• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Opinions wanted - favourite non-superhot

Shishito peppers for cooking.

Mako Akokostrade pepper from Africa. This is very good for making powders and for cooking.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

willard3 said:
A chile which doesn't get much attention here is the chilaca/chile negro. They are great in salasa verde,  they make great shooters and, if you ever make mole, they are required in their dried form (pasilla)

chilaca2 by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr
I wanted to grow those this year. I had a helluva time finding seeds, and unlike Guajillos and de Arboles, the seeds in the dried pods I can buy locally are not viable. (I guess they are dried at higher temperatures.) The seeds I did manage score did bit germinate for me, either.

I guess there's always next year.

But, I just wanted to chime in and say that kitchen would be far poorer if not for dry pasillas and Pasilla powder. I was psyched to try these fresh, and make some powder from homegrown pods.

So, yeah, grow some of those, if you can.

I looked at pasilla before deciding on aji panca. I can buy dried pasilla pods locally fairly cheap. Dried panca pods though are expensive online and no local markets have them. I would still like to try them though. Im not really a fan of mole.

Pasilla is just what I am looking for, primarily for my cooking.  Will look locally for dried pods, but I have never seen it in fresh plant/pod form.

I am reading quite a few thumbs up opinion's on the yellow scotch bonnet.  What makes the yellow scotch bonnet so popular for cooking?

Where I live we have what they call a Chumbo.  We buy it in the super market and it is either red or yellow and looks just like a habenero or scotch bonnet.  Both taste pretty much the same in my mouth.  They are both hot.  They grow like heck also and are just super prolific.  You pick the peppers and they just get covered over again.

I am new to hot peppers.  To me, all hot chinense peppers taste pretty much the same.  Sneaky hot plus a fruity taste type of thing.  They are hot enough that I have learned to respect them though.

Hmmmm...only 2 is hard.
If I had to grow only 2 non supers...I love love love lemon drops. Bright citrusy heat. Mild enough to pop raw but can still catch me slipping with the heat on an off day.

The second would probably be a tossup between CGN21500 or Brazilian starfish. Both of those are easy to pop raw.

Jeromin, my favourite variety from last season. Growing it again this year. Great allround pepper, not too hot, excellent producer!
2b1ea0e24aa48056bf576ff9a7939423.jpg

Back