• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Origin of Douglah

I am looking for a truly nasty Douglah pheno. Something blistered and huge. Anyone have any good experiences with a particular vendor? This seems to be the thread to ask in. The one I grew this year was small and smooth walled :(

BSH said:
I am looking for a truly nasty Douglah pheno. Something spikey and huge. Anyone have any good experiences with a particular vendor? This seems to be the thread to ask in. The one I tried this year was small and smooth walled :(

Not sure what you mean by spiky.  Can you post a photo of the pod shape you are looking for?  I've got rows of fresh that will probably come in the next month or so.  I wouldnt use produce / field stock for seed saving, but they were grown from our seed stock.  So they will be a good example.  Still, I would not describe them as spiky.

Have not grown them in a while but my last batch looked like this...growing two different sources this year.

1921054_869043309796063_3203471894182222074_o.jpg

AJ Drew said:

Not sure what you mean by spiky.  Can you post a photo of the pod shape you are looking for?  I've got rows of fresh that will probably come in the next month or so.  I wouldnt use produce / field stock for seed saving, but they were grown from our seed stock.  So they will be a good example.  Still, I would not describe them as spiky.

I guess I meant pimpled...I have seen the odd video on youtube where the phenotype was scary looking with spikes (I think I saw Brad Bishop eat one like that) but that may have been a one off.  Anyway, a big, blistered douglah is what I'm after.  Mine are very smooth and plain.

Of course natural variants exist.  But over the years I have started to think a stray bee is more often the cause.  The douglah came into the US brown, but for all we know a stray bee cross pollinated a 7 pot maybe 100 years ago.  See what I mean?

I could be wrong.  Who really knows.  But I get the feeling a lot of land races are like that.

Pr0digal_son said:
The original "Trinidad Douglah" you spread back in the day is still the most painful pepper I have ever grown. On a pain + heat scale it would be pretty hard to top it.

+1 what you said, John. I'll never forget my first Douglah, (sent to me by romy6 several years ago) and the hour I spent in a fetal ball on the dining room floor...

AJ Drew said:
I am 99% sure the claim is wrong.  The word Dougla (also spelled Dogla and translated Douglah) kind of sort of means brown  More accurately, the word is used in he Caribbean to describe a brown people that were created in the Caribbean by folk from Africa and India having children together.  I am not entirely clear on the history of the people.  I think maybe a combination of slavery and English colonialism?  

Anyway, I gotta figure that the word also being used to mean brown means it is most likely the first douglah pepper was brown.

Never heard anyone referred to me as douglah probably behind my back lol.

If douglah means mixed race, then they could have been referring to the color of those people or implying that the pepper had mixed genes.

Back