Organic Purira

What do you meen by organic RI? Are you certified organic or just using organic fertilizers/pesticides? or did you buy the seeds as organic?

Organic? Hmmmm........

The seeds are Certified Organic from Seeds of Change.

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS15426
Certification Number OR-OTCO-CO-91-00050
Issue Date: 11-1-1991 Annual Inspection completed on 12-20-2007
by Kristy Korb, Certification Director, Oregon Tilth.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/about/SOC_OrganicCertification.pdf

Grown with Organic fertilizer,
(American Agritech Pureblend Pro is completely organic)
Derived From:
Fish meal, composted sea bird guano, sea kelp, spirulina, soybean protein extract, rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, calcium carbonate, humic acid*, fulvic acid*, citric acid*, raw sugar cane*, Agrimineral 72 (silica clay extract)*, amino acids*, B-complex vitamins*, and select botanical plant extracts*.
*Non plant food ingredients
http://www.americanagritech.com/product/product_detail.asp?ID=1&pro_id_pk=34

Pure 7ppm R.O. water, and love.

I am not a professional, but I think that qualifies as organic.

Oh, and to address PESTICIDES... are you kidding? with no soil, growing hydroponically indoors, why would I eat PESTICIDES?

Nasty.

I'd rather toss a whole garden.

I'm still confused, are you trading seeds you bought or seeds from your pods?
I know here I can't call something "organic" unless I'm certified which usually takes 4 years of inspections and testing, so you have to be creative with names like "naturally grown" or "chemical free".

Organic

Back from Vacation :)

I'm offering seeds grown organic from my own pods. I only grow one type at a time with a HEPA filter intake fan. That being said...

I am not selling for profit, only trying to spread the best seeds I can. I grow the cleanest way possible. Seed dispersal is my goal, not money.

I am looking to share the best seeds possible and that's it. My organic growing comes from my desire to eat my peppers, not make $ from them. I will never sell seeds, I only want to eat spicy foods. I hope you do too. :)

Has regulation removed my ability to call my peppers Organic? Not in this country. I won't dance around the word Organic if they are Organic.

I don't think anyone will question you on the organic thing. Nice plant! I am growing a really healthy looking Purira too.

I am not using a filter since it is out in the back yard;)

Also I am not so concerned with cross pollination. Thanks for sharing!

Trade

I'm not particular. Ideally I'd like to try whatever tastes good and is very hot. My PC-1 are finishing right now, and the purira will be a bit longer.

What do you have?

Potawie --

I'm pretty sure in the USA independent entities can call their produce "Organic," provided they use organic products. There's some restriction - once your farm is X large, or if you produce X amount of food, you need a certification. But, for instance, if I were to sell my peppers, I could call them organic. I only have like 10 plants. Certainly not enough to need a certification. Canada may be different.

What are Purira? I've never heard of or had them. Tasty?

Not to sound argumentative but
Every province, state, and country has their own definition of "organic" Here you need to be certified and there are a lot of certified organic people lately who are "ratting" on their non-certified competition making them change from the name "organic" to something worded slightly different or pay penalties.
If I wanted to be organic, I would have to buy seeds from somewhere certified organic and my land must be managed using organic practices for 36 months prior to harvest of the first certified organic crop.

"Organic farming is a method of crop and livestock production that involves much more than choosing not to use certain pesticides, fertilizers, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics, and growth hormones that are not permitted by organic standards.

The general principles of organic production, from Canada's Organic Standards, 2006, include the following:

protect the environment, minimize soil degradation and erosion, decrease pollution, optimize biological productivity and promote a sound state of health
maintain long-term soil fertility by optimizing conditions for biological activity within the soil
maintain biological diversity within the system
recycle materials and resources to the greatest extent possible within the enterprise
provide attentive care that promotes the health and meets the behavioural needs of livestock
prepare organic products, emphasizing careful processing, and handling methods in order to maintain the organic integrity and vital qualities of the products at all stages of production
rely on renewable resources in locally organized agricultural systems"
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/06-103.htm

POTAWIE said:
Oh and here's a purira. They are beautiful and hot with a bit of a smokey flavor

terrific looking plant..love the pods..wish id have grown it now lol and had the seeds and all hey theres next season :rolleyes:

Organic

POTAWIE said:
I would have to buy seeds from somewhere certified organic

Done.

POTAWIE said:
My land must be managed using organic practices for 36 months prior to harvest.

I don't use 'land' No soil = No land.

POTAWIE said:
minimize soil degradation and erosion

Again, no soil = no soil issues whatsoever.

POTAWIE said:
Optimize conditions for biological activity within the soil

Not to sound argumentative, but are you not talking to a soil using audience? This argument does not fit my thread.

ORGANIC Hydroponically grown Purira seeds coming soon :)

I was actually talking to Klyth:)

It's very difficult to get certified if you are using hydroponics but this doesn't mean the products are any less safe or tastey, just not "organic". Its mostly just labelling and marketing B.S. but you do need inspections or everyone would be selling "organic" and the term would be even more of a joke than it is now.

Organic

POTAWIE said:
You do need inspections or everyone would be selling "organic" and the term would be even more of a joke than it is now.

I am available for inspections and keep detailed records as required.

And finally, a quote from THE source in the USA:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop
PDF file:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004346&acct=nopgeninfo

'Who does NOT need to be certified?
Producers and handling (processing) operations that sell less than $5,000 a year in organic agricultural products. Although exempt from certification, these producers and handlers must abide by the national standards for organic products and may label their products as organic.'

Since I don't sell anything, I more than qualify for Organic labeling. If I were to sell, I would still call my products Organic as I qualify with my growing methods.

I do agree the requirements are lax for organic certification. The farmer's lobby fought hard for those concessions.

F**k England. We won! Happy birthday, America :)

Back