• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Ordered a water pump today

Zander,

Haven't tried a garden hose yet because I can't use it in a real, inside grow. But the PSI should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80.

I do want to try a patio mister, just to see how it works. Once I start my new grow in the basement, I'll have room for a smaller one upstairs, perhaps two dozen basil plants under a 400 watt MH. I can easily sell a pound of basil leaves for $12, and about eight plants in a garden will deliver a pound per week. Over a 4-month period, the electricity would run about $60.

Mike

You need both pressure and sufficient flow to feed all of the sprayers. Different spray tips have varying flow rates, so a blanket statement of 5 GPH for a nozzle won't hold water. Most well pumps list in their specs GPH at different pressure ratings, but these small pumps I've seen on the web usually only list GPH or GPM and sometimes refer to their ability to lift water X number of feet. Using smaller tubing to feed the nozzles isn't the answer though. It sounds like you need a different more powerful pump (cheaper) for the job or use timed valves to feed only one row at a time (more expensive).

I think the pump I linked would have worked since it is rated at 1984 GPH with a 16' plus lift, but you would have probably needed a return/agitation line to the res to take care of the excess and a valve in this return line would allow you to regulate the pressure in the sprayer system.

^^^^ Exactly! A monster pump w/ a return and a valve would allow you to adjust the flow so there is just enough pressure and flow and the extra circulates the reservoir. Maybe not labeled as food grade, but that 1/2HP pump also includes a float switch. I'd be comfortable using it after a good soaking and cleaning.

SS,

The problem with running it part-time is the cost of a decent timer. I can get those that cycle on/off every 15 minutes (seven times a day) relatively cheap but to get one that allows me to set it for one minute on, ten minutes off (or whatever) is expensive, at least for an experiment.

Mike

SS,

That's a good price though the 40 minute cycle would take some time getting use to. But on that site, they mention an electronic CAP timer and Google turned up this! $10 more but way more options for setting times.

Which brings up a question. Ebb & Flow is always thought to be a decent method because as the water flows out, air is sucked in, giving the roots more oxygen. If this is fact and not theory, then it would make sense to use a timer and a larger pump than really necessary. Give the roots plenty of water but once every so often, allow the pump to turn off and water drain back.

Been slowly building my system in what little free time I have!

Mike

Actual price is not $10 more but $40 more. You're looking at amount saved and not final price.

If you're OK with the $67 price range I've seen better. :)

The 40 minute cycle repeats over and over again, so set your on off times within the 40 minute range and it repeats forever.

If you want to add a beefier pump, add one of these to the system. Much cheaper than adding those power specs to a timer from my observations.

SS,

A man needs to know his limitations! I can wire a house from the outside pole to the individual outlets, both 120 and 240, but I don't see me being able to build a timer!

Mike

Well, it's pretty simple when you have explicit instructions. :)

Check out his construction guide; very detailed and written for the inexperienced. Very short parts list too.

Believe me, it's much more simple than wiring a house and electronics projects are fun. ;)

Back