• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ordering hot food at restaurants

I have found the best way to increase your odds of actually getting very hot food at indian and thai restaurants is to ask them to prepare it "as hot as their conscience will allow," and make sure they repeat those directions to the chef.

I don't grow chillies in the privacy of my own backyard to be tough, I just enjoy a bit of heat with my food. millions of people understand this, otherwise spicy food wouldn't be the cultural dishes of many nations.

Haha, that bit made me chuckle Moshman.

My wife struggles with the whole chili head concept. She thinks that the fellas doing reviews on this forum are trying to somehow prove their manhood, and definitely trying to prove how macho and tough they are. That's why I had to laugh.

But I am slowly getting her to try more pepper flakes in her food, and in time she might be a chili head too.;)

And I've been taking a shaker of hot pepper flakes out to dinner with me, just so I can add the desired level of heat to my food. My wife just rolls her eyes, but maybe one day she'll get it. Haha.

As far as the el yucateco xxxtra hot mayan recipe hot sauce goes, I have a buddy on another forum who loves that stuff. He slathers it on pizza and says it makes him sweat pretty good.

I like the fact that it is made with natural ingredients and doesn't appear to have a lot of preservatives in it, if any.

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

The link above has it listed but rates it quite low on the heat scale. But some of those hot sauces and extracts near the top of the scale are probably a little too close to pure capsaicin for my liking.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Doug, it actually got the little "scotts pick" logo put next to it on this website.
I don't know where they get their ratings from but it would seem to be hotter than they are saying there.
Not to worry though, it's certainly my fav to buy if I run out of my own batch without having to order off the net.

djsketchie:
That's funny, have you tried this technique? I would do it just to see the waiters face when I said it.

I have a local thai restaurant and we are regulars there. After I got to know the owner a bit I brought her some habs from my garden which she now grows and understands how hot I like it :)

Omri:
Sounds good if I lived in your part of the world I think the kebabs would probably taste way better than ones we have in australia.

Yeah, Moshman I'm not sure how he gets his heat ratings, and since I haven't tried that particular sauce yet, I can't really say too much about it, other than that you and Scott both seem to like it.;)

I found that link and like to use it as a quick reference, when possible, to see where certain sauces and peppers rate heatwise.

And the fact that he says a little bit about each one doesn't hurt either.

I also like the idea of referencing everything in relation to a Jalapeno's heat. But even Japs can vary, so this is just a rough guide at best.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Definitely a good link there Doug. I look at those top end extract sauces and wonder why but I understand that people collect them etc. It's interesting to see that sauce in the list that sold for several thousand (can't remember how much it actually said).
I wish I bought 20 of those 6 years ago haha. Looks like a better investment than a house or shares ;)

I get the same thing. Indian hot at our local place isn't that hot at all. Warm sure.....but meh. Usually the only time it delivers is at certain wing places and then they bust out the extract. Yuck.

I have yet to find a restaurant that makes it Hot enough. I just bring whatever powder I'm in the mood for that particular night and doctor my own dish. THAT works every time.

Moshman:

The Yucatan is at the end of the curved arm part of Mexico when you look at a map....it is a state in Mexico. Much of the states on this arm (Campeche, Tabasco, Quintana Roo) are pretty flat and near sea level and the climate is steamy; this is where the really picante chinenses are grown in Mexico and this is common knowledge.

I think yucateco is playing on this.

SY....I dunno man, that xxx atomic at QS&L was DAMN good. It made me like extract sauces....even with the whole "hottest Sauce in the Universe" incident. lol

i had a Chinese lady friend who was highly very educated , she came from china and was a cook as well, she told me that in the orient generally spicy hot cooking came about as a necessity and with the poor especially the quality of the food was not very good

in Hungary this was kind true too but the rich caught onto the spicy trend and started to eat the peasant style food as well
so it would stand to reason that it was a cultural thing as well as an addiction and way to make bad food taste better

really hot peppers were used for many different reason AND YES EVEN THE MACHISMO ONE AS WELL!!

i have found myself using hot stuff for many reason listed here

i have a Mexican friend who tells me they even eat chilies for breakfast that is so cool!! he also enjoys the fact that he has a white friend that enjoys spicy just like he does

thanks your friend joe

I am going to a new Indian place in Mackay tonight with my wife, they do Indian Hot then they have a category above that called Extra Hot. I will ask for their hottest and see where the night leads me. I will try to get some pics of their menu to post along with a pic of their "Extra Hot" dish. Should make flying to Sydney from Mackay via Brisbane at 6:30 in the morning fun if they deliver in the heat stakes at any rate.
Full report to come.
icon_cool.gif

The menu:
MenuFront.jpg

MenuInside.jpg

I ordered the Indian Hot chicken Vindaloo and my wife ordered the Lamb Nawadi Paranda. We also got a mixed platter and some garlic cheese naan.

The heat verdict:

The vindaloo was decently spicy, it was definitely a lot hotter than other hot dishes I have ordered elsewhere which makes for a nice change. I didn't order it super hot. My reasoning was that if they were being serious with how they advertised their heat levels, I may not enjoy my meal as much. If say, it turned out to be hot like eating a plate of raw habanero hot, then I would prefer it to be a little easier to eat given the hangover I was sporting that day due to a night at the pub in NSW with old friends and 6 hours of plane/tranist time.
As it turned out, I think they may have sacrificed some flavor for the heat in the dish as it tasted more like eating a chillie puree than a curry but vindaloo may be like that at any rate.
I must say for heat it was fairly on the money as far as meeting my expectations, but I definitely preferred to eat the lamb dish my wife ordered, it tasted beautiful.

Back