• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Opinions- pyrethrin or 10% bleach on surfaces?

Or both?
I cleaned out my greenhouse last time home, this next time home I'm going to be delousing it prior to setting any plants out there. My plans were to fill a 3 gallon sprayer with a 10% bleach solution and douse the greenhouse with it.
Should I use pyrethrin instead, or should I shoot it with each?

Do both if you already have them. Will a 10% bleach solution kill bugs and eggs? Isnt it too cold up there for bugs?

heheh- I wish!
My main pest in the greenhouse has been spiders. I had a pretty decent outbreak last year and the little bastards absolutely decimated my cucumbers. I also had a really weird and so far unexplained mutation that happened to quite a few different peppers. I didn't have any aphids out there last year but they're in the yard. I took every single pot and container out of the greenhouse and took the shop vac out there and cleaned off every surface out there. Before any pot goes back in it gets cleaned out with hot water and 10% bleach, and nothing but new soil and sterilized medium is going back in.
As for the efficacy of the bleach solution versus the pyrethrin- I dunno which would be better against eggs, but yeah, I'll probably end up using both in separate soakings. I know that 10% bleach will kill damn near anything else, figure it'd be worthwhile to use it on account of the weird mutation that happened last year.

Im just curious, did weird mutation look like this:

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

FTB-
Nope, they looked like this-
l_fb243ec481464d9c918ef32dd1cd16fb.jpg

The general consensus was that it came from 2,4-D from Ortho Weed-B-Gone. I'm still not sure that was it, though it definitely looked similar. Whatever it was, I'm definitely disinfecting everything this season be cause I know that whatever funked up those plants can't be cured by pyrethrins.

Back