• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ordering from Chili Pepper Institute

I'm in my first season growing Habanero's via hydro along with various other mild peppers. Now I am considering ordering some peppers from the NMSU Chili Pepper Institute, my cousin lives in Las Cruces and my sister and mom are in NM right now and can bring back the seeds no problem.

What would you recommend with a good yield, decorative pepper, hot pepper and favorite pepper. It can be any one or all of these categories, I plan on ordering 10 packets of seeds or so.

Here is their list: http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/documents/09catalog.pdf

Conrad_Turbo said:
I'm in my first season growing Habanero's via hydro along with various other mild peppers.

Bhut Jolokia.

If you are ordering from NMSU you have to get the Bhut. You might even find it fairly hot. ;)

MrArboc said:
Bhut Jolokia.

If you are ordering from NMSU you have to get the Bhut. You might even find it fairly hot. ;)

I plan on buying two packages of Bhut Jolokia. :D

However I am not against mild peppers with fantastic taste either. I just want to grow a variety of really cool peppers that have thier own special trait, heavy production, heat, flavor, ease to grow and whatever else you guys may suggest based on your experiences. :D

+2! I got some bhuts via mail from a friend last year that got his seeds from NMSU. The pods were giants, some measuring nearly 4 inches in length. I saved the seeds, and am now growing these pods and they look the same. Huge and covered in pimples that let you know you're in for a ride!

I'm pretty sure this is the strain or variety that Pepper Joe is calling "Giant Bhut Jolokia". They've got the real deal with those seeds.

As far as pretty peppers, you can't beat numex twilight or Bailey's Pequin. The Bailey's is probably more tasty as well, but that twilight is a real looker when it's covered in pods of all different colors!

If grown in near perfect conditions, the Bhut will fulfill all of your requirements. I still look at some of those NMSU pics of their monster potted Bhuts sometimes and wonder what the hell those guys were feeding those plants. I'm still convinced there were dead bodies in the bottom of those pots!

jolokias in the philippines

my friend from the US just arrived with the Bhut seeds along others i ordered from NMSU. Not sure if they will even germinate here in the Philippines, we are having a spell of rains here right now. Humidity is 87% but am excited, really. i am growing habs from thailand (actually seeds of fruits from the grocery store) although not fruting yet, i can see no problem. NMSU's warning however makes you think twice, "JOLOKIA'S ARE REALLY HARD TO GROW, and we do not recommend them to novice growers..." We only have two seasons, the tropical wet and dry. do you think it's right time to germinate it or should i wait till the dry season comes?:?:

Don't trip on the warning. You can grow them. I can't give any real tips on gardening in the Phillippines, but just go for it!

bricks1962 said:
my friend from the US just arrived with the Bhut seeds along others i ordered from NMSU. Not sure if they will even germinate here in the Philippines, we are having a spell of rains here right now. Humidity is 87% but am excited, really. i am growing habs from thailand (actually seeds of fruits from the grocery store) although not fruting yet, i can see no problem. NMSU's warning however makes you think twice, "JOLOKIA'S ARE REALLY HARD TO GROW, and we do not recommend them to novice growers..." We only have two seasons, the tropical wet and dry. do you think it's right time to germinate it or should i wait till the dry season comes?:?:

Philliperv lives in the Philipines also and he grows the Naga Morich (cousin/brother/sister) to the Bhut...

maybe he will chime in here...

This is what I'm thinking of picking up:

2 x Bhut Jolokia (sheer heat)
1 x Red Caribbean (for variation)
1 x Orange Habanero (for variation)
1 x Serrano (typical pepper used for salsa)
1 x Aji Limon (beautiful looking pods)
1 x Numex Jalmundo (large jalapeno)
1 x Cayenne (for variation)
1 x Numex Twilight (decorative)
1 x Tabasco (quantity of prod'n)

I do plan on having a few growing in the house year round, as well as keeping a plant or two in my office at work. I know the Bhut Jolokia gets fairly large so that may have to be a seasonal crop...but I would like to have a few to keep indoors for year round pepper production and decoration.

Any other input on fantasic peppers you have grown? I know the C.Chinense are a slow growing plant, the ones I have in the garden are TINY (3" tall?), the 6 I have in a hydro setup are at least 12-15" tall. I guess what I'm trying to say is which of the above (or ones I may have missed) that would be very quick to grow? Or could grow well without a ton of sunlight?

bricks1962 said:

I was stationed in the Philippines for 13 months and you should have no problems growing year round, provided they don't drowned during monsoon season. ;)

:welcome: to the forum.

Conrad_Turbo said:
This is what I'm thinking of picking up:

2 x Bhut Jolokia (sheer heat)
1 x Red Caribbean (for variation)
1 x Orange Habanero (for variation)
1 x Serrano (typical pepper used for salsa)
1 x Aji Limon (beautiful looking pods)
1 x Numex Jalmundo (large jalapeno)
1 x Cayenne (for variation)
1 x Numex Twilight (decorative)
1 x Tabasco (quantity of prod'n)

Orange Habanero, Serrano, Cayenne - can't you get those seeds in most hardware/garden stores? I would get something a little more exclusive if ordering from CPI.

Silver_Surfer said:
I was stationed in the Philippines for 13 months and you should have no problems growing year round, provided they don't drowned during monsoon season. ;)

:welcome: to the forum.

Yes anything being started now needs to be inside.

I would 2nd FIVESTAR's recommendation on the Bailey's Pequin. Although I've never had the Bailey's version, Pequins are definately one of my favorites for flavor. Only thing is, they take a long time to grow out, so it's be a good one to start indoors, and plant out next summer.

bigt said:
Orange Habanero, Serrano, Cayenne - can't you get those seeds in most hardware/garden stores? I would get something a little more exclusive if ordering from CPI.

Not that I could find around here... Have any suggestions for more exclusive peppers?

I'm totally green to all the types of peppers so almost any advice is more than what I know. :D

origamiRN, which would you prefer Bailey's Pequin or the Numex Twilight? What is different about the Bailey's vs the regular Pequin?

Back