• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Origin of Super Chile Hybrid's

Just be aware that the f1 plants should express what is known as heterosis or hybrid vigour and often be more productive than future generations

This is informative. Even if I were to sprout enough seeds to produce every variant of parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, and so on, I would have no way of knowing which combination to breed these, in order to get the original F1, so "reverse assembling" would not be possible. Could you provide me with a link to a good scientific article, describing the breeding - hybrid - F1 - F2 etc process, or maybe a good book.

In any event, I'll post pics of the plants as they develop and the peppers as they are produced.

Thanks

I don't quite understand the question but f2's will not only express dominant genes but also recessive genes and unlike f1s every plant should show different characteristics. In other words its not just growing features from the parent plants but also from grandparent and great-grandparent plants. It takes around 5-10 years of inbreeding to stabalize a hybrid

I don't think you could ever grow "every variant". There are just too many endless combinations. There is no way to get back to the original parent plant although you can choose seeds from plants that show the most desrisrable characteristics and then back-cross it with the original parent plant(although not known in this case) with the more desirable characteristics, but this would be a lot of work for a plant that is simply known for its productivity(likely due to f1 heterosis) and not really for any outstanding flavor

It is not my goal to produce every variant. I am just curuous id I would be able to. What if only 3 varieties were bred to produce the F1. With enoug offspring, shouldn't I be able to grow all 3?

I still don't really understand what you're getting at. To be an f1 there can only be a cross of 2 varieties which must be true-breeding, stabilized plants of distinctly different parental types. I don't think its possible to grow "every variant", its like 2 human parents will never duplicate the same offspring.

well i marked this forum in hopes someone would know what the parents of the Super Chili plant are. I have seeds from my nursery bought plants last year. I germinated 17 of them and now have very nice looking plants (which look nothing like the original Super Chili plant). I am very curious to see what the heck kind of fruit they produce...I have searched high and low for parental information on these but have not found anything really.

Apparently a Mirasol type hybrid. Not sure of the breeder

"SUPER CHILI is an ALL AMERICA SELECTION. Bred for exceptional yields, SUPER CHILI is a mirasol type hybrid. Small fruits are 35-40K Scoville units and ripen from green to orange to red and can be harvested 75-80 days from transplants. According to the breeder, it is not unusual to have 300 fruits on a plant."
http://www.tough-love.com/seed_descriptions.html#SUPER CHILI

Super Chili Hybrid has already been 'stabilized'.

Meet Matchbox.

acv3gg.jpg

"The squat plants bear prolific upright fruit, averaging 2" long, 1/3" across and ripening from pale green to deep scarlet.
Like Super Chili, they bear well in cold damp weather, hot dry weather, sandy soils and heavy clay. They have plenty of heat and the characteristic finely cut lightweight leaves."

The story behind Matchbox.....
http://www.mofga.org/Publications/MaineOrganicFarmerGardener/Winter20032004/MatchboxPeppers/tabid/1413/Default.aspx

I'll have seeds available at the end of the season if anyone is interested.

~Diggin'

mmcdermott1,

I'm just noticing your reply now.

Let's compare pics as the peppers grow.

Unfortunately for me, I don't live in the house where my family garden is, but will be there for the July 4th weekend and will post pics. Can you post some recent pics of you plants.

Thanks

I have searched high and low for parental information on these but have not found anything really.

You won't find any parental information.
Super Chili Hybrid is bred by Seminis.
Any parental information is proprietary....it's highly likely that any parental genetics is proprietary as well.

http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_hot_pepper/super_chili.asp

~Diggin'

Well, as of now, I have about 10 super chili plants from last years seeds. Only ONE actually took on the same traits. The rest look absolutely nothing like the original super chili plants. Will post pics when they start podding. Very tall slim plants. Actually about 3-4 different looks between them.

Well, as of now, I have about 10 super chili plants from last years seeds. Only ONE actually took on the same traits. The rest look absolutely nothing like the original super chili plants. Will post pics when they start podding. Very tall slim plants. Actually about 3-4 different looks between them.

What happened to the other 7?

What happened to the other 7?

I let most of them go cause I had to many of them. I actually got the seeds from a pod we found after the snow melted from last year..21 seeds..17 germinated..wasnt expecting that and i hate throwing away seedlings but just got out of hand. I wont eat all those and sure as heck don't need that many seeds lol. I'll have to look for sure how many i kept but i think its around 10 or so.

It always seemed to me that self-polinating plants would be the easiest to stabilize... just grow out as many F2s as you can and pick the ones that look the best, then let them polinate themselves/eachother and repeat a few times.
also, wouldn't it work well to cross something like an F3 back to one of the F1 plants(assuming you saved a plant/seed)? is there some sort of problem this causes that it wouldn't work? I would think that would give you a plant almost the same as the F1.

but someones already done the work... so there ya go.

technically speaking, i have a strong math intuition that breeding across multiple plants within an f2+ generation should result in quicker stabilization, at the risk of less variation/loss of a desired trait throughout future generations.

The F2 generation has the most visible genetic variation of any generation...and contains all combinations of parental traits.

If F2's are allowed to cross-pollinate each other, the parent genomes will become increasingly mixed. An intermediate type which is a blend of the parent types will come to prevail [after several generations] under repeated cross-pollination. Although the progeny will become more and more homogenous in appearance... a great deal of genetic variability... will be maintained in equilibrium. Occasionally, unusual types will crop up out of this genetic variability.

If F2's are self-pollinated instead, the variability in the F2 generation will be maintained in distinct lines each of which will become more and more stable within itself with each generation... By the time the lines have stabilized in the F5 or F6 generation...individuals in each line will be close to identical. However, the variability between lines will be maintained.

~Dig

"....wouldn't it work well to cross something like an F3 back to one of the F1 plants(assuming you saved a plant/seed)? is there some sort of problem this causes that it wouldn't work? I would think that would give you a plant almost the same as the F1."

Depends.
That can help if it's a simple 2 parent cross....but it's my guess that Super Chili Hybrid is a multi-parent cross as evidenced by the high rate of variability reported in the link I posted above....it that case, back-crossing isn't so reliable.

~Dig

Back