• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense opinions on jolokia flavor?

i tried bhut jolokia for the first time just a few weeks ago, thanks to a friend in california who sent them to me. the heat was quite intense, but as far as the flavor goes i was a little disappointed. this isnt to say it had a bad flavor, it just wasnt as good as the classic orange habaneros im used to. i also tried devils tongue and red savina about the same time, and was far more impressed with their flavors, which seemed to be more of a tropical fruit type of flavor as compared to the bhut's...ill say..rougher flavor.

just wanted to see what everyone else's opinions/experiences have been with the bhut jolokia. also, i wondered how the bhut compares to naga morich and bih jolokia as well as 7 pod and trinidad scorpion?

at this point, my favorite pepper is still orange habanero but the red savina and caribbean red are close matches.

gardenvato said:
i tried bhut jolokia for the first time just a few weeks ago, thanks to a friend in california who sent them to me. the heat was quite intense, but as far as the flavor goes i was a little disappointed. this isnt to say it had a bad flavor, it just wasnt as good as the classic orange habaneros im used to. i also tried devils tongue and red savina about the same time, and was far more impressed with their flavors, which seemed to be more of a tropical fruit type of flavor as compared to the bhut's...ill say..rougher flavor.

just wanted to see what everyone else's opinions/experiences have been with the bhut jolokia. also, i wondered how the bhut compares to naga morich and bih jolokia as well as 7 pod and trinidad scorpion?

at this point, my favorite pepper is still orange habanero but the red savina and caribbean red are close matches.

I grow them for the heat but I think they have a very strong, almost chemical taste probably due to the high cap levels?

the heat is intense, the burn delayed, you only get to taste the pepper the first few seconds after the first bite...I use them for heat in dishes I make...

if you haven't tried the 7 pot/pod...you need to...flavors much more to my liking and the burn is just as intense although different than the Bhuts...

The flavor is decent to good when you mix them in to something. When their flavor is the dominant one, you only taste the capsaicin/burn.

As with anything it depends on what you're using it for. For Indian cooking, jerk sauce, a fruity hot sauce?? It has it's uses for sure, you just need to experiment.

chillilover said:
I grow them for the heat but I think they have a very strong, almost chemical taste probably due to the high cap levels?

I cannot live without Naga/Bhut flavor in my sauce and pickle.
I cannot live without heady flavor of Bydgi in my home cooking.

NJA

They're not my favorite flavor but not bad, and I've never noticed the "almost chemical taste". Many compare the taste to apricots or green apples

thehotpepper.com said:
As with anything it depends on what you're using it for. For Indian cooking, jerk sauce, a fruity hot sauce?? It has it's uses for sure, you just need to experiment.

i didnt do any cooking with them, only put them into salsa that i normally make with habaneros. because of the fruity taste of habs, the salsa usually turns out having a fruity taste, but using the bhuts, it had a taste that was really unlike anything ive had before, but it was lacking the sweetness of habaneros. i cut the tip off of one just to see how it tasted by itself (not quite ready to eat one whole) and i liked it for the four seconds i could taste it before the burn started, but habanero flavor is still tops by both tests.

at first i thought it may have been just because i had put too many in (3 peppers in a 6 cup bowl of salsa) but i made another with 3 jolokias 1 devils tongue and a red savina, and the flavor was really improved, much sweeter.

i still plan to grow a few plants next year just because i have the seeds, also i think being in a different zone can have an effect on the flavor. but so far im pretty unimpressed with it.

alabamajack, i havent tried 7 pot, but have been thinking about buying seeds for them. the only problem is i already have so many other varieties of seed i dont know if ill have room for another one.

thanks for the replies, everyone. i think ill try some sort of an indian/asian recipe with them and see if i like them any better that way

IMO, The Naga Morich has more flavor than the Bhut. Similar flavor but stronger. Still, it doesn't tend to overpower a recipe.
Habs seem to dominate a dish flavor wise.

gardenvato said:
i didnt do any cooking with them, only put them into salsa that i normally make with habaneros. because of the fruity taste of habs, the salsa usually turns out having a fruity taste, but using the bhuts, it had a taste that was really unlike anything ive had before, but it was lacking the sweetness of habaneros. i cut the tip off of one just to see how it tasted by itself (not quite ready to eat one whole) and i liked it for the four seconds i could taste it before the burn started, but habanero flavor is still tops by both tests.

at first i thought it may have been just because i had put too many in (3 peppers in a 6 cup bowl of salsa) but i made another with 3 jolokias 1 devils tongue and a red savina, and the flavor was really improved, much sweeter.

i still plan to grow a few plants next year just because i have the seeds, also i think being in a different zone can have an effect on the flavor. but so far im pretty unimpressed with it.

alabamajack, i havent tried 7 pot, but have been thinking about buying seeds for them. the only problem is i already have so many other varieties of seed i dont know if ill have room for another one.

thanks for the replies, everyone. i think ill try some sort of an indian/asian recipe with them and see if i like them any better that way

Try them in a curry, stir fry, or Italian dish with red sauce.

Back