• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Opinion on micro-greenhouse

Hello,

First post, and I gotta say this forum is great. Imagine, talking to people you don't look at you strange when you tell them you're growing 28 different varieties of hot peppers......

A challenging year this with the weather(heat/cold) , but on top of that, my seedlings have been fighting wind, rabbits and toads (oh my)

My solution, and I would solicite your opinions on the pros and cons, is a micro-greenhouse approach. Each seedling has a 8" diameter/high construct made of chicken wire which I wrap (on the ouside) in a thin vinyl material that is translucent. I used cut-up cheap floor runners which worked perfectly becuase they allow me to shimmy the wrap ( it sticks because of the carpet grabbibg nubs on the back) up a couple of inches for more sun protection. I leave an inch or so of chicken wire exposed on the bottom of the greenhouses to better grab into the soil.

Pros: protection from critters, protection from wind (wrap down when plants small), protection from sun (move wrap up blocking more sun). I have this on my tomatoes too, and I'm thinking of keeping it there all season to help fight the soil born deseases such as mosiac, tobacco, etc. I'm hoping the wrap will prevent water from splashing onto the lower leaves

Cons????

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your struggles I'm almost thankful that I don't have those problems although I grow all of my plants on my patio fence in pots which is a hassle in itself.

I think the concept you have going would work, but it may be a little easier to just setup a small greenhouse and put the plants in that.

walk_in_mini_greenhouse.jpg

Back