• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Optimum hours of direct sunlight?

Given daytime temps between mid-80s to mid-90s, how many hours of direct is optimum for buhts, scorps, 7-pots? Any difference for annuums...?

Annuums love sun for the most part, Chinese prefer partial shade meaning only a few hours of direct sun per day, I do have 60 or more  Chinese in the ground and they get full sun all day, they seem to do alright but their leaves are much smaller than my partial shade ones.

My plot starts 8+ sun in may, and will be around 5 in August.
Good thing, as it is a struggle to keep them from freezing till late may, early june---and august can top 100F for a few weeks straight.
High wind, short season.
Trying to see which ones will come out sturdy enough to survive, but so far, so good---except 7 pots seem to not like the burning rays so much, and the bushy ones (bolivian rainbow, White bullet hab, Thai) seem to enjoy the shadier spots on the plot.
As for podding---too early to tell yet. But the bushy ones are in full flower, while the supers are just putting out a few, and suffered the most wind damage.

Looks like the hotter the pepper, the weaker and more finicky the plant----in my particular location.

My garden of chilies receive around 11 hours of sun and all varieties seem to like all they can get in my experience. It's the heat/temps you have to watch. Pubes don't like heat at all, but most everything else will still produce pods up into the lower 90's F and even a little higher if not maintained at that level for too long. Shade cloth or misting can help keep them cool if temps are getting too high for pod set.

Back