glad you aren't going crazy without one.
Must be those black gloves. I thought O.J. was helping him for a minute.

Nice harvests and pod shots Matt. What part of N.C. are you in? If you aren't in the mountains you should have a fair amount of gardening left.

Just subscribed to your YouTube channel
"Brown moruga" the part when you said you feel like Jim Carrey was priceless keep the videos coming

I probably wouldn't carry very often, but when I am heading to a place when it would be helpful, I think it is important to have the CCW.

Devv said:
Tejas arms laws are pretty liberal. I can go to a gun show and buy after they call it in for the Fed check. Really have no desire to carry one, except when we travel, and I make sure I check the state laws prior to making the trip.

Now to change the topic back to peppers!

Matt, Thanks! If you notice a couple are missing, broke my coworkers in on a SMFI Red Hab, and then we moved to the Yellow 7. Both were great! I'm definitely hooked on the Yellow 7, so far my favorite. Fantastic taste and a nice burn that doesn't send you looking for relief but satisfies. I just eat pinky finger nail sized chunks to taste, but was able to just keep eating them, and enjoying the flavor. They were all sitting about three feet from me on my desk and the wonderful smell just kept calling me..

Thanks again!
Glad ya liked everything Scott, I always end up picking too many....lol!

WalkGood said:
Ahoy Matt, great haul mon … have a great pirates day arrr!
Thanks Ramon! 

Many people think the pirate's favorite letter is the ARRRRRR....

It's actually the C.

Pr0digal_son said:
Must be those black gloves. I thought O.J. was helping him for a minute.

Nice harvests and pod shots Matt. What part of N.C. are you in? If you aren't in the mountains you should have a fair amount of gardening left.
I wish I had some gloves that sped things up for me...even if it did come with a killer....

I am on the Eastern coast, so yea, I am hoping to see pods all the way through Halloween.  I was out there this afternoon and there was a ton of color and a ton of pods that are still setting. 

Smitty said:
Just subscribed to your YouTube channel
"Brown moruga" the part when you said you feel like Jim Carrey was priceless keep the videos coming
Thanks smitty!  I probably wont be postin any more reviews for the rest of the season, but will be back next year.  There should be a ton of other reviews for you to laugh through on my channel though, thanks for the sub!

Iight folks, I think I am dying.  Sore throat is back again, super headache, and just dont feel right.  The docs say that I am just getting hit with allergies (which I have NEVER had before), and they are stuffing me up, and draining into my throat.  I would believe them, but one day I feel 100% and the next day (like today) I cant swallow or talk without wincing.  I will probably wake up tomorrow like nothing happened....

Thanks for stoppin in, Ill be around this weekend and hopefully have a decent Sunday harvest and a few boxes to go out on Monday.  Right now I am about to watch WWZ with the wife...she doesn't do scary movies so I talked her into it and turned off the lights and turned the volume up...should be fun!

Hey Matt,

Time for old timers advice...yeah I'm full of it..

I've been on allergy shots 5 times, three times they've taken me off them because of reactions...Been dealing with allergies for 50 years, and if untreated lead to infection.

So here's what works for me. Can't beat Alka-Seltzer Plus for cold. This stuff knocks all the symptoms and FAST!

Also Loratadine 10mg, 2 a day is OK, these were prescribed to me and are OTC Sam's is a good place to buy in volume.

On a bad day I take the AS and 4 hours later the Loratadine. Neo Synephrine is good to break an oncoming sinus headache, leaning more to a supers nowadays ;)

Hope you have a great weekend and try my advice, I was constantly sick until I learned why...

Just got caught up on the last three pages.  Ran out of likes before I got here.  Love the updates.  I think you're wise to take a break from the video reviews.  Capsaicin may be a natural product, but over exposure can still cause problems.  Congrats on the new 23.  I'm on a wheeler kick myself lately, but I can see some more semis in my future.  Here's another vote for black-seeded peppers.  I've got two yellows and four reds I'm planning to OW for an early start next year.  Had some orange, but they didn't make it.

Back